Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OMG The ships have arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I need to order some eastern merchants...

(The payroll ship hasn’t arrived)

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Thanks Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post

Yes it is this is my order of the new ships, what to open first?
    Is it not great to finally get what you are waiting for...............kind of like your favorite beer on a hot summer day Have fun unpacking and such. I have two of each and
    setting them up to represent each ship. Maybe will be able to finally make up the lists for Trafalgar.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you seen Captain Duff's list of which models are compatible for Trafalgar compared with the models Ares have released Shane?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Have you seen Captain Duff's list of which models are compatible for Trafalgar compared with the models Ares have released Shane?
    Rob.
    Which reminds me, I should probably update my own lists on the Orders of Battle and modeling them...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Killick, as a fellow Aussie and Queenslander, where have you found the best place to purchase from for Ares SoG?
    At present I'm finishing shipping to be the biggest cost impediment to building a larger fleet.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Rob.
    No I have not Rob...................can you guide a land lubber to those pages :)

Shane

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Here you go Shane

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ject-Trafalgar

The list is after a bit of research plus assistance and info from DB here on the forumI am still looking at what can be used for the missing ships

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris. Saved me the trouble of having to find it again.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Has anyone posted pictures of the new minis? I'm looking forward to seeing non-stock photos. In the stock photos it's difficult to tell what the sterns look like.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ill see if I can get a couple of pics of the Tonnant and Africa posted this weekend

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Here you go Shane

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ject-Trafalgar

The list is after a bit of research plus assistance and info from DB here on the forumI am still looking at what can be used for the missing ships
    Thank you very much sir....................a pint and biscuits for you!!!!

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Well, after reading the accounts on SOG about the battle posted on this site I am definitely interested in trying it myself. I like the idea of keeping the French and Spanish fleet
    in tight formation and only able to move in a straight line. It makes perfect sense to limit the fleet, until the British committed to set direction of travel, the combined fleet would have to just take a wait and shoot approach.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG73 View Post
    Killick, as a fellow Aussie and Queenslander, where have you found the best place to purchase from for Ares SoG?
    At present I'm finishing shipping to be the biggest cost impediment to building a larger fleet.
    Andrew I get my ships from two places, firstly mainly from Keith for all the new releases and secondly when I want the model now from "Mighty Ape" when I will only have to wait a week at the most!

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    Andrew I get my ships from two places, firstly mainly from Keith for all the new releases and secondly when I want the model now from "Mighty Ape" when I will only have to wait a week at the most!
    Thanks Killick.
    I assume by Keith you mean the Anchorage Store? Postage is my major concern.
    I've bought from Mighty Ape previously, so that's good to know, and I've also made a purchase from Miniature Market.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Andrew postage is always a problem for those of us living Australia as apart from "Mighty Ape" there are no decent SoG stores in Australia that I know of and even then Australia Post is not cheep and you have to wait at least 3 months from when the Anchorage Store has got the new releases, so for me it is worth paying the postage. Its the same with Wings of Glory.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Alastair/Andrew,

Rivalsky was supposed to be expanding into Sails from Wings here in Aus but I haven't seen any sign of it yet.
    Still hoping he will get stock soon.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

@Killick - Thanks for the info. I just used Miniature Market and received my order today. Very impressed with the price and speed of standard postage. I am going to make another order with their "slow and cheap" shipping option.

@twsl - oh I hope Evan will expand into Sails! He has been so easy to deal with on Wings.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

A quiet updated on this.
    I ordered a few ships from Miniature Market on the 22nd December 2017 using their 'slow shipping' option (cheapest postage to Australia). Received today 8th January 2018 which I consider exceptional.
    I'm not sure if this is usual, or just a boosted speed due to Christmas period possibly making extra global shipments, but that's remarkable in my opinion.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewG73 View Post
    A quiet updated on this.
    I ordered a few ships from Miniature Market on the 22nd December 2017 using their 'slow shipping' option (cheapest postage to Australia). Received today 8th January 2018 which I consider exceptional.
    I'm not sure if this is usual, or just a boosted speed due to Christmas period possibly making extra global shipments, but that's remarkable in my opinion.
    Miniature Market is one of my main sources for ships. They have solid everyday prices, great sale prices and decent shipping. I use their price structure to evaluate whether I am getting a deal elsewhere.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Where do Miniature Market ship from Paul? I would like to get some comparisons for members from various sources.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Where do Miniature Market ship from Paul? I would like to get some comparisons for members from various sources.
    Rob.
    Rob, they ship from St. Louis, Missouri.
    B.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

