Thread: Ship Organisation

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Question Ship Organisation

I'm going to start organising my ships with their cards and tokens. What would you suggest is the best method for keeping it all organised?
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I personally use elastic bands around the ship mat cards. Coloured sticky dots to identify each deck, and you can find a printed template on the Drome for your cards to fit into. with a bit of ingenuity and resizing you can adjust them to make your own card sleeves rather like the ones for decks of cards.

Do you also recall the Plastic chits box falling off the table at Newark. ideal for the job if you keep it closed properly.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I use three different systems, all of which keep ship, base, card and log together.

For everything 64-and-below except Humphreys superfrigates, I pack them two-per in the individual cases inside an Iris KP-XLPHO "Extra Large Photo Keeper"--I have two of these, each bearing sixteen 4x6 cases and accommodating up to 32 ships.

http://irisusainc.com/p-759-kp-xlpho.aspx

For the 74's and 80's, I use the Really Useful Boxes 0.3L Organizer Pack--one ship per box with all its trimmings, sixteen of 'em in a really handy tray. Again, I have two of these. (Technically, the British threedeckers except SGN201 and the Minigildos will fit, but I'm a fan of consistency.)

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u..._3litreOrg.php
    Over here on the West Side of the Pond, I usually find 'em at Staples office-supply stores.

For Constitution and the tripledeckers, I use Really Useful's 0.7L boxes, except Constitution and Victory two per; again, each ship, its cards and log loaded as a complete unit.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.u...b00_7litre.php
    These take a bit more doing to get over here, I usually have to special-order 'em at Office Depot.

If I sound like a fanboy for these little UK-made gems, I am--they live up to their name from the kitchen to the collection to my gunsmithing bench and beyond. I'm still working on Trial-and-Error to find the right sizes for complete WGF and WGS aircraft... the Iris photo boxes would work for two einsitzers or maybe tandems each, but with a lot of slop.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hii Gary, for me I use KR sails cases for the ships, ship bases , ship mats and Man decks.

Each ship I use a coloured dot with a number written on, I then use the same number on the base of a ship model, the ship base the ship mat, ship card and ship mat, this identifies the model and what deck , card and mat goes with each ship.

Coloured dots used are the 8mm ones , easily got from ebay or Smiths or other newsagents or office supplies.

I use Red and Orange for British ships, Lt Blue and Green for French, Yellow and White for the Spanish.

The ship mat templates, ie the one with the hole in which you use and put the ship mat in I use a large really useful plastic box, which holds around 12 - 14 mats.

Each set of ship counters are in their own bag and kept in a compartmented Really Useful box.

Ill see about getting some pics taken of the box's tomorrow

Take a look here for a review of the KR case system, bottom of part 1 has a link to part two.
    Part 1 is the ships, part two the cards

http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...ighlight=cases
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 10-14-2017 at 17:48.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks everyone, sounds like I'll be going with the coloured spots with numbers, seem like the best idea. I shall have a look for a storage box with the dividers in.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is what I would use if I were starting up again Gary. With that variation Chris has refined my simple dot method of identification into a much more sophisticated system.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by McDorf View Post
    I'm going to start organising my ships with their cards and tokens. What would you suggest is the best method for keeping it all organised?
    Keep them in the very nicely designed boxes in which they come.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Keep them in the very nicely designed boxes in which they come.
    A valid suggestion, unless you decide to rig the models, which then becomes a bit more difficult to utilize.
    Also if you go "overboard" and get a number of ships keeping in their original box means a lot to transport, again not insurmountable but......

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I know, it just amuses me with Sails (and Wings) where people spend an inordinate amount of money to store things that already came in a storage system that in most cases works just fine

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

As long as I know what goes where, and it's all goes back together. I'm happy with it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As Dave says, I find the boxes work well, but to reitterate what I mentioned earlier, the dot system of marking decks plus elastic bands around the ship logs helps to make packing up and storage that much more simple, especially when you are using the ships at shows. Rigging problems, however, throw things into a different ball park, and Chris is correct about the boxes in this respect.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

So far I'm using the boxes and the sticker with a number method. :)

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Like most of you I use a box system. I have boxes for the ships which means I can either store or display my ships. I like to have some of my models on display and by that I mean all of my models Saga, Bolt Action vehicles ect ect which means they have to be store in a way that is quick to pack and unpack.