Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Weight of Shot

  1. #1
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default Weight of Shot

    This past weekend, we played a number of Sloop actions. I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone how fast a sloop falls apart.

    It got me to thinking though. A sloop fighting a sloop ought to be able to take damage like a frigate vs. a frigate, or 3rd vs. 3rd, etc. It's just that SoG is treating all guns as the same weight of shot.

    I propose that ships with less than 12 pdrs subtract -2 from any numerical broadside damage. Ships with 12 pdrs, -1.

    18, 24, and 32 pdrs all get equal treatment as their ship smashing strength is expressed in the broadside numbers.

  2. #2
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    TX
    Log Entries
    312
    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Aaron

    Default

    I would think it's the classic defense vs offense and in our case it's (Burden, Slot count) vs (Artillery, falloff curve along slots).. Sloops would be short in both of these thus each ship class (much like boxing) playing out amongst its own weight.

    Are you implying that each class should roughly take the same number of rounds to reach a winner (bearing the skill of players)?

  3. #3
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    It would certainly extend a game if using a sloop. I will give it a try next time I use my sloops.
    Could also make Great Lakes games worth the playing.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  4. #4
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Are you implying that each class should roughly take the same number of rounds to reach a winner (bearing the skill of players)?
    A sloop is designed to hold its own in a fight with another sloop, but can you imagine the lack of effect of a sloop's broadside of 7 6 pounders (maybe less) against a 74? Two of the lower gundeck guns are greater than the sloop's broadside! Aside from lucky shots, would the 74 even notice the sloop?
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-22-2017 at 17:05.

  5. #5
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Our experience was that a player who got a good draw on the opening shot dominated the battle, much more so than in engagements using larger ships. In fact, a few of the engagements were limited to the opening shots, then the more heavily damaged ship fleeing. In fact, once, we had a ship rake an opponent with the double shot, raking, opening shot bonuses. Of course that should be bad, but that bad?

    I think by reducing the effectiveness of the smaller ship' draws, it reflects the reduced likelihood of a 6 pounder doing a "6" in damage. If a "2" becomes a "0", it doesn't necessarily mean you missed, maybe it just shows an irrelevant hit ("her sides were made of iron").

  6. #6
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    This also gives players the ability to not use the minuses to reflect a small ship armed entirely with carronades, as many were. For instance, no minuses, but no long range for a sloop with 24 pound carronades.

  7. #7
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    TX
    Log Entries
    312
    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Aaron

    Default

    I see where you are going with this. I forget there are some big hitting chits in there.

  8. #8
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Good point Dobbs.
    This brings us back to the fact that tinkering with the carefully trialed and tested balanced rules can have a bigger effect on game play than it at first appears. Guess it is best to leave well alone.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  9. #9
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good point Dobbs.
    This brings us back to the fact that tinkering with the carefully trialed and tested balanced rules can have a bigger effect on game play than it at first appears. Guess it is best to leave well alone.
    Rob.
    I'm not sure I understand, Rob?

  10. #10
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    In fact, once, we had a ship rake an opponent with the double shot, raking, opening shot bonuses. Of course that should be bad, but that bad?
    Sorry, I think I misunderstood your meaning here Dobbs. Along with Aaron's remark, " I see where you are going with this. I forget there are some big hitting chits in there".

    Thinking that it would give the Sloop an advantage outside its weight.
    I have not tried all carronade armed Sloops so can't tell if this would unfairly influence an action against a Frigate for instance.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  11. #11
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Sorry, I think I misunderstood your meaning here Dobbs. Along with Aaron's remark, " I see where you are going with this. I forget there are some big hitting chits in there".

    Thinking that it would give the Sloop an advantage outside its weight.
    I have not tried all carronade armed Sloops so can't tell if this would unfairly influence an action against a Frigate for instance.
    Rob.
    Historically, in the Constitution's last fight, it was against two sloops, or post ships, which were primarily armed with carronades. one might guess that the weight of their broadsides is what gave them the opinion that they stood a fighting chance.

    In my rethinking, carronade sloops would be like sloops as they are with unmodified rules, only with no long range. Sloops with long guns (6 pounders) would subtract -2 from any numerical chit result, to represent the lesser punch of the smaller guns, but would be able to fire at long range.

