Thread: SoG Game Tracker App (windows)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Only just caught these two log entries Aaron. How is that new Midshipman of yours shaping up? He looks a sturdy lad to me. Get him signed onto a ships crew so that he will have the years in by the time he is old enough for action.
    I await with baited breath your latest modification to the game that you are developing. When completed it promises to be a real corker.
    Rob.
    The new Midshipman is very sturdy, about to take his first steps. He slept in this morning so I got some coding work done. I'm debugging the gunport code at the moment but it is mostly written out. For the moment some new screens (sans ports).

Name:  firing.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  sunset.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  peaceful.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-03-2019 at 09:58.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update: I had a major win during my lunch break. I got to try out a partial implementation of my dynamic "hole" punch code, used in this case to place gun ports. I say partial because it went ahead and identified where in the geometry mesh targets are to modify the shape. I rendered two ports and it found the triangles and "punched" them out. The code to reconstruct the area to fill back in the needed solids is standing by to be called but I ran out of time. I still have to take the polygon shapes and earcut them back down to triangles and append them to the existing geometry which should be a days work tops.

Here's a quick shot of the moment I got it to work..
    Name:  firstHole.png
Views: 751
Size:  43.2 KB

If home is quiet I will get a little more done after work.
    -Aaron

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes It is all looking very good Aaron. i can only marvel at your programming expertise.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

update: I ran a quick prototype code that comes back in and shapes up the port while retaining the original curvature. In the screen below it added the required shape to fill the triangle while at the same time shape up the port. When the code is finished it will repeat this for all of the removed triangles. It got the shape correct. Moving forwards!

Name:  fillplate.png
Views: 699
Size:  45.6 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

update: I'm attacking the bugs. I'm down to ones that only show up some of the time (the worst ones). It is coming along though slowly. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have whipped this into a fighting ship again.

2 partially working ports on the ships port side.
    Name:  strive.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  34.1 KB

None on the outside yet.. only the interior is working.
    Name:  strive2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  68.3 KB

Here is a behind the scenes example showing the complex geometry to carve out ports on a curved hull.
    Name:  panels.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  44.2 KB

edit: Closing it down for the night. I found 2 bugs involving a missing sort and a missing coordinate lookup. There is still something causing some ports to look as if they lived through the 4 day battle.
    Name:  portmess.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-08-2019 at 20:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rather you than me sir!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Rather you than me sir!
    Rob.
    That's what grog is for..... :)

I have succeeded in cutting the external gun ports. I had to continually man the water pumps towards the end to stay afloat but she made it back for refit. I haven't drawn in the depth of the ports yet so they look paper thin but that chore is trivial. Looking at the shading of the areas around the ports reveal that I need to do some extra work on the normal vectors so it will blend in seamlessly with the side of the ship, right now it looks like patches.

Some results..
    Name:  portsAmore.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  49.8 KB

Lifting the ship out of the ocean for a better view. I am also going to be placing in the gallery doorway, bridle port, sweep ports and possibly scuttles but I have to add one piece of code for smaller ports within one triangle boundary before the latter can happen.
    Name:  portsAmore2.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  57.4 KB

Here you can see shading artifacts at the front of the ship. Keep in mind that there is no texturing in these examples. The final result will look night and day different when textures are laid out such as my water example from earlier posts. *sigh* I need to model some other armaments to replace the 18s on the quarter deck.
    Name:  portsAmore3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  71.2 KB

My next task will be to place the wale along the ship side by having it bump out and coloring it black (or whatever). At the same time that code will be targeting the bottom of the ship for copper plating or coating. Thankfully this will not be intensive such as the last coding segment.

