Thread: Ships Lists

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Default Ships Lists

Ahoy Mateys! I been landlocked for the past 3 years! Glad to have finally found the water.

Is there a list of all the ships released and their nationality any where?

Thanks for the help.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

May I suggest that you look in the Files section, Blake. I think that the second entry on this page provide much of what you are seeking, although it may be out of date. https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Thanks David. Tried to download but got error message saying security token didn't clear or something like that., contact admin.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Blake.
    You will need to PM Keith about this.
    As far as I can tell it is working O.K.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Woudl be a great idea to create something like in the WGF & WGS section of the Aerodrome.

A list with pictures & names of the released ships (& the KS ships).

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I actually have one that needs to be updated for Waves 3 and 4... there's an alternate link from my personal Dropbox on the file's page at https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloa...?do=file&id=77 . Sven, it also includes the "official" Ares portrait shots for everything and even the Starter and Kickstarter ships.

Planned revisions for version 4.0 include Known Issues where applicable on miniature sculpts, and I welcome suggestions for other relevant data to add.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Ahoy DB, that worked. Thanks. However, I didn't see any Spanish ships listed or did I miss them?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Blake, you didn't see 'em because, as I noted, the last update was Wave Two. I'm teeing up to take a run at Waves Three and Four, but I want to get a feel for what can be refined or improved, or useful features that can be added, first.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Ah ha, that's what happens when out of loop for so long. I don't know what is in the different waves. I really like the lists, and the photos Really help. Great job.

Would be nice to see this in a thread.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ares has also scrubbed and memoryholed the page for SGN112, so I'm having to work from memory and piece things back together. I had recommended they just archive and retire most of SGN112 1st release, reboot it as Bahama and the Ildefonsos and Mulligan the big Nepomucenos on a later sculpt.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

DB.
    I have the complete version two saved on my computer, and am printing it out as I type this out. I will post pictures of any pages you want as soon as I get time.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, *I* have the original Word doc that PDF was published from, and have already started adding Waves 3/4 content. :D Just doesn't have the Wave 3 or 4 info fully in yet, and Ares nuked the Nepomuceno page on their website and Wayback Machine doesn't have the original.

Right now I wish I had Mod cred, because what I'd really like to do would be something like your battle discussions, with one locked thread for the data and an open one for discussion of it. Thinking one post per sculpt--I have all the Ares "portrait photos" to work with too, and I don't trust some of our more triggerhappy sorts to read my "NO COMMENTS PLEASE" and follow it. :p
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I you want to do anything open with a no comments proviso just go ahead. If anyone adds comments tip me the wink and I will delete them for you.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Is it this page you are looking for at Ares?

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-...ps-of-the-line

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Is it this page you are looking for at Ares?

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-...ps-of-the-line
    Jonas, the page I had was a blanked-out version at the same URL, in two tries over six hours a few days ago. Maybe there was a glitch in the server or something... never know, after all it *was* 2017, the Year of Hell.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Ares has also scrubbed and memoryholed the page for SGN112, so I'm having to work from memory and piece things back together. I had recommended they just archive and retire most of SGN112 1st release, reboot it as Bahama and the Ildefonsos and Mulligan the big Nepomucenos on a later sculpt.
    I'm confused. Wasn't it the Meregildos (SGN111) that were undersized? It would be neat if they re-released them in a more appropriate size compared to the other 1st rates. The minis were attractive, just small.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

ALL of Waves 3 (and maybe 4, though they beefed up the Spanish frigate a bit, though Bucentaure last I knew still sounded badly undersize) are around 10-20% undersize. Combine that with Constitution being 12% oversize, and...

And you can forget a resculpt. Best we can do is MAYBE having the Bahama sculpt's Nepomuceno SKU-mates replaced with Ildefonsos and possibly getting a second stab at the older 74's on a future sculpt, and even that's iffy. Tooling is VERY expensive stuff, and they're not gonna just cut up what they have for scrapmetal and replace unless the ROI benefit of doing so significantly outweighs the cost. Hell, look at how Monogram and other companies still insist on continuing to run "scale" models on worn-out, obsolete tooling that was made before my parents were born! *stares pointedly at the POS that was my last Monogram F-106*
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I'm confused. Wasn't it the Meregildos (SGN111) that were undersized? It would be neat if they re-released them in a more appropriate size compared to the other 1st rates. The minis were attractive, just small.
    Agree with DB the SGN 111 and 112 wave 3 and SGN 115 wave 4 are on the small side of life, the frigates and 64s in those waves you can get away with, though for me the 50 gun Portlands still look tidgey.
    But if we can get the Bahama and San Ildelfonso out of the sculpts we got two ships for Trafalgar, I am keeping the ones I got for that purpose and hope before I cash in my chips they release some other sculpts to bring them into line with wave 1 and 2

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Agree with DB the SGN 111 and 112 wave 3 and SGN 115 wave 4 are on the small side of life, the frigates and 64s in those waves you can get away with, though for me the 50 gun Portlands still look tidgey.
    But if we can get the Bahama and San Ildelfonso out of the sculpts we got two ships for Trafalgar, I am keeping the ones I got for that purpose and hope before I cash in my chips they release some other sculpts to bring them into line with wave 1 and 2
    All of Wave 3 is Under, the question is what's "Tolerable". Believe me, unless something changes to punch tooling costs through the floor, like 3d-print-on-demand becoming a viable business model, there will be no retool until the tools they have are worn beyond further use--which takes decades of regular use day-in-day-out, so think on the life expectancy of tooling that's only fired up every few years to decade.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Re your other thread on Ship releases, https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Online-Edition.

You could close the thread until it is completed DB.
    If not I will cast an eye over it from time to time and delete any comments.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Re your other thread on Ship releases, https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Online-Edition.

You could close the thread until it is completed DB.
    If not I will cast an eye over it from time to time and delete any comments.
    Rob.
    Thanks--can't seem to find a "Close" option, though. Better way would be if somebody fails to honor my request to let me finish and keep that thread just Data Warehouse, I'll open the Discussion spinoff then and ask you to move. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or, we can just use this thread for discussion. What's the community take, between big pics (like SGN101 in that thread) or not-so-big (like SGN103; both are official Ares pics straight from their server)?

After all, not everybody has a Jumbotron for a laptop screen like I do... :D
    Last edited by Diamondback; 01-04-2018 at 04:02.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

I think the smaller without the logo is best suited, plus I don't believe there is a large pic of 113b.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would go for smallest too. Saves a lot of ink when printing out.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Speaking of small, I was looking at my Leander, and thinking about cutting it up for parts. Then I checked Wikipedia, that source of all knowledge, and saw that Portlands were only 1 foot longer than Concordes overall. Comparing minis, they seem pretty good on that score, though it is hard to imagine such a tiny rater slugging it out at the Nile...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dobbs, ThreeDecks--Ares's primary data source--is better than Wikipedia, and Rif Winfield's "___ Warships in the Age of Sail" volumes *usually* beat ThreeDecks. I say usually because the first edition of BWAS 1793-1817 had a typo that overstated the size of Humphreys superfrigates by 20', thus the oversize Constitution.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB