Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Burdens

I have been considering bumping the Amazons to a Burden of 3, and leaving Burden 2 to post ships/corvettes. I have already made the decision that all frigates, regardless of Burden, have 8 damage boxes. Post ships/corvettes would have 7 damage boxes.

I really don't see why Ares decided to make the Amazons Burden 2 with a greater firepower than the Concordes, when they are both 32 gun 12 pounder frigates. I think it's much more interesting to have them evenly matched, with the French design being slightly more maneuverable.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Whilst I have little knowlege on this subject what you say Dodds make sence to me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would certainly help the Amazon to get more use in games.
    Whilst not wanting to sail super frigates all the time no one wants to sail a lame duck, unless like me they have a perverse enjoyment about seeking a victory against all the odds.. At least your suggestion will give her a more even break in an encounter.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I began converting all of my Amazon base cards to Burden 3, and thought, wait a moment, Royal navy ships of a class were typically not as fast as their French counterparts either. To that end, I have now switched the decks. My Amazons are now A's, and my Concordes are now C's.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dobbs, this kind of work is why we invited you to the Stats Committee. However, I think I found why Ares statted the Amazons the way they did...

Ship Length Beam BM tonnage Game Stats
    1777 Concorde
    HMS Concorde as taken
    43.28 11.3 888 82/94 (sister Courageuse 932) 3x8
    1773 Amazon ref design 38.4 10.67 677 62/94 2x8
    1775 Enterprise ref design 36.58 10.11 593 89/94
    US Peacock group
    USS Frolic/HMS Florida as taken
    36.28 9.75 539 11/94
    1805 Banterer QD postship 35.97 9.75 537 2/94
    1812 Cyrus flushdecker 35.06 8.84 454 80/94
    1797 Cruizer 30.48 9.3 382 41/94
    1766 Swan 29.29 7.96 300 4/94 1x7

The Hermiones, the last new British 12pdr 32 design, were around 710-724 bm; the few 18pdr 32's in RN service ranged from 776 (Pallas, original design) to 922 BM (Amphion-class Proserpine). Concorde's heavier hull is more representative of a small 18pdr; in operational terms, a parallel could be drawn that French practice is as much one way from British as American is the other; American being to arm for "the next size up" and French "the next size down."
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-21-2020 at 20:05.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is a really enlightening conversation gents. I am finding out a lot more here than just looking at the bald stats in books which are hard to hold from one page to the next when reading about the various ships, let alone from book to book when reading about different national ships.
    Thank you gents.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 11-21-2020 at 04:18.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For comparison, the lightest and oldest RN 12pdr 32's, the 1750s Southamptons, were about 650 BM. Also, Courageuse's higher tonnage was on about one meter more length, so at a ~10m beam that implies about 50 tons per meter.

My one criticism of Winfield, he doesn't do direct side-by-side comparisons.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is what I am finding irksome DB. Winfield is excellent in many ways but that is not one of them.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm gonna build out that table a little more, though it partially mirrors one in the Committee Wardroom.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The one in the wardroom is aso a very handy resource DB.
    Rob.