  12. #12
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    315
    Name
    Bob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Historically, in the Constitution's last fight, it was against two sloops, or post ships, which were primarily armed with carronades. one might guess that the weight of their broadsides is what gave them the opinion that they stood a fighting chance.

    In my rethinking, carronade sloops would be like sloops as they are with unmodified rules, only with no long range. Sloops with long guns (6 pounders) would subtract -2 from any numerical chit result, to represent the lesser punch of the smaller guns, but would be able to fire at long range.
    Dobbs,
    I agree and like this change in the rules, but would like to see 1, 2, an 3 damage chits treated as 1 point hits. The oak on the side of a sloop, schooner, or xebec was pretty thin.
    Bob

    Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

  13. #13
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    Dobbs,
    I agree and like this change in the rules, but would like to see 1, 2, an 3 damage chits treated as 1 point hits. The oak on the side of a sloop, schooner, or xebec was pretty thin.
    Bob, are you saying that instead of just subtracting 2 from any numerical chits, and counting 1's and 2's as 0, that chits numbered 1-3 would just be 1's and the higher numbers would subtract 2?

  14. #14
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    315
    Name
    Bob

    Default

    Yes
    Bob

    Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

  15. #15

    Default

    Ares shot themselves in the foot with such a cramped stat range, which means that if there is to be any meaningful differentiation between the larger ships then smaller ships get lumped into a very unsatisfactory saminess. What works really well, if you are looking at "small ship" actions (frigates and smaller) is to restat the ships so that a high-end frigate has similar gunnery and burden stats to a top of the range SOL and work down from that. I've tried it informally a few times, and it makes for much more satisfying frigate actions, and lets you generate some real differences between various types of 28, 32 and 36 gunners. One day, when I get some time, I may just work up some ships mats fr this approach, unless someone picks up the ball and runs with it (I'm not exactly flush with free time just now)

  16. #16
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Sounds good to me Dave.
    Maybe once we have Christmas out of the way we could take a look at it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  17. #17

    Default

    I did the same thing for Warhammer Trafalgar. Turned a mediocre fleet action set into a half decent frigate action set. One of my friends in Oz did a complete rewrite, melding my variant into the originals to form a single document which he then used for a Great Lakes campaign with some success.

  18. #18
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    I think my original concept is the best. Changing the 1-3 chits to 1's doesn't affect the way a Burden 1 ship takes damage, but it does reduce the firepower against larger ships. Subtracting 2 from the chits reduces the strength of a lightly armed ship's broadside, and makes a sloop on sloop duel more finess-y. I suggest -1 to the chits for the 12 pounder frigates.

  19. #19
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    That is the sort of quick fix I like Dobbs. Nice and easy to implement without a lot of book keeping.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  20. #20
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    TX
    Log Entries
    312
    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Aaron

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think my original concept is the best. Changing the 1-3 chits to 1's doesn't affect the way a Burden 1 ship takes damage, but it does reduce the firepower against larger ships. Subtracting 2 from the chits reduces the strength of a lightly armed ship's broadside, and makes a sloop on sloop duel more finess-y. I suggest -1 to the chits for the 12 pounder frigates.
    Dobbs,

    Regarding this proposed rule for sloops, would this -2 rule only apply to sloops shooting at other sloops? If a sloop fired on a Frigate does it also apply?

  21. #21

    Default

    How do you manage the chits that are reduced in effectiveness? Do you make up additional "1"s to replace the higher value ones?

  22. #22
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Any sloop firing at any target subtracts 2. If you draw a chit with a 1 or a 2 on it, it is treated as a 0. A chit with a 3 is treated as a chit with a 1, etc. Any extra damage; such as crew, rudder, mast, etc, is treated normally. It may be necessary to have chits to place on the damage chart to keep track of the reduced firepower of sloops.

    I also suggest this for the frigates armed with 12 pounders, only with a -1 instead.

  23. #23
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    How do you manage the chits that are reduced in effectiveness? Do you make up additional "1"s to replace the higher value ones?
    No additional chits need to be added to the draw, just maybe for placing on the damage. Additional chits in the draw wouldn't change anything in a burden 1 vs. burden 1 battle.