A few more examples and then I am off for the night.
    Two wireframes showing shapes.
    Name:  wireframe1.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  wireframe2.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  74.1 KB

Gallery Door and quarter deck gunport trial.. seems to work.
    Name:  gallery.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  internalPorts.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  44.7 KB

Fire!
    Name:  portfire.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  35.4 KB

Attempt at adding an exaggerated wale. It appears one of the ports exploded at the bow.
    Name:  wale.png
Views: 640
Size:  63.2 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-11-2019 at 08:18.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update 2/14/2019 - I got the shading of the surrounding port walls straightened out so now it looks smooth all the way down the side. Also I started boxing in the gunport sides to the curvature so it now looks 3D.

smooth shading:
    Name:  portshade.png
Views: 799
Size:  45.1 KB

Port Sides:
    Name:  portbox.png
Views: 661
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  portsidesun.png
Views: 621
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  portsidesun2.png
Views: 572
Size:  55.8 KB

I'm currently working on getting the port lids shaped up and then on to the deck beams and carlings, hanging knees, waterway and clamps.
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-14-2019 at 09:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is starting to look impressive Aaron.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

got the start of the beams going...
    Name:  beams.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  53.5 KB

Trying out some interior lighting approaches. I may have to add a few more vertices to the beams to get the normals to project correctly as they start rounding right off the bat.
    Name:  beammeup.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  44.0 KB

The first instance of a knee appears!
    Name:  firstknee.png
Views: 658
Size:  43.3 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-19-2019 at 06:20.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Working on the decks a little more... cutting out the openings. I need the deckbeams to look for openings and cut off short.

Name:  opening.png
Views: 695
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  opening2.png
Views: 701
Size:  182.3 KB

I still need to finish the knees.
    Name:  kneesgalour.png
Views: 656
Size:  74.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My word Aaron, things are looking good.
    Even if not quite the bees Knees yet. (Sorry) It just slipped out.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

My word Aaron, things are looking good.
    Even if not quite the bees Knees yet. (Sorry) It just slipped out.
    Rob.
    That's a good one.

crude lower decks.. its a start
    Name:  gundeck.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  orlop.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  46.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Your work is appreciated Aaron. I had never realized just how like building a real ship from the ground up it was to design a program. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but he can certainly appreciate someone performing them.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thank you Bligh. I enjoy sharing it here. I hope one day this may inspire 'new dogs' to learn about the age of sail and the age of discovery.

Let's hope I get the chance to finish this.. I will keep plying along and hope my project avoids this fate...

Name:  lastttime.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  brokenmast.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  42.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I applaud your ideology Aaron.
    Guess I should have said Old sea dogs.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

The business of today is getting the ship's bow trained up like a sea dog, "bow-wow"
    I hope my existing coding approach can tackle this and I can avoid additional coding to complete the bow. I can see the knees poking through..

Name:  bowing.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  bowwork.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  36.5 KB

Starting to look...
    Name:  closer.png
Views: 596
Size:  37.2 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 02-25-2019 at 10:32.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

update: I fixed a couple of hard to find bugs. I'm in the middle of redoing the hull mesh so that I can use multiple materials along the side, mainly so I can color beneath the water line and the wales. Also the hull mesh redo will fix the bow sections which currently are extending down to the keel and not tapering up.

I also typed in the the frame sections of HMS Achilles in anticipation of creating a 4th rate. I will be revealing this soon (hopefully in a week). I will then use this new model as a test case of further creating an acceptable 3D model inside and out.
    Name:  hms achilies.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  dunkirk.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  66.4 KB

enhanced for data gathering...
    Name:  dunkirk.bmp
Views: 555
Size:  188.8 KB

My current frigate will soon be resigned to a target practice ship.
    Name:  fixes.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  58.1 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 03-03-2019 at 14:31.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Behold!! The first sighting of HMS Achilles.. she's beautiful to me.
    Name:  firstSight.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  29.2 KB

I wanted to share a "blooper". This is the first time I got the new ship mesh code to work but I can clearly see I typo'd some numbers in her profile. I also haven't placed the framing into the actual spot along the keel, these here are just equally spaced until I have time to measure them off the ship plan. But alas, I can see the form taking shape. The bow actually curves away from the keel bottom and I can see the area designated for a wale (Shading is more flat in that area).

I will have to go and review my numbers to fix the jumbled mess in the middle and then properly space out the frames then it will look more like the plans. A lot behind the scenes had to "go off right" just to get this shape on the screen so this is a major victory for the "close to final" form of my hull building code.

