Thread: Constitution 1798 vs HMS Concorde & HMS Unite (during testing)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Default Constitution 1798 vs HMS Concorde & HMS Unite (during testing)

Was doing some software testing and wanted to show an AAR of subject ships.

Disclaimer: Only 'A' deck cards were used and there was a grappling bug mid session but the point here is to show what this software is capable of for solo play or play by forum.

Constitution is spotted by HMS Concorde and Unite and continues ahead full sails to even the odds on the first exhange
    Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  19.9 KB

Closing the distance...
    Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  43.8 KB

Opening shots between lead ships with damages shown in red (HMS Unite has a leak)
    Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  31.8 KB

Closing in and reloading..
    Name:  s4.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  62.8 KB

Next exchange of broadsides causes a fire on USS Constitution.
    Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  61.6 KB

HMS Concorde smells victory and proceeds to move upwind
    Name:  s6.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  63.4 KB

Constitution lines up a rake with the rear batt...
    Name:  s7.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  63.3 KB

Concorde loses a hull and a crew..
    Name:  s8.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  55.9 KB

Concorde heads into the wind and misses with the rake...
    Name:  s9.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  56.8 KB

HMS Concorde fills the sails again as she looks on ahead as Unite takes a beating...
    Name:  s10.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  42.0 KB

continue on next post..
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-20-2017 at 12:21.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Heated battle.. not looking good for Unite with 2 Hull left.. but wait Constitution loses the mizzen mast and springs a leak!
    Name:  s11.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  57.9 KB

Constitution veers into Unite and they become entangled.. guns crew to the top. Pumping out the water will have to wait but the leak repair is under way.
    Name:  s12.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  58.5 KB

Grappling Attacks between ships
    Name:  s13.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  78.2 KB

Unite striker her colors and USS Constitution is under sail again (bug caused the constitution to eliminate more crew than it should have)
    Name:  s14.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  55.5 KB

HMS Concorde veers hard and unleashes her starboard broadsides.. USS Constitution loses her main mast.
    Concorde loses a crew and hull but comes out better in the exchange.
    Name:  s15.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  55.7 KB

USS Constitution moves leeward in hopes of some time for repairs... crews to the pumps and bring out the spare mast.
    Name:  s16.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  53.5 KB

USS Constitution manages to rig up the main but is out of additional spares. The chase is on, it is only a matter of time before HMS Concorde catches up.
    Name:  s17.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  21.1 KB

The captain of the HMS Concorde promised double rations to the gunner who takes down the new mast... double rations it is!
    Name:  s18.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  24.3 KB

USS Constitution swings around to fire the loaded cannons while Concorde does the same.
    Name:  s19.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  39.7 KB

HMS Concorde pivots around to her freshly loaded cannons and fires..
    USS Constitution strikers here colors and eventually sinks to the bottom
    Name:  s20.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  40.9 KB

The butchers bill.. victory to the British.
    Name:  s21.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-20-2017 at 12:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very good Aaron.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There's another bug... You never get a rake with anything but the full broadside. The seventh picture shouldn't have been a rake since rear batteries can't rake.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    There's another bug... You never get a rake with anything but the full broadside. The seventh picture shouldn't have been a rake since rear batteries can't rake.
    Wow I have overlooked that rule entirely. Thanks for the feedback!

Also some ommisions as I didn't state it but some ships did repair normal hull damage.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I had missed that too early on.

It's looking very good, Aaron.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I like the look of this very much, is it only available for pc?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I like the look of this very much, is it only available for pc?
    Yes, only PC for now. This was just a hobby project of mine to replace the ship boards to save table space. Now it seems to have saved the table completely. I thought it would be useful to play the game during times when getting together to play isn't feasible. I want to try a play by forum here soon after a few known bugs are resolved. This could be a tool to bridge the gap during the week.

The software is available for download in the general forum section (current version 0.2 (game supplement only) and 0.29 (includes the virtual table/ships but the HMI is very rough at the moment, like embarrassing bad). The current focus is on getting rules properly implemented and ship graphics/effects acceptable).

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

This all looks very good, but isn't the point to play with little plastic ships?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Good AAR Aaron
    I supose it is each to their own Dobbs, I like the smell of plastic in the morning (especially when it's a brand new order)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    Good AAR Aaron
    I supose it is each to their own Dobbs, I like the smell of plastic in the morning (especially when it's a brand new order)
    Yes the smell of new plastic and a new ship to add to the fleet is the best. Seeing the table crowded with ships and cardboard and the smile or surprised look on your friends face is priceless.

However, an app does lend itself to allow quicker gameplay by virtue of automation of the rules (no measuring distance, removes the fiddliness of moving ships, and setup is fast and cleanup in nonexistent.) The biggest appeal of an app for me is the ability to play against a remote player(s) and the unlimited table space (no limit on scenarios).

If I had to choose I would play with the plastic every time but I have family obligations (kids aged 6 and 4 and a new baby on the way). The plastic won't be seeing the table because they wouldn't survive gales of curious and careless hands.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Personally, my ideal would be a hybrid system, something like a Kickstarter a while back, with a computer determining position where your miniature goes and marking it so unsteady/shaky hands or bad eyes are factored out and it's a pure contest of skill and some luck. The ideal table for this would be something liker the "pool table" in the palace on Hawaii 5-O or at OSP on NCIS: LA.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yes the smell of new plastic and a new ship to add to the fleet is the best. Seeing the table crowded with ships and cardboard and the smile or surprised look on your friends face is priceless.

However, an app does lend itself to allow quicker gameplay by virtue of automation of the rules (no measuring distance, removes the fiddliness of moving ships, and setup is fast and cleanup in nonexistent.) The biggest appeal of an app for me is the ability to play against a remote player(s) and the unlimited table space (no limit on scenarios).

If I had to choose I would play with the plastic every time but I have family obligations (kids aged 6 and 4 and a new baby on the way). The plastic won't be seeing the table because they wouldn't survive gales of curious and careless hands.
    Having had 6 children myself I know where you are coming from Aaron. I have been fortunate in always having some where to store my models and somewhere to game. Now my problem is space where to store everything after all these years of collecting! Even though all the children have let home.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! yes Aaron i remember it well.
    Unlike Alistair though, as bedrooms became available I just started storing my models in them where their toys had been.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Ah! yes Aaron i remember it well.
    Unlike Alistair though, as bedrooms became available I just started storing my models in them where their toys had been.
    Rob.
    Hah yes it is a challenge!

By the way, I've added flags, sloops, SOLs, and a crude island to test things (no attempt at art here, yet). I need to fix the firing arcs on the other ship sizes. Progress!

Name:  island and flags.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  38.9 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great work so far, Aaron! Keep it up!