Thread: Split release for Wave 4

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that info Franco. it is a relief. Close enough is good enough after all the scares.
    Paintwork is no problem, i can soon put that right.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    What's this about the HMS Mahonesa never serving as an active warship?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It seems that you are correct, Dobbs. Mahonesa served as a Spanish frigate but she was so badly shot up by H.M.S. Terpsichore when she was captured, that it was considered not worth the cost of a thorough repair and so she had "little more than a nominal existance among the 36-gun frigates of the british navy".

My source is 'The Naval History of Great Britain volume 1' by William James, page 514. http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...tain-Vol-1.pdf

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was the reason that it was the only ship I did not bother to order Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The other side HMS Hamadryad only lasted around 8 months before she too was wrecked, hopefully we can add to her honours game wise

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

The Mahonesa class are interesting ships. Burden is 4 with an initial battery of 2-3-3. One quirk I noted was that the primary ships (i.e., Mahonesa and Diana) have an extra damage box compared with the reverse side of the damage track for the Ninfa and the Proserpina. All 4 use the K maneuver deck.

I ran the Proserpina against a friend with the Terpsichore last night for my first outing with these frigates. It was pretty one-side with the Amazon class burden of 2, so in the second game I tried to stay true to the Spanish/French philosophy of aiming high which helped balance the battle a little bit more. Proserpina was able to board and capture her foe, but I got very lucky drawing numerous "0" chits in the first several boarding rounds which helped turn the tide. I am pretty favorably impressed with the Mahonesa class so far.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

I received today my Agamemnon. It's a pretty nice model and the scale is almost perfect (just a little bit oversized). We have the same odd wind problem and the other thing I noticed so far, that doesn't look right to me, are the gun ports, they look smaller than they should be (specially when close to wave 1/2 ships like e.g. a Hebe class frigate). I hope I can manage to post pictures soon.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This all sounds very interesting shipmates, and a lot more hopeful than it sounded at first.
    I can now await my delivery with anticipation.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog7 View Post
    The Mahonesa class are interesting ships. Burden is 4 with an initial battery of 2-3-3. One quirk I noted was that the primary ships (i.e., Mahonesa and Diana) have an extra damage box compared with the reverse side of the damage track for the Ninfa and the Proserpina. All 4 use the K maneuver deck.

I ran the Proserpina against a friend with the Terpsichore last night for my first outing with these frigates. It was pretty one-side with the Amazon class burden of 2, so in the second game I tried to stay true to the Spanish/French philosophy of aiming high which helped balance the battle a little bit more. Proserpina was able to board and capture her foe, but I got very lucky drawing numerous "0" chits in the first several boarding rounds which helped turn the tide. I am pretty favorably impressed with the Mahonesa class so far.
    Sounds a little overpowered for only a TWO-gun advantage...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Comandante View Post
    I received today my Agamemnon. It's a pretty nice model and the scale is almost perfect (just a little bit oversized). We have the same odd wind problem and the other thing I noticed so far, that doesn't look right to me, are the gun ports, they look smaller than they should be (specially when close to wave 1/2 ships like e.g. a Hebe class frigate). I hope I can manage to post pictures soon.
    How far off? Lower Deck, which should be close to waterline (including bow rounding but not the cutwater), should be about 49mm. Mahonesa should be around 44, Tonnants around 59, Groignard EIM's around 46 +/-.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Measured my. Hms Agamemnom lower deck around 47-48 mm

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Good news, Mahonesa is about 44mm and H.M.S. Polyphemus is about 49mm.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounding more hopeful all the time Dave.
    Thanks for that extra bit of information.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

I managed to get pictures of the models and measure them with my caliper (not with the paper tape measurer)
    Name:  Mahonesa stbd.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  116.2 KB

the scale of the Mahonesa class, with a gun deck length of 44,2 mm, is almost perfect (1:986).

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

The Ardent class with a gun deck of 49,2 mm is almost in perfect scale 1:982

Name:  HMS Hagamemnon.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  151.2 KB

but I wonted to compare them with wave two.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

more about this later as I have to go, please wait.

Got my mail yesterday, that the ships are on the way.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also got a message to that effect Sven.
    Should be here in about eight days on the usual delivery scale.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

It sure is good to be back online, Lads. I recently picked up the first 6 ships of wave 4 through Miniature Market. Haven't had a chance to pull them out and have a go yet.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Back online, well anyone knows what's going on with the "mother" forum?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Miniature Market has the 6 ships of the second half of wave 4 in stock currently.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

I had the impression that the gun ports in wave 3 and 4 models looked smaller than those of wave 2.
    Therefore I compared an Hebe and an Ardent:

There is a noticeable difference between the two and also the masts look a little bit too similar in eight.