This coming week is spring break so I will also take a break from coding starting monday thru the week. I still have a few days to iron out the wrinkles above.

a day shot with 2 trial wales bumped out.
    Name:  brite.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 03-08-2019 at 08:32.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Reminds me of my Wings of Glory Balloon just after I touched the plastic with the hot air paint stripper.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Reminds me of my Wings of Glory Balloon just after I touched the plastic with the hot air paint stripper.
    Rob.
    That's funny.. but not really knowing that the balloons are hard to get. I fixed the "balloon" below :)

Name:  progress.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  38.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So you did Aaron and a jolly good job you did too.

All I could do with mine was turn it into this.

Name:  IMG_7095.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  173.8 KB

See the similarity?

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I do see it! I have a small collection for WoG
    Name:  994C45D0-DB8D-4BCF-B807-FFD89B795F6B.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  158.0 KB

I also got my SoG table mat in:
    Name:  D81DC1C1-D292-43A7-A466-7B5129286FB9.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  153.1 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

The gunport code held up to the demands of a 4th rate. These are roughly placed, not exact according to plans. Testing to see if it blows up or works. I still need to tweak the shape of the ship along the top and one spot on the bottom.

Name:  gpeasy.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  34.9 KB

Here's a wireframe model showing what had to cut out to place the ports
    Name:  gpwires.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  76.9 KB

Done coding for the night.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update Status: I’m still here but progress has stopped for the past month due to life events. I’m still working on other aspects of the game. For instance, I have modeled the sun’s location based upon time, day of the year, latitude and longitude. You can use the suns angle and the solar declination to estimate latitude. It’s neat watching the sun rise and set over the ship on the open seas. I will try and get a video of this soon.

I’m also adding in dead reckoning navigation which uses half hour readings of knots and uncorrected compass readings. These are then used with estimated leeway, currents and compass variance to plot the north/east leagues which can be used to get lat and long. This will simulate the way real navigation was performed with the same level of guesswork.

As far as 3D modeling goes, I’m in research mode on how I want to do the topology of the land masses. I hope to resume ship building soon but the free time to do it properly is lacking at the moment. I did get to work on both sides of the new ship mesh. I will get other small tasks completed in the interim though.

Name:  port2.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  port3.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  18.2 KB

The frigate patrols..
    Name:  inport.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  55.7 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-10-2019 at 19:20.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I recorded a short video showing the changing lighting during the day cycle.
    https://youtu.be/XxXa6TR8eQ4

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

You work is amazing, Aaron!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thank you Naharaht! I am adding in some major stars, these traverse the sky with time.

Name:  northstar.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  28.5 KB

Here is a location closer to the equator..
    Name:  lowerlat.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  63.3 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-15-2019 at 20:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bligh may be good at this sort of thing, butI am going to need my Norton's Star atlas and Nautical Almanac to navigate this way Aaron.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

You can just use your trusty astrolabe to get the latitude from the angle from Polaris down to the horizon. Can you find the north star below? Latitude for this is 28 47' 42".

Name:  nsky.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  14.7 KB

Beautiful cruise during sunrise
    Name:  searover2.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  11.0 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-18-2019 at 09:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Super night sky. Big and little Dipper stand out like sore thumbs Aaron.

Sometime the Great Bear Ursa Major was known as King Charles's Wain or wagon, and the Plough. Also disrespectfully as the Saucepan. Follow the two pointers Dubhe and Merak to Polaris the Pole star in the tail of Ursa Minor.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Update for 4/28/19 - I worked on the moon, stars and planets position for the sky. I took a deep dive over the week on learning how to calculate object positions to within an accuracy of 1-2 arc minutes. The code is now working for the sun, moon and stars. I still have to code up the planets but it reuses most of the code for the moon. This was a fun side task to get the creative juices flowing again. The game can now reproduce the sky as it appeared on say... November 1st, 1787 at the player's latitude, longitude and the UTC time.

Since I know the sun and moon position I can use the shading of a sphere to properly phase the moon. It is turning out pretty cool. The day time moon needs work as it appears too dark in the sky, however it's a good start.

The available light at dusk, dawn and night will be important in spotting ships in the offing and horizon. If it's a new moon then there is a good chance of slipping away ;).

