Thread: Kalmar Nyckel Documentary

Default Kalmar Nyckel Documentary

There is a documentary about the 17th century Swedish expedition to the New World aboard a Dutch ship, the Kalmar Nyckel on tonight at 9 pm EST. I used to be a crew member on the replica which sails out of Wilmington Delaware in the US. Of course the replica is featured in the show!

Unfortunately it is on a local Public TV station (WHYY) so I am not sure who will be able to see it - maybe it is available streaming.

https://whyy.org/kalmar-nyckel-forgo...m=kalmarnyckel

Also the ship's website:

http://kalmarnyckel.org/

I little bit before our SoG period but still she is a beautiful tall ship.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's a great looking replica!

Were there any drawings that it was based on?

I think most of our knowledge of seventeenth century Swedish ships are mostly based on Wasa and Kronan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting trailer Eric.
    Thanks for sharing it. it has whet my appetite even if I can't get the film itself.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    It's a great looking replica!

Were there any drawings that it was based on?

I think most of our knowledge of seventeenth century Swedish ships are mostly based on Wasa and Kronan.
    I don't think any official draughts. They may have had some documents like memoirs and tax records which gave the general size and type of ship. The original was a Dutch pinnace built in 1625 and purchased by the city of Kalmar. Actually still today the sister city of Wilmington Delaware.

The book I have on the ship, Swedish settlements and voyages has an illustration by Swedish marine artist Carl Hendal Friberg on the cover, which the notes say was well researched.

https://www.amazon.com/Man-His-Ship-...s=Peter+Minuit

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, the Swedish navy during the seventh century was very much Dutch inspired (copied). That includes many things from designs to names of ship parts.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If it is ever broadcast on PBS we may be able to see it, because PBS is now available on HD Freeview Channel 94.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Well, the Swedish navy during the seventh century was very much Dutch inspired (copied). That includes many things from designs to names of ship parts.
    It is also true that many of our nautical terms have a Dutch derivation Skipper.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.