  24. #24
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    315
    Name
    Bob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think my original concept is the best. Changing the 1-3 chits to 1's doesn't affect the way a Burden 1 ship takes damage, but it does reduce the firepower against larger ships. Subtracting 2 from the chits reduces the strength of a lightly armed ship's broadside, and makes a sloop on sloop duel more finess-y. I suggest -1 to the chits for the 12 pounder frigates.
    I think you’re right. Thanks.
    Bob

    Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

  25. #25
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    315
    Name
    Bob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Any sloop firing at any target subtracts 2. If you draw a chit with a 1 or a 2 on it, it is treated as a 0. A chit with a 3 is treated as a chit with a 1, etc. Any extra damage; such as crew, rudder, mast, etc, is treated normally. It may be necessary to have chits to place on the damage chart to keep track of the reduced firepower of sloops.

    I also suggest this for the frigates armed with 12 pounders, only with a -1 instead.
    Yup, try placing the chits received from sloops inverted and the ones from frigates sideways.
    Bob

    Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

  26. #26
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    Yup, try placing the chits received from sloops inverted and the ones from frigates sideways.
    That's a good and simple solution, Bob! Certainly removes the need for extra chits.

  27. #27
    Midshipman
    Australia

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Queensland
    Log Entries
    217
    Name
    Alastair

    Default

    So far our group has only played with ships of the line in getting the hang of the rules, but it is time to step up to frigates and sloops. I will follow amendments for sloops. Thanks

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    No additional chits need to be added to the draw, just maybe for placing on the damage. Additional chits in the draw wouldn't change anything in a burden 1 vs. burden 1 battle.
    No, what I meant was do you take (for example) a "4" chit that has been drawn and replace it with a different chit placed on the ship mat to show that the damage effect is reduced?

  29. #29
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    TX
    Log Entries
    312
    Blog Entries
    4
    Name
    Aaron

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    No, what I meant was do you take (for example) a "4" chit that has been drawn and replace it with a different chit placed on the ship mat to show that the damage effect is reduced?
    Bos'n suggests using the drawn chit but 'clocking' the chit on the target slot to indicate its value has changed. Using sloops as an example, Inverted would indicate a value that is reduced by 2, sideways would be reduced by 1. If the chit is 2 or less then it goes to the zero damage area.

  30. #30
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    No, what I meant was do you take (for example) a "4" chit that has been drawn and replace it with a different chit placed on the ship mat to show that the damage effect is reduced?
    Remember that if the chit exceeds the Burden, it fills the box anyway. In the case of a sloop, any hit fills the box.

  31. #31
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    897
    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Dobbs

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    So far our group has only played with ships of the line in getting the hang of the rules, but it is time to step up to frigates and sloops. I will follow amendments for sloops. Thanks
    Alastair, an additional change I make for sloops is that they do not have to plan an extra movement card ahead, unlike bigger ships. This is to reflect their agility compared to their lumbering relatives.

  32. #32
    Midshipman
    United States

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Log Entries
    315
    Name
    Bob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Alastair, an additional change I make for sloops is that they do not have to plan an extra movement card ahead, unlike bigger ships. This is to reflect their agility compared to their lumbering relatives.
    I like this rule. Are there any others?

  33. #33
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I agree that is a really good rule. Could apply to all smaller ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  34. #34
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I got this PM just before Christmas, and have not had time to give it much thought.
    Has anyone helpful answers to any of the questions raised?

    I'm curious on your thoughts about a carronade only vessel. I know you're working on one, I think you mentioned a 14 gun, but historically I'm aware of HMS Rainbow under Trollope, a 44 gun Frigate covered to a 48 gun all carronade vessel...

    I'm thinking of doing a conversion as it were, and putting together a new ship card with wider firing arcs as per Ares carronade rules.
    My question is how to up the firepower?
    As a carronade actually increases the 'weight of metal' by a factor of four I feel that the firepower should refect that in some way...
    I figure if it's firing every turn that's a two fold increase, so doubling the basic firepower seems fair as that would refect the four.
    I wouldn't included/allow double shotting if this was the case though.

    Have you given the same thought to it?



    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

  35. #35
    Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    12,976
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    One interesting conundrum arose in our game yesterday.
    A sip had a load of ball and grape. When fired the grape was just out of range and thus a miss was called. It was then realized tat the ball was still well within its own short range. We could not decide weather to allow the ball to strike or not. In the end we did not allow the hit, but it does raise a rather interesting question about power of shot, powder charge, and momentum. If double shotted Ball can reach should not a ball over grape be able to do as much once the grape has dissipated into the briny?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •