Thread: Boarding with Advanced Rules

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cordell

Default Boarding with Advanced Rules

Question about how boarding working using the advanced rules. If one ship prepares the boarding action and the other ship doesn't, is the boarding automatically successful and the ships are grappled? Or do you still need to do the 50-50 drawing to see if the boarding is successful? Also, do ships need to prepare the boarding action to continue the grapple on subsequent turns?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Boarding is only 100% guaranteed if both parties choose to board.
    All other options are chosen randomly.

Boarding has to be done on further turns otherwise you not be grappled , but may still be fouled.

Thats my interpretation

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cordell

So, when it comes to whether a grapple occurs, there's no difference between:
    - preparing the boarding action and choosing a blank
    - not preparing the boarding action

That seems odd to me

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

No
    If neither ship chooses boarding, no grappled and no boarding.
    If both choose boarding then ships grappled and boarding takes place
    If one side prepares a boarding party and the other does not you draw to see if the boarding takes place

Once boarding has been decided and one side chose prepare and the other ship does not then the ship that chose not to have a boarding party takes another chit, so could possibly lose another crew. That is the advantage of choosing a boarding party or disadvantage of not choosing the boarding party.

Does that explain it better ?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Cordell

That makes sense, but this line in the rulebook is confusing me:

Only a ship that planned a boarding action may declare a boarding. It is not mandatory to do so - for example, a ship may plan a boarding action, and then declare a blank counter against the boarding attempt of an opponent.
    So, what happens if you declare a blank counter and prepared a boarding action?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Think of it this way, in the advanced rules you have a limited number of actions so in the planning phase you decide to plan a boarding action and so place the crossed swords counter in one of the action box.

Once planning has been done you reveal the crew actions, this would show you have a boarding party prepared.

When it comes to the boarding phase, after the gunnery and musketry phase you can then declare the blank counter, so although you prepared a boarding party you are not using it.
    Although I have no idea why you would prepare a boarding party and then not use it on defence if you were being boarded.
    On offence I can see you could choose not to go over snd wait to use cannister on the crew in the next turn before sending over.

The crux being you must plan a boarding party in the planning phase but just because you planned it you dont have to use it

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

If you do not want to get stuck but are afraid of being boarded you may get men prepared for close fighting in a boarding action, but you still do not want to initiate it.

I remember something like if you haven't planned any boarding action you take all your damage before dealing the damage back. That would symbolise the crew not being prepared for any hand to hand fighting.