OK you site veterans, try to imagine the time when your very first ships arrived at your home...are you there ? Then please keep that in mind for what follows: OMG THE SHIPS ARE HERE !!!
    My introductory game box and additional ships ordered arrived today ... I am so excited I nearly sprung a leak !
    My modest flotilla now includes:
    Britain: HMS Defence/HMS Vanguard, HMS Terpsichore/HMS Meleager, HMS Victory
    France: Genereux/Aquilon, Courageuse/Unite, Commerce de Bordeaux/Duguay-Trouin, Montagne/Commerce de Marseille
    Spain: Mohanesa/Ninfa, Santa Ana/Mejicano
    U.S. : Constitution, BonHomme Richard, Thorn/Atlanta
    Regrettably the Santa Ana arrived with its foremast broken off at the deck level -- so into the yard it goes for repairs even before its maiden voyage.
    I cannot wait to get stared...I feel a mission coming over me tonight....

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Rob, Bill is spot on with his answer to your question and his selection for his fledgling fleet.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Rob, from the perspective of an Australian gamer, where we tend to overpay for both content and shipping from overseas, Miniature Market are excellent in my opinion and I highly recommend.
    The fact that the US shipping was only around USD$25 for 5 ships at standard rates, and USD$13 for their "slow discounted rate" means that it didn't increase costs overly much. With the slow version only taking approx three weeks to reach Australia from the USA (they do suggest it can take 6-8 weeks btw) I am going to be using them as my first port of call.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the info chaps.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jerome

I was able visit Miniature Market earlier this year when in town for a shipmates Navy retirement. I purchased the last of my requirements to fill my fleets. Well, before the new release. I did pick up 4 of the new releases for Christmas.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Jerome,
    I noticed your insignia and CMDCM rating on your post -- my Dad was a Chief Petty Officer in World War II -- at the time CPO was the highest enlisted rank. He was offered Warrant Officer during the occupation of Japan if he signed over for another tour, but he chose to come home, marry my Mom and have me!!! (who could blame him for that ???).

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jerome

Bill,
    I spent 30 years in the navy, mostly on submarines and one amphibious ship. Do know what your dad's rating was? I can see why most servicemen wanted to return home after the war.
    Did your dad share any of his experiences with you?

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Jerome,
    My Dad enlisted right after Pearl Harbor as a common seaman -- he was 27 at the time (old for a recruit) -- he granted the Navy permission to operate on his nose in order to take him (he had been a ham and egg prize fighter during the depression). He was also a butcher so he was rated as a commissary steward and assigned to the attack oiler U.S.S. Merrimack (AO-37) where he quickly rose to CPO rank (although everyone on his ship had gunnery duties). His ship did the North Atlantic run to the U.K. early in the war, then a run up to Archangel Russia with lend-lease equipment. then all of the North Africa landings followed by the Sicily invasion. They then went through the Panama Canal to the Pacific for the Philippine liberation campaign, Okinawa landing and surrender of Japan in Tokyo harbor. He went ashore in Hiroshima as part of a landing party several weeks after the atomic bomb drop -- his stories about that were amazing. If you go to the Wings of Glory page, I have a couple of photo albums about my Dad's ship and Halsey's Typhoon under my handle there -- NewFlyBoy.
    best,
    Bill

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Pardon my excitement but my second order of ships pulled into harbor over the weekend. My new acquisitions are listed in boldface below -- my modest fleet grows!

Britain: HMS Bellona/HMS Goliath, HMS Leopard/HMS Isis, HMS Leander/HMS Adamant, HMS Malta/HMS Tonnant, HMS Defence/HMS Vanguard,
    HMS Terpsichore/HMS Meleager, HMS Victory
    France: Bucentaure/Robuste, Alligator/Le Fortune, Artesien/Roland, Genereux/Aquilon, Courageuse/Unite, Commerce de Bordeaux/Duguay-Trouin, Montagne/Commerce de Marseille
    Spain: Real Carlos/Conde de Regla, San Juan Nepomuceno/San Francisco de Asis, Principe de Asturias/San Hermenegildo, Mohanesa/Ninfa,
    Santa Ana/Mejicano (x2)
    U.S. : Constitution, BonHomme Richard, Thorn/Atlanta
    I cannot wait to take them out to fight !

