Name
    Aaron

2/19/18 update:

Using Line ahead formation the fleet approaches:
    Name:  47C1CDBA-A025-4FD3-AE41-F08BBD326A94.jpeg
Views: 963
Size:  16.5 KB
    Just kidding..

The sailing physics are shaping up nicely. I’m looking ahead into the next phase and that is damage to rigging. It was actually rare for ships to sink during battle. They would however strike when they have been immobilized or having the perception of that, such as losing critical support rigging. Also around 4ft of water in the hold seemed to trigger a strike as well from one of my reading resources.

Since the ship sails using my physics engine I can destroy rigging and masts and the ship will respond in accordance with the damaged sail plan, making tacking and wearing more risky, slowing speed, precluding changing the bracing angle, etc.

I got the mast designer started which automatically sprouts shrouds, deadeyes, rails and chains. I will work on the bowsprit and backstays this week.

The approach will be to spray the profile of the ship with shot and where the shot hits damages those components. The poor crew will also be placed amongst the decks and rigging and will likewise be damaged. If you as the captain stresses damaged components, further damage can occur and may even send broken spars and masts to the decks below disabling crew and guns in the process. Also, repairs could be made rather quickly by splicing ropes, etc so that will be interesting for repair priority.

Name:  A369E1AA-9531-4535-86C7-38B366F329C8.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  68.3 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-19-2018 at 13:59.