Thread: Ares Carronade rules

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I used aiming high in one of the solo play scenarios. It's in an AAR somewhere.

It worked precisely as you'd expect. It was lousy and mostly just lessened the damage.

In the scenario there was a risk of killing the sought after person if the hull took damage (or some such rule) so it worked for that, but I would NEVER use it otherwise.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Up to now, I also have rarely used aim high or chain shot to be honest.
    Never seen it used in a game of any kind at shows etc.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I remember why I never use it or chain shot Jonas and Chris.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Has anyone talked about carronades using A chits at short range, and B chits at chain grape range? I have never used carronades, but avidly follow your conversations, to see if something hooks me in.

I've been thinking about standardizing. Before an engagement, a player states if his ship is armed with: no carronades, 25%, carronades (Guerriere for example), or 50% carronades (Constitution) - round all fractions down, for instance, a broadside of 5 becomes 3 long guns, and 2 carronades for Constitution. This allows creation of a table to reflect whatever portion of your broadside strength is carronades at any strength of broadside.

I haven't given quantifiable thought to ships like the Egmont or Essex yet, but I'm thinking about it. They would certainly be powerful, but Essex was defeated by her opponents staying out of short range.

Mainly I'm interested if anyone has used carronades with the range limitations I've described, or if they have any value.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-17-2018 at 15:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The only changes I have made to the Carronade rules Dobbs is to strengthen the Ares ones, E.g. Allowing double shot and Grape to be used.
    This because otherwise when play testing I found the minimal advantages of Carronades did not make it worth fielding them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here I thought everyone was saying they were to powerful! Oops, misunderstanding...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I believe some do Dobbs. I could never subscribe to that opinion.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Has anyone done a side-by-side shootout of identical ships using Standard and Ares Carronade rules, just "trade broadsides and see who sinks first"?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

From the close up effect with random elements taken out and if allowed to double shot your Carronades they have a distinct edge.
    If you have to make an approach first and take even only one first time broadside of A chits before you can get up close and friendly you are playing catch up for the entire engagement if you sit there and trade off shots. However, a Captain with a bit of nous can maneuver into a favourable position where his fire every card is an advantage.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My newest attempt is:

Solid Double shot is two "A" chits at close range, an "A" and "B" at grape range.
    Double with grape is an "A" at short, and a "B" and "D" at grape range.
    No chain it double shotting.

Carronades: Before play, players decide what percentage of their ship’s broadside is carronades. Carronades may fire every turn, but only at short range or less. Damage at short range uses the “A” chits. When within Chain and Grape range damage uses the B chits.

Carronades my be double shotted, but only with ball and grape. Double shotting a carronade takes an extra turn (it may fire every other turn).

Carronade Table
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    25% - - 1 1 1 2 2 2
    50% - 1 1 2 2 3 3 4

If you play with my rules for ships with 12 pdrs and less subtracting from the numerical damage, this makes an all carronade equipped SoW fight much above her weight, since the carronades would be 18 pdrs or better. This is in line with the historical record. It also makes carronades appealing for 32 and 34 gun frigates. For larger ships, the advantage becomes more a matter of the captain's view on tactics.

Since the primary tactic was to get in close before the advent of shell guns, the appeal of carronades is obvious.

An example of the failure of the power of the carronade is in the last engagement of the Constitution, when two carronade equipped post ships tried to take her on. Not being able to stay close and work as a team was their undoing (not that they really had a chance...).