Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG The ships have arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Default OMG The ships have arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay mates..............................everyone hold your breath...........................yes... a miracle has occured........................the Ships have arrived in Canada. So if they landed here they should be coming to you very shortly............My order has arrived here so just waiting for Canada Post to get them here. There is a miracle....

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stuh42asl View Post
    Okay mates..............................everyone hold your breath...........................yes... a miracle has occured........................the Ships have arrived in Canada. So if they landed here they should be coming to you very shortly............My order has arrived here so just waiting for Canada Post to get them here. There is a miracle....
    That's great news. Where did you purchase your ships?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good grief! That means we could have them over here for Christmas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

From Meeplemart in Toronto, Ontario, about an hour from where I live.......I don't understand though why Europe and my southern cousins have not received it before I do..
    That totally confounds me with the shipping process................

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Rob...................pst... that is okay your missus will have something to shove under the tree for you..........That and a case of your favorite wobblypops

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Are all the ships out? or are ARES still releasing them in 2 stages.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very good question Alistair.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

They are being released in two stages. :(

The three India Merchantmen , The Bucentaure, Neptune, Malta are delayed, I think until End October is my guess,but could be earlier or later :(

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No rush for me then, as I will get mine from Keith when the rest can be shipped.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Likewise.

Good news.

So we need a little more patience.

The Bucentaure is a ship I ordered and I don't think the order will be split up.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The Frigates and British 64 are on sale in the Uk now, no sign of the 80s or East Indiermen, although I noticed that Ares have a download for the EastIndiamen to be used as merchant vessels.
    Have almost finished rigging HMS Agamemnom, will post a pic once completed
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 11-07-2017 at 12:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the heads up about the download Chris.
    I will just have to await my delivery from the States with patience.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

The Ares website is showing the release date in the US for the Bucentaur and French East Indiamen as November 17th. I hope this holds true.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thanks for the info! I cannot wait to get these.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Something for the weekend sir.

Name:  IMG_5418.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5419.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  203.7 KB

Thanks Keith.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Luck man, am now perched on the windowsill looking for a parcel farce van ��

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

So... Do the Tonnant an merchant have the correct spanker? (the early / late versions corrected)

Do all the ships have jib and fore staysail have the wind blowing from the other direction vs the spanker?

Are the jib overlapping much as if the designer was trying extra hard to make his mistakes harder to correct?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ares insists the wrong-way jibs are "production necessity." The options are make do, surgery or Dollar Democracy, I'm afraid, 'cuz they're dug in pretty hard on that one. :(

Bucentaure should have been ~59mm on LD, if correctly scaled, BTW.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    So... Do the Tonnant an merchant have the correct spanker? (the early / late versions corrected)

Do all the ships have jib and fore staysail have the wind blowing from the other direction vs the spanker?

Are the jib overlapping much as if the designer was trying extra hard to make his mistakes harder to correct?
    The Neptune, Bucentaure, and Tonnant still have the old type spanker. merchant has the usual one.
    The jib and staysail are opposed to the Spanker. That said they have so little bend in them that it may not be noticed. They are almost up and down.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

So they never corrected the messed up spankers, then. I thought fixing that was the reason for their delay.

Then I will wait until I've seen them in person before ordering. I really don't like the mid 18th century ships having a modern spanker and the "modern" Tonnant class having a spanker that fell out of style some decades before it was ever constructed.

I thought Ares would get their act together, but they are really loosing it more and more.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could be time for a mast transplant?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

But the mizzen masts should be different in size between the ships. Aren't they?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are Jonas, but I have a couple of spare mizzens from ships I have cannibalized for wrecks which I can use.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Nice haul Rob................yup have a good weekend.............and a few wobbly pops :)

I have to finish setting up mine as well.

Shane

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here yo go Jonas.

Tonnant re-masted, or should that be remastered as Ares should have done in the first place.
    Take no prisoners says I.

Name:  IMG_5420.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  137.9 KB
    Fell the mizzen.

Name:  IMG_5421.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  140.5 KB
    Drill the stump.

Name:  IMG_5422.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  135.0 KB
    Drill the replacement mast.

Name:  IMG_5423.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  148.1 KB
    Add reinforcing steel rod.

Name:  IMG_5424.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  129.3 KB
    Glue and fit new Mizzen and Spanker.

Which way is the wind blowing?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now what am I going to do with three sets of Lateen type sails shipmates?

Bligh.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Received my order from Keith today, thanks Keith, what a pity the models are just not up to scratch.

I like Sails as a game and have a sizable fleet now but the last two waves have been a great disappointment, I feel that after paying a not insubstantial sum per ship the least we can expect is consistency in the models. How can we be enthusiastic about demonstrating the game when its clear now that the ships are to be counted as game pieces, something I know a lot agree with, and it dont matter about accuracy or consistancy, just I dont think I will be paying out £20 ( €22 / $26 ) plus for a single wrong game piece in the future.
    In fact I am now considering changing to 1/1200 ships, at least there the models are accurate and consistant.

End of rant
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 11-24-2017 at 14:54.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

It is a shame that Ares does little to address these problems prior to production runs. I can understand a hiccup and some imperfections, we're all human. The facts as Chris lays them out are hard to ignore and his sentiment is shared by many. Losing players over poor model quality spells doom for any game based on models.

I like the game and ease of prepared models but like Chris points out if the models are of poor quality what is the price point really worth?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Anyone else noticed and forgive me if already known, that HMS Tonnant is a 66 gun ship of the line ?

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alan

Rob: How close in size are the masts between the Tonnant and Merchant ships, Close enough for just a rear mast swap?
    Or maybe one of the last undersize wave is a closer match I can butcher. The online pics look close but may be deceiving.

