Thread: Scale notes and findings

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Default Scale notes and findings

I've started to check miniatures against my Line Chart for scale assessment, so here's what I've found.

SGN101 1777 Concorde 12pdr 32 - no draught for comparison, probably close to SGN103 in "oversize".
    SGN102 1782 Temeraire 36/24pdr Large 74 -
    SGN103 1773 Amazon 12pdr 32 - about 3mm (8%) longer on waterline; proportions look like good match to NMM HIL0231 HMS Cleopatra. About 1/925 scale.
    SGN104 1760 Bellona 32/18pdr Common 74 -

SGN105 1782 Hebe 18pdr 38 - about 3mm (7%) longer on waterline; proportions appear to generally fit NMM ZAZ4909 HMS Leda. About 1/939 scale.
    SGN106 Ocean 120 -
    SGN107 Swan 14-18 - no drawing available.
    SGN108 1765 Victory 100 -

SGN201 1803 Victory 100 -
    SGN202 1797 Humphreys Superfrigate -

SGN109 1765 Artesien 64 - 4mm (8%) oversize; generally matches ZAZ1339 Prothee. About 1/927 scale.
    SGN110 Portland 50 - 2mm (4%) oversize; proportions fit ZAZ1718 Portland. About 1/958 scale.
    SGN111 Meregildos 112 - LWL bang-on to NMM ZAZ0042 Salvador del Mundo, but sternboard much too vertical. Cannot rule out SdM being refitted with a more raked sternboard in RN service, though.
    SGN112 Bahama 74 - dead match to NMM ZAZ0763 draught.

SGN113 Mahonesa 12pdr 34 -
    SGN114 1764 Ardent 64 -
    SGN115 1789 Tonnant 80 -
    SGN116 - no drawing available
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Update: We're back to the Screen Vs Print Size Disscrepancy. SGN111 and 112 match undersize On-Screen, all others surveyed match Hardcopy. This makes 111 and 112 slightly undersize--the biggest problem is that SGN108 and SGN201's stern galleries should be reversed from where they are. 108 has the late-style enclosed gallery but early chevron gunports, while 201 has the as-built open galleries but the back-slash gunports of today.

I think the problem is a Windows issue that by default it wants to scale screen displays smaller than actual size.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I always find that when I am going to print cards I have to scale them a mm larger than the say on the screen.
    I always thought it was a discrepancy with my printer, but maybe it is as you have discovered DB.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I think it might be because Windows always seems determined to print a border around the edge of every page.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

David, you're referring to the printer-rescaling issue, right? I noticed that by default my printers always want to rescale to 97%... then again, I also use reduced margins, anywhere from 3/4 all the way down to a bare 1/4" around the edges.

When you've spent a lot of time in pay-by-the-sheet places, you learn to pack as much onto a page as you can... LOL
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also use narrow margins to save paper, especially for printing out Solo game instructions which I like to duplex onto one double sheet to save lots of messing about during the game.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.