I would say that the Hebe looks more fearsome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Spot on Franco. They are definitely smaller. Guess I will be getting out the black paint pot again then.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Are the wave 4 gun port to small or the wave 2 gun ports too large?
    I checked the models against the draughts
    the following is an Ardent
    Name:  Confronto Ardent.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  59.9 KB
    taking into account that the picture is distorted due to the perspective I would say that the models is really close to the draught and is a good scale model, the masts are oversized and I remember how good the SoG hulls look when you replace the original masts with metal ones like in the wonderful works by Julián.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

At this point I had to do the same with the Hebe:

Name:  Confronto Hebe.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  46.9 KB

Well gun ports are clearly oversized, except this the hull is good.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Finally I wanted to compare a SoG Ardent to a metal high end hull,

Name:  Confronto Ardent Sog-LGT.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  45.2 KB

not bad at all.

Conclusion:

probably the first two models of wave 4 are the best so far (scale-wise).

Let's hope that Ares fixed the problems with the other two.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The gaps between ports should be larger than the ports so it looks as if Hebe is wrong Franco.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi chaps, good to be back on here. I also got a mail my Tonnant and Bucentaure are enroute.
    Still think the new ships are smaller.
    DB came up with the Ares designer tiok the size direct from Windows and hence approx 10% out of kilter.

Anyway have rigged my HMS Agamemnom , Ill post a pic after the Reading show this weekend.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 11-17-2017 at 02:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Look forward to seeing that Chris.
    Have a good time at the show.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The gaps between ports should be larger than the ports so it looks as if Hebe is wrong Franco.
    Rob.
    Yes Rob, the Hebe model ports are too large. Proportions in Mahonesa and Ardent are better respected. At the end of the day Mahonesa and Ardent are far better models than we expected/feared.
    Last June when I e-mailed ARES my remarks on wave 4 models, Roberto told me that the Mahonesa models would have been about 10% larger than in picture, and it turned out to be the case. Now I hope they also took into consideration to change the mizzens on the Indiaman and the 80 gun.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Still waiting and hoping I will get them by Christmas...................

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Back online, well anyone knows what's going on with the "mother" forum?
    Just showing signs of coming back to life Andy.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Well, for my two cents.
    I think it more important to show consistency between the models. In the real world, gunports were roughly the same size. The models should reflect that. To have such disparity makes it difficult to set early vs new models side by side. Also, all four of the first ships I got (the frigates and HMS Africa had sloppy paintwork. Anybody else run into this?

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Hi Robert,

I'm with you. I would have preferred consistency, anyway the hulls of these models are consistent in scale with wave 1 and 2.
    My Mahonesa models have poor paintwork too.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Like Bligh said, I'm not too worried I'll just have to break out my paint.
    Still wondering though about what to do with headsails that are filling opposite the spanker/driver.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just a blustery day Robert.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The second half of Wave 4 was due for release last Friday (17th). Have there been any sign of the ships?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

From what I have read I am under the impression they have been. Got a note from Keith say an order is on it's way hopfully it will get here in time for Exmas.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Mine too.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

After the debacle with the Spanish ships in the last wave I've been waiting to order this new wave. I want to see how many faults they've made and let that decide how many I will order. Right now I'm considering to continue cutting up two Témérairs to get a Tonnant and a wreck. If I have to make changes to the Tonnants anyway that will at least make them fit in with the older ships better.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you decide to do that Jonas, please write us up a "How To" as you progress. It will prove very useful for anyone wanting to follow your lead.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The second half of Wave 4 was due for release last Friday (17th). Have there been any sign of the ships?
    They have been sighted on the horizon and are closing in on their new home ports.

Got a chance to see some of the wave 4 ships at PAX Unplugged this weekend. I was demoing SoG at the Ares booth. Picked up an Aggie, Bucentaure , Bonhomme Richard, Diana, and Tonnant. They did have the Bertin but I didn't get that one. I have not had a chance to pull them all out yet. The Bucentaure does seem to have small gun ports compared to the Hebe class ships.

Name:  Pax1.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  Pax2.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  111.7 KB

I was tempted to pick up Wings of Glory WWII starter set since I got some merch for my time, but stuck with ships! Sorry for the bad snaps I didn't have much time as there was a lot of interest in Sails so I was busy running games.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just heard my wave 4 models are on their way from Keith- 2 weeks too late for my US friend to whom they are going to bring them over, so no models for me until the end of April 2018

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you decide to do that Jonas, please write us up a "How To" as you progress. It will prove very useful for anyone wanting to follow your lead.
    I think I did. Perhaps not made as a “how to” but documented step by step. I added the Langton sterngalleries in a later thread, when the ships were painted and perhaps even rigged. I’ll se if I can find them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you put them all together in one thread, I can put them in the "How to" section for you Jonas.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'll make it later. The conversion was mixed in in the end of a mixed thread. It does need to be rewritten.
    Right now I can just add them to find them more easily.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...4-to-80-or-64/

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...-stern-gallery

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Two great conversions which I seem to have missed somehow Jonas.
    Both are well worth a place in "How to" once you have tidied them up from the remarks.
    I will then be able to present a star to your medal.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, I have made two new threads in the Chippy Shop that you could make "How to's" of.

Here are a couple of pics of the Bonhomme Richard

Name:  BR1.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  BR2.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  139.7 KB