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like the basis for three good squadrons there Bill.
    You can have some cracking games with that little lot.
    A word of advice is to start small actions. Get to know your individual ships qualities before you take on too much. Same goes for the rules. I started with the basic, and just cherry picked a few I liked the look of from the more advanced sets. Then added more as I progressed. Remember that you can always ask other shipmates for clarification.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Looks like the basis for three good squadrons there Bill.
    You can have some cracking games with that little lot.
    A word of advice is to start small actions. Get to know your individual ships qualities before you take on too much. Same goes for the rules. I started with the basic, and just cherry picked a few I liked the look of from the more advanced sets. Then added more as I progressed. Remember that you can always ask other shipmates for clarification.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the tips, Rob -- I have started with basic rules and this weekend will try to move on to more advanced attempts. I worry I will foul up rules interpretations -- I hope the veterans on this site will be tolerant of my errors.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fear not Bill.
    We can still all foul our anchors even now. Just ask the messmates who were at the Nile last year. Who turned to Port when he should have gone starboard, as simple as a mistake that was. I swore to the other Captains that it was not a senior moment and blamed the Port we had imbibed, but they did not believe me.
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Fear not Bill.
    We can still all foul our anchors even now. Just ask the messmates who were at the Nile last year. Who turned to Port when he should have gone starboard, as simple as a mistake that was. I swore to the other Captains that it was not a senior moment and blamed the Port we had imbibed, but they did not believe me.
    Bligh.
    It's these new terms that mess it all up. Use good old larboard so we know what we are talking about. Is it a direction or a drink?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got in one Jonas.
    It was definitely the Port eh.
    Oh well as they say: "Any Port in a storm."
    Bligh.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post
    Alastair/Andrew,

Rivalsky was supposed to be expanding into Sails from Wings here in Aus but I haven't seen any sign of it yet.
    Still hoping he will get stock soon.
    Looks like Rivalsky now stocks Sails of Glory! :)

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

I noticed that earlier in the week as well.
    Already placed a top up order. I was expecting it this week but no luck yet here's hoping Monday.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Usually during my games, if there are shoals or rocks on the map, I usually end up there. Once I considered it good fortune to be grounded, at least I could concentrate on my opponent. Somehow wind and poor steersmanship = a well grounded ship. In short these obstacles always are a magnet for my ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At least you can see from our answers Shane that even the most experienced Captains can fall foul of the sandbars and the rocks.
    Some even manage to run into an entire Continent!
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

At least you can see from our answers Shane that even the most experienced Captains can fall foul of the sandbars and the rocks.
    Some even manage to run into an entire Continent!
    Rob.
    Perhaps I should tell the story about getting my bell rung by being whacked in the head with a SUBMARINE again?

Then again, none of you have had to suffer the ignominy of being defeated by a lizard with an attitude problem either...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Out with it then Captain.
    Don't just haze us.
    Bligh.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

USS Bowfin, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. August 2004. (I remember that I was rather less than happy because The Ex and I were an item, and did NOT like the rels dragging me off to the middle of the Pacific when I'd rather have been spending time with her.) Anybody who's been aboard a modern warship is familiar with "knee-knockers," those hatchways between compartments where you have to fold yourself in half going through 'em.

Anyway... I have a back spasm at just the wrong moment, and come up for air too soon--taking the impact square on the top of my head. Ever wondered what it feels like to be a pinball? I KNOW... and when we went back topside, our guide suggested that it might be a good idea to take a seat at one of the old AA gunner stations--where despite the power being cut it felt like the mount was doing full 360's in both traverse and elevation, but at least I didn't end up going for a swim.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Know how that must feel DB.
    At least your story is Navy related.
    Not so mine.

Was myself doing some electrical work inside steel trunking on 440v three phase motor when some clown switched on the power.
    the ****ard burnt the end off my favourite driver. I never felt the shock due to my head coming in sudden contact with the top of the trunking.
    Anyway they fished me out and gave me a nice new driver, so no real harm done.

Now about this lizard with attitude?
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Now about this lizard with attitude?
    Rob.
    Made the mistake of putting Sails on the table, setting up a duel with identical Portlands under Basic Rules and telling Junior "winner gets my pizza." Granted, I had to help out with all the "needs hands" stuff, but... little guy pulled off a squeaker of a win.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB