Name
    Dobbs

Default My Mosquito Fleet

Name:  20171211_134927.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  134.3 KBName:  20171211_133952.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  119.7 KB

When I got into this game, I thought the 3rd rates were fun. Then I started kitbashing the sloops and tweaking the rules to make them more playable. I now have 3 ship-rigged, 2 brigs, 2 schooners, a brigantine, and my mortar ketch. Yet to come is a xebec or lugger.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-11-2017 at 12:35.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I've always found that small ship actions were lots of fun, and the various groups I've played with over the last 20+ years or so tend to agree. Whilst we enjoy the occasional fleet action every now and then a spirited frigate action or a coastal mini campaign with sloops, luggers, gunboats and all manner of small ship odds and ends (not to mention landing parties, batteries and signalling towers to raid) is by far the most popular

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can see that I'm going to have to get on with the ones I bought at the World Championships now Dobbs.
    May be a bit of time now that the Coastal terrain models are finished.
    Yours certainly look super.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Inspiring Dobbs. I have been collecting sloops for just such a project so your posting is quite timely. I have found a reliable less expensive supplier, Colossalcomics on ebay, has all three with a or best offer which if you like to haggle a little is perfect. Top-notch fleet.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Awesome. Can you post your ship stats and alternate rules here? I am branching out the ship types in my virtual rendition.

Nice little fleet.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Awesome. Can you post your ship stats and alternate rules here? I am branching out the ship types in my virtual rendition.
    This is from my post in the House Rules:

"Any sloop firing at any target subtracts 2. If you draw a chit with a 1 or a 2 on it, it is treated as a 0. A chit with a 3 is treated as a chit with a 1, etc. Any extra damage; such as crew, rudder, mast, etc, is treated normally. It may be necessary to have chits to place on the damage chart to keep track of the reduced firepower of sloops.

I also suggest this for the frigates armed with 12 pounders, only with a -1 instead."

I have also made it that Burden 1 vessels don't have to plan a turn ahead, to represent their agility.

The most significant change I made to the game is giving the ships the ability to take damage on either side, thusly making them almost twice as durable, and the game less "swingy".

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    This is from my post in the House Rules:

"Any sloop firing at any target subtracts 2. If you draw a chit with a 1 or a 2 on it, it is treated as a 0. A chit with a 3 is treated as a chit with a 1, etc. Any extra damage; such as crew, rudder, mast, etc, is treated normally. It may be necessary to have chits to place on the damage chart to keep track of the reduced firepower of sloops.

I also suggest this for the frigates armed with 12 pounders, only with a -1 instead."

I have also made it that Burden 1 vessels don't have to plan a turn ahead, to represent their agility.

The most significant change I made to the game is giving the ships the ability to take damage on either side, thusly making them almost twice as durable, and the game less "swingy".
    Thanks. One comment on tracking damage on both sides, is the artillery firepower the worst of the two sides or separate? Reason being, once a cannon ball penetrates through the opposite battery can easily be impacted.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

101 - Hermione.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks. One comment on tracking damage on both sides, is the artillery firepower the worst of the two sides or separate? Reason being, once a cannon ball penetrates through the opposite battery can easily be impacted.
    Separate. Here's how I handle that: If a Burden 3 ship takes a chit in excess of 3, the remainder is put on the opposite side. If the total damage on the chit exceeds both sides, the excess is lost.

Incidentally, I switched the A and C decks on the 12 pounder frigates, as I felt that historically French frigates were faster. I also bumped the Amazons up to Burden 3 and reserved Burden 2 for post ships/corvettes.

Oh, and the ships' crews have been increased to offset the increased ability to absorb damage.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-15-2017 at 10:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Super timing with this info Dobbs.
    I am about to make the play mats for my Chilean Navy Corvettes.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Aaron, I'm going to start a new post in house rules about my side specific damage.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Aaron, I'm going to start a new post in house rules about my side specific damage.
    excellent!

Nice work Dobbs. I have always enjoyed the small ship actions, in particular the battles on the Great Lakes. Kind of hard to model schooners with one gun in SoG RAW.

Lots of action in the Chesapeake for your fleet as well. Cutting out actions, privateers, etc. I have a number of Langton brigs and schooners but looks like I may buy some more of the sloops!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Eric, if you are close to "Days of Knights", I think they still have some sloops at bargain prices. You have to ask for them. They're in the backroom. I've called ahead so they can rummage without leaving the store unattended.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That is, to say, I call ahead when I'm going there looking for SoG stuff.

Eric, if you are close to "Days of Knights", I think they still have some sloops at bargain prices. You have to ask for them. They're in the backroom. I've called ahead so they can rummage without leaving the store unattended.
    Thanks - yes I am about 15 minutes from DoK. I haven't been there in awhile. Had I thought about it earlier I would have picked up some sloops when I was demoing SoG at PAX Unplugged in Philly (picked up the new ships though).

After I saw your pictures I pulled out my Langton ships and I do have 3 brigs, 4 schooners and some gunboats I painted for a lake battles project, so they might do.

BTW - you may be interested in the Kalmar Nyckel documentary on WHYY tonight @9 pm. It is about the original Swedish expedition to set up in the Delaware Bay area.

https://whyy.org/kalmar-nyckel-forgo...m=kalmarnyckel