Name:  nightmoon.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  nightmoon2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  nightmoon3.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  nightmoon4.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  44.8 KB

Light angle is wrong here but you get the idea.
    Name:  nightmoon5.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  62.8 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-28-2019 at 15:01.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even more impressive Aaron.
    You will be including transits of Venus next.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I will put Venus up today around lunchtime and see where she sits in the sky.

I ran a test this morning to compare the moon for today. Here's this morning 4/29/19 looking east towards the rising moon at my loc (29N, 96W) and then from London (51.5N, 0.27W). I made an effort this morning when driving in to work to see if my predicted moon looks the same. I say it does.

Southern Texas, USA
    Name:  nightmoon10.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  24.8 KB

London
    Name:  nightmoon11.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  32.0 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

The planets makes their appearance...
    Name:  nightmoon12.PNG
Views: 533
Size:  120.2 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-29-2019 at 13:28.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What can one say, that has not already been said!
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

What can one say, that has not already been said!
    Rob.
    On May 3rd from your location (Notts?) you will have a cool moon sunrise with two close planets right before the sun rises. Might be worth looking at if it is not cloudy. I'm not making a weather forecast system - that's beyond the scope.. heh.

Name:  may3.PNG
Views: 580
Size:  68.3 KB

;)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That looks like a view I can't afford to miss if I can get myself up at about 3.30 am.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

3:30 is early!!

I worked on the moon "shader". It is looking the part.

a new moon above while on the chains..
    Name:  bettermoon.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  77.8 KB

day moon...
    Name:  bettermoon2.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  49.3 KB

looking abaft...
    Name:  bettermoon3.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  38.7 KB

deep ocean sailing at night
    Name:  bettermoon4.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  43.2 KB

Setting moon with planet and little dipper.. strange sail in the offing under the moon
    Name:  COOL2.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  36.0 KB

Just a cool shot, no moon
    Name:  COOL.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  70.6 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 05-03-2019 at 10:48.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Super.
    Keep them coming Aaron. It really lightens my evening.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Here’s a 10 second clip of dark heavy seas. This runs silky smooth on my laptop. Not sure why YouTube isn’t as smooth.

https://youtu.be/ZzRqCHiFsqM

Name:  highwaves.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  57.8 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 05-04-2019 at 12:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It's just swell for me Aaron.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Ha! Swell!

I'm trying out some land meshes to see how it looks. These are tests..
    Name:  mart1.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  mart2.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  mart3.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  90.9 KB

These use a height map for Martinique.
    Name:  martinque.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  35.6 KB

edit: fine tuning a bit..
    Name:  mart6.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  65.8 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 05-05-2019 at 09:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well now those do give me grounds to congratulate you on your work yet again Aaron.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Sailing around Martinique, rounding a cape leading to hms diamond.

Name:  mart8.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  mart9.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  mar10.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  74.6 KB

HMS Diamond just comes in to view.
    Name:  mar11.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  65.7 KB

From the hillside on the island looking down on a frigate nearing hms diamond.
    Name:  mar12.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  59.3 KB

So I'm surprised at the performance of the computer rendering the entire island without breaking a sweat. The next phase will be to roll the displacement map out of the material and into the actual vertices of the mesh. I can then calculate the normals and get smooth shading instead of the flat shading that is present, this will improve the look a lot. Then I will try my hand at a shader that will color in sand, forest, and steep mountainsides by using slope and height. That way the land will have a variation of color without a lot of art work. After that I am going to place a fort down and see how it looks.

Doing some land lubber work for a change.
    :)
    Last edited by Aaron; 05-06-2019 at 19:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

More great stuff Aaron.
    HMS Diamond Rock was one of the first Historical actions which I wrote about, having so much in common with placing the guns above Ticonderoga. also the fact that it figures in one form or another in several Naval novels.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I'm overhauling the sail model and adding studding sails. Early shot.

Name:  sailsoverhaul.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  sailsoverhaul2.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  sails.jpg
Views: 2583
Size:  28.9 KB
    Last edited by Aaron; 05-10-2019 at 14:28.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Some sail destruction test
    https://youtu.be/RvhIrVL0ikg

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice shooting Aaron.
    I wish I could do that at the range.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

bonus points if you can identify this island..

Name:  lucia.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  lucia2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  lucia3.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  lucia4.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  49.9 KB