Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project Trafalgar

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Hi Chris,
    I'm interested to know which ship you (or anyone else for that matter) use for the
    Spanish ship Rayo and if/how you've modified it from the standard base ship.
    Also if you have modified any stats, the firing arcs and/or sailing angles from the host.

Being pretty much a single type ship I don't see an actual ship for it for some time, if ever.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Alan
    For Rayo I used SGN111b San Carlos

Using three decks as ref

San Carlos
    Length of Gundeck205' 5"Burgos Feet57.1362 (187′ 5″ Imperial)
    Length of Keel183' 9"Burgos Feet50.9863 (167′ 3″ Imperial)
    Breadth54' 7"Burgos Feet15.085 (49′ 5″ Imperial)
    Depth in Hold27' 6"Burgos Feet7.5421 (24′ 8″ Imperial)
    Burthen2,308Tons BM
    Armament
    1787Broadside Weight = 1188 Spanish libre (1281.852 lbs 545.292 kg)B002Gun Deck30 Spanish 36-Pounder
    Gun Deck32 Spanish 24-Pounder
    Gun Deck32 Spanish 12-Pounder
    Gun Deck18 Spanish 8-Pounder

Crew Complement 1787 878

Rayo using Goodwins Ships of Trafalgar
    Length of Gundeck 189’
    Length of Keel 165’
    Breadth 57’ 14.89
    Depth in Hold28' 3".
    Burthen 1889 tons

Armament
    1787Broadside Weight = 1010 Lbs

Gun Deck30 Spanish 36-Pounder
    Gun Deck30 Spanish 18-Pounder
    Gun Deck6 Spanish 18-Pounder carronades
    Gun Deck32 Spanish 8-Pounder

Crew Complement. 1805. 830men

So in size the ships are within a couple of mm in this scale the main difference being crew, armament and weight of shot.
    To account for this I subtracted 1 from each value in the firing values
    For the crew I changed the initial number of boxs by one removing the first 4 box for actions and muskets.

This gave the stats, for ne anyway, a feel for larger than the Montanes ships and Smaller than the Meregildos.
    The sailing burden Etc I kept as San Carlos.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I followed Chris when I did mine as well.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    The real issue is that I believe the actual Bahama model is shorter than it should be,
    Not "believe," amigo, PROVEN FACT. All of Wave 3 are significantly undersize because of a measuring error introduced by Windows screen scaling (Windows automatically presents everything at something like 90% "actual" size), but Bahama in particular is scaled based on her dimensions as a 64-gunner as laid down rather than a 74 as taken.

I have a suspicion that even though I told Ares *exactly* what was wrong, that this underscaling is "the new normal"... :( This is why YOU CANNOT JUST PUT A RULER ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN TO TAKE MEASUREMENTS!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh DB! You have just destroyed my belief in Wysiwyg, Santa Clause and the Easter Beagle all in one.

Seriously though, I also get the same problem when designing ship cards. Despite sizing them exactly according to Photoshop measurements they invariably print out with a sizing error, which has to be corrected.
    Thank you for taking the time to fully explain why the issue occurred though. I wonder at which stage of production this gaffe was made?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, try scaling up by 105 to 110% and see what that does for you. Alternately, put together a 1" scale bar on your screen (viewed at "actual size", what MS Paint calls a 1" measurement straight line, then take a pair of calipers and measure that line's actual length. A quick bit of division to find the reciprocal (1 / [measurement]), scale up to that percentage (ie, 1.05 = 105%) and Bob's Yer Uncle... for that specific computer at least.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks DB.
    I will give it a go.
    Maybe there is an Easter Beagle after all.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

My photoshop sizing is spot on. I would recommend that you check your print settings. There are a few options you should make sure you don't use like "Fit to page"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that help too Jonas.
    I will check for sure.
    this has all happened since I had my new printer.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Fit to page puts your "page" within the magins of the printed page, ie sized down. There's also the old A4 or US Letter page size question that could affect the outcome.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Jonas.
    I knew about the A4 size problem because the Printer prog always defaults to the 4.5 inch scale when you set the quality setting so it needs adjusting last of all or it comes out too big again.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

at last pics of the missing ships from the Brit orbat

HMS Swiftsure

HMS Colossus

HMS Minotaur

HMS conqueror

HMS Leviathan

So thats a pic of every Ship of the Line that we used for the Trafalagar game and is a model of every Ship of the Line that took part in the actual battle, I didn not use any Frigates

any questions I am available to answer, these have been added to post 2 and the orbat now complete

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well done sir. This was indeed a marathon effort to collect the ships let alone to rig them all.
    A very impressive array indeed.
    Bligh.