Chris: I am 100% in agreement with everything you say.
    When you have 70+ ships these types of issues with new additions really drops your enthusiasm to buy more.
    I too am on the verge of just saying stuff it and replacing my entire collection with 1/1200 as well.
    Either that or just going generic and using Temeraires for Large 74/80's and Bellona's for all 74's regardless of nationality.
    Most of the ships below these should be ok. Maybe the French 120 for the Spanish 112. My old 1/2400 from Hallmark are the same ships regardless of nationality.
    I figure most people during a game will be looking at the flag and not how the stern gallery differs or spending time counting gun ports.
    Now all I have to hope for is they don't undersize the Trinidad.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Anyone else noticed and forgive me if already known, that HMS Tonnant is a 66 gun ship of the line ?
    The cock ups continue Chris. Well spotted.
    Looks as if the ship mat is for the eighty with a broadside of 7. just the ship card wrong.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by twsl View Post
    Rob: How close in size are the masts between the Tonnant and Merchant ships, Close enough for just a rear mast swap?
    Or maybe one of the last undersize wave is a closer match I can butcher. The online pics look close but may be deceiving.
    The Merchant ships Mizzen are too small for a straight swap Alan.

Amen to that.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Lets hope not as that would take the (ships) biscuit

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if the most important ships we now need apart from the Santisima are the Spanish 60s and British 90s.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have used Royal Sovereign models for the Brit 90s. We do need a Spanish 60 but main is Santissima for Trafalgar, it just depends which scale is used.

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

Reacting on Capn Duff: Tonnant is a 66 gun ship of the line, Bligh wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The cock ups continue Chris. Well spotted.
    Looks as if the ship mat is for the eighty with a broadside of 7. just the ship card wrong.
    Rob.
    Tonnant is usually rated an 80, but in 1799 Tonnant was rearmed with 66 guns and 18 carronades, which was her Trafalgar armament:

1799 Broadside Weight = 1106 Imperial Pound ( 501.571 kg)
    Lower Gun Deck 32 British 32-Pounder
    Upper Gun Deck 32 British 18-Pounder
    Quarterdeck 14 British 32-Pound Carronade
    Quarterdeck 2 British 18-Pounder
    Forecastle 4 British 32-Pound Carronade

Source (ultimately) via threedecks.org is Winfield: British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817.

British custom was to keep the gun rating consistent, even if some long guns were replaced by carronades, and additional carronades did not count, but it was not a strict rule. Technically Tonnant was a "66 gun" ship, never mind the carronades.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting as I have several sources that sites Tonnant as an 80 at the time of Trafalgar Niek.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Fair enough, maybe not a cockup then, although most accounts I have read cite her as an 80 gun ship. Plus if we are saying halfish of the guns are carronades why is the ship mat showing a broadside of 7 when I thought the carronade rule was for short range ?

Also been looking at other ships the French ship Courageux (1753) was the template for Courageux Class which gives HMS Collosus, Minataur and Leviathon for Trafalgar so we missing that type also
    Plus we need to sort out the Spanish 74/80s

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Did Ares ever give any historical rationale for the lateen instead of spanker on the Tonnants? Is there an historical basis? Seems odd given the universal spanker use on all previous models regardless of era.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

My old 1/2400 from Hallmark are the same ships regardless of nationality.
    I figure most people during a game will be looking at the flag and not how the stern gallery differs or spending time counting gun ports.
    Thats pretty much how AoS gamers have worked for the last 30 years or so :)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Pellew View Post
    Did Ares ever give any historical rationale for the lateen instead of spanker on the Tonnants? Is there an historical basis? Seems odd given the universal spanker use on all previous models regardless of era.
    Since they even claim it to be the Bucentaure-class ship there is none. Those were first launched 1803 which is long after the spanker had been accepted as the way to go. I'd guess someone wanted a lateen on their Agamemnon or Bonhomme Richard and the designer mixed up ships.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Pellew View Post
    My guess is they decided "it looks too much like a Temeraire so we need a way to tell them apart." Never mind that EVERY SINGLE GORRAM painting, drawing, etc. of a Tonnant or Bucentaure CLEARLY shows a Gaff as obvious as someone who's just had my steeltoe driven into his grapefruits like I was going for the Field Goal from the entire opposite End Zone...

No offense intended, guys, but the more I see of people the more glad I become that my kid's a tyrannosaur... (We'll have to see about checking Junior out on Sails over the Christmas break.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-29-2017 at 23:15.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Guess you are correct there DB it was certainly a gaff on someones part.
    Ares designers have now made enough gaffs to put the whole thing right.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    My guess is they decided "it looks too much like a Temeraire so we need a way to tell them apart." Never mind that EVERY SINGLE GORRAM painting, drawing, etc. of a Tonnant or Bucentaure CLEARLY shows a Gaff as obvious as someone who's just had my steeltoe driven into his grapefruits like I was going for the Field Goal from the entire opposite End Zone...

No offense intended, guys, but the more I see of people the more glad I become that my kid's a tyrannosaur... (We'll have to see about checking Junior out on Sails over the Christmas break.)
    Not minding that the larger ship is smaller, perhaps the change of scale could also makes it easier to see the difference on the table?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If there was any doubt as to the Tonnant/Bucentaure is smaller, I am in the process of adding ratlines to my Tonnant.
    As for the rest of my fleet I am using Langtons brass etched 1/1200 sets.

The Tonnant is done using PE2 whereas the Temeraires and Elizabeths all use PE1

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Well my package from Keith arrived in Sydney last Wednesday. So now I will be sitting by the window waiting for the postman every day till the package arrives...............

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Whats this could it be a package from Kieth?
    Last edited by Killick; 12-04-2017 at 21:10.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations Alastair.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Yes it is this is my order of the new ships, what to open first?