Thread: Coastline production in sequence.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Coastline production in sequence.

How to 3D the Ares coastline modules.

Having taken part in several Solo games where scenarios included the very nice cut out card coastline by Ares, I have finally decided that rather than continue to approximate the coast with my 3D coastal units I would make some coast to the authentic shape of Ares originals. for this project I have borrowed Captain Kiwi's Coastal cards and used them as a template to shape out my own 3d version.

Name:  IMG_4471.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  136.9 KB

Here is the start of the process. Cut out the coastline shapes from insulation foam.
    You may notice that I am doing two of some parts which may be used as mirror images just as Ares ones can be turned over and used.

Next I'm starting to shape the contours and add the plasticard for the beach.

Name:  IMG_4473.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  111.6 KB

Gluing up the beach.

Name:  IMG_4474.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4513.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  179.3 KB

The result.

Name:  IMG_4475.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  132.8 KB

The final pieces of landscape.

Here they are sealed with PVA drying and waiting for a first undercoat. Should be dry in a few hours.

Name:  IMG_4599.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  177.6 KB

Now the enjoyable bit starts.

Next phase of my terrain production is to spray coat the foam with brown undercoat.

Name:  IMG_4600.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  164.4 KB

Then painting the cliffs and beach can be carried out.

Name:  IMG_4653.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  191.5 KB

Using the piece of terrain from my harbour modules as a guide I proceeded with the grass texturing of the hillsides..

For this and the next steps I am employing the following materials.

Name:  IMG_4657.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  193.9 KB

From left to right they are:-
    fine grit, coarse grit, static grass, clumped flock as used for trees.
    In the foreground is cork bark for large rocks and outliers.

Firstly I applied another coat of PVA.

Name:  IMG_4654.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  216.2 KB

Then I shook over it my green flock undercoat.

Name:  IMG_4655.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  240.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4656.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  219.4 KB

Once that was done I repeated for the other pieces until I had the result below with a bit of Static green to give some texture.

Name:  IMG_4658.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  207.9 KB

Following that I have added the beach material, painted the surf line, and done a bit of highlighting and dry brushing.

Now it is off to the workshop for a final spray with matte varnish.

Name:  IMG_4659.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  198.9 KB

I then left it to dry fully.

Now our coastal strip is all completed and ready for action.

Name:  IMG_4660.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4661.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  117.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4662.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  112.7 KB

Hope you like the result.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Great work, Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Good work there!
    Last edited by Killick; 10-19-2017 at 00:11.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just finished in time to get something new started for next month.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rick

Very nice, great with the backdrop.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Rick.
    You can see a bit more of it here.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...mongst-thieves

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was a great piece of modelling, Rob. Well done!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Very nice indeed, Rob.

But you know what the next step is...

Real World Locations. :D (Scratching terrain to match contour, the part that really killed me as a model railroader--I have the maps, but can't get them enlarged enough or get enough room to do the New York Central's Lakefront line as accurately as I'd like.)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I actually have a job on the Go at the moment which requires me to draw a cross section through the contours on an OS. Map to get the actual terrain correctly profiled. As you say it is a pain DB and I'm only working at 1:1200.

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, I think that shows you why I never laid an inch of track and my prized complete 1948 20th Century Limited has never left its original shipping box other than an inspection upon delivery... :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have something which I will photograph and show you tomorrow DB.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 07-01-2017 at 14:23.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

For perspective, it helps to note that a complete HO Scale NYC 20th Century Limited passenger train is twenty feet long from lead locomotive front coupler to observation-car tailsign. In some ways, I'd almost rather deal with small terrain, because at a smaller scale I could just cut smaller, more manageable "layer cake" pieces to match the bottom of each contour then sand the sides to a smooth match with the next layer up.

You've given me a nudge about another thread I've been meaning to start, though... since Ares responded somewhat favorably to my idea of specific real-world sites as a terrain accessory, I think it's time to start crowdsourcing suggestions on that.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I've made both Aboukir Bay and the coast south of San Domingo.

I mainly make terrain when there's some historical battle I want to make that needs a little coast or if there's some solo game scenario that needs terrain I haven't got.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you any pictures of the San Domingo coast Jonas?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the redirect Jonas.
    I had forgotten all about it in the two years since.
    It was well worth a revisit.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's a little funny to see these again after you added the battle in the history section.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope that yo enjoyed the history of the battles Jonas. As you know I focused upon the persona involