Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by William Bush View Post
    I am honoured, Admiral!

And I am looking forward to the opportunity of hopefully adding some daring deeds next Sunday to my many words.

Lt. Bush
    Capital Mr Bush.

I await your battle Dispatches with high expectation from a young officer who has already made such a mark for himself, with two Bronze medals to his name, after less than two months service since being assigned to the Fleet.

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On behalf of the Board of Admiralty ,it gives me great pleasure to announce the award of the Ten Years of Service award to Eric DERuyter.

Congratulations Eric.

Wm. Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

There's preserverence! Well done Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheets View Post
    There's preserverence! Well done Eric.
    Thanks. That also means that SoG has been out for ten years!

Whenever a ten year anniversary comes along I can't help but be reminded of a classic tune:

"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very poignant Eric, although the Sun is also technically another day nearer to death too.

It is also true that the actual game started a bit earlier than that, and our Ten years started with the opening of the Anchorage by the Royal Hajj on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. Those who joined in that first year were granted the same medal as your own but with the addition of a Fouled Anchor attached to the ribbon. Nevertheless the honour is still very prestigious and you are the very first recipient of this medal.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Very poignant Eric, although the Sun is also technically another day nearer to death too.

It is also true that the actual game started a bit earlier than that, and our Ten years started with the opening of the Anchorage by the Royal Hajj on Wednesday, November 23, 2011. Those who joined in that first year were granted the same medal as your own but with the addition of a Fouled Anchor attached to the ribbon. Nevertheless the honour is still very prestigious and you are the very first recipient of this medal.

Rob.
    The Kickstarter was in 2013 though or at least my spreadsheets are dated to 2013, which is why I mentioned it. The rule book is copyrighted 2013. Perhaps you are thinking of earlier play testing?

Also, I am approaching retirement and thinking it is time to get back to more actual sailing again before time runs short, which of course brings up the Floyd lines!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As you can see Eric my own membership dates from Nov 2011 and I was not involved in the play testing.
    Rob.

Right but I meant the game itself was not released until 2013. The final game components were shown at Essen Spiel October 2013 and the Kickstarter backers received their items later in the fall. Royal Hajj may have set up this forum well before the public release of the game. The game was in development for quite a while. I was confused so I verified my recollection on the Ares website.

So, the 10-year anniversary of the release will be later this year.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I don't expect that Keith will want to release another medal for that Eric.
    These are just related to the Anchorage itself, like the founder members medals.
    Rob.

I don't expect that Keith will want to release another medal for that Eric.
    These are just related to the Anchorage itself, like the founder members medals.
    Rob.
    Oh no you misunderstand, I wasn't thinking about medals for that, I just wanted to point out that this year coincides with the 10th anniversary of the release of the game!

Now running a 10th anniversary game of SoG this fall would certainly be appropriate!

Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a great idea Eric. We could even dedicate our Copenhagen fight at Doncaster at the end of September to the anniversary. Do you have any shws over your side of the pond at about the same time?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just read your Cold Wars post Eric, so I guess that answers my question.
    I will leave that one with your good self.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And for the third month running Lt. William Bush takes the medal for monthly top poster. This time the silver.
    Congratulations yet again William.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No surprises here either, Mr Bush also takes the Silver Top Thread starter medal for the third month running. This is unprecedented in the annals of the Anchorage.

Congratulations yet again.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I am much obliged, Admiral.

Especially, since my despatches of the latest action are still due.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 01:02.
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today we congratulate Mr Bush yet again as he succeeded in passing his examination for Midshipman yesterday.

Looks like the drinks will be on you in the middies' berth this evening!

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Today we congratulate Mr Bush yet again as he succeeded in passing his examination for Midshipman yesterday.

Looks like the drinks will be on you in the middies' berth this evening!

Bligh.
    Thank you again. You bet that I had the cold sweat on my forehead when questioned about the navigational calculations...

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am pleased to announce that Paul, ShadowDragon has been awarded the medal for 100 photos.

Congratulations sir.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It gives me great pleasure to announce the award of the second Ten Year Medal to Jim, Nightmoss.

Congratulations Admiral.

Bligh.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

10 Years!?! Hardly seems possible, but time waits for no one. Thanks very much! Bars open!!
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 01:01.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you sir. I think you know what mine will be Jim.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Congratulations to all who have been awarded medals!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For the fourth consecutive month William Bush has posted the most and now joins the august body of Gold medal top monthly posters.

Congratulations Lt. Bush.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The April top thread starter is Paul, aka ShadowDragon, who also receives the Gold Medal for this accomplishment.

Congratulations Paul.

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 00:56.

Ooh! Nice. Appreciated.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 00:58.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

I respectfully thank the Admiralty for this honor which has been bestowed on its humble servant.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 01:01.
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Congratulations to both of you and thank you for keeping the forum alive.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today two shipmates share the medal for correctly answering this month's trivia quiz.
    They are Dobbs and Lt. William Bush.

Congratulations gentlemen.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Thank you for this promotion, Admiral. In fact, I learned fascinating things about the coaches in use by the British royalty, I had never discovered if it were not for the trivia challenge you presented us with.

Lt. Bush
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 01:00.
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Yes, thank you, Admiral, for posting a fun question that promoted a bit of learning outside the ordinary!
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-26-2023 at 01:00.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This morning I would like to congratulate Uwe, Jack Aubery on passing for Midshipman.

Congratulations Jack.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

Many Thanks.
    It´s a long way…

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Congratulations, Uwe!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Gentlemen, I have noticed a tendency creeping in to include the picture of medal honours when answering to my awards. I have edited these posts to remove the quotes as the pictures are using up valuable resources and just like adding repeats of photos to your posts will not only slow processing in time but fill up our storage allowance on the server. Unless the addition of quotes with photos is essential to the post you are making will you please try and remember to delete unwanted pictures from quotes in future, to save my time in culling your posts.
    Thank you all for your contributions.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-01-2023 at 04:49.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The month of May top poster medal goes to Uwe, JackAubrey1805. He now has the Bronze award in this class.

Congratulations Uwe.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For may the top monthly Thread Starter medal is awarded to Eric, DeRuyter.

Congratulations to you Eric.

Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Congratulations to you all.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Our top monthly poster for June is awarded to David, Lieste.

Congratulations David.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The top monthly thread starter for June is Michael, MWBell.

Congratulations to you Mike.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a medal not awarded very often but this one goes to Chris, Malachi for two years participation at Origins.
    Congratulations Chris.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also the One Year Participant medal goes to Tim, crashx.

Congratulations Tim.

Bligh.

Congrats to all the new medal recipients. That extra weight around your necks will lessen the chances of hitting your head when traversing a hatch!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Congratulations all, gentlemen!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another award goes to Jim Rhodie80 for members who provides significant help during registered Sails of Glory events at Origins. He achieved this by helping to arrange the Sails games with the Origins organizers prior to the event.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Timothy

Also the One Year Participant medal goes to Tim, crashx.

Congratulations Tim.

Bligh.
    Thank you Admiral!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today it also gives me great pleasure to be able to award the Origins Participation medal to Mike, aka Mikejr74.

Congratulations Mike.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And I think the final medal for Origins is granted to Peter, Two Sheets, for helping to organize the Sails games at the event.

Thanks for all your work Pete, and for helping me to sort out the medals.

Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The medal for Top Monthly poster for July is awarded to Mike, MWBell.

Congratulations Mike.

Bligh

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Our Top Monthly thread starter medal for July is awarded to Peter, Two Sheets.

Congratulations to you Peter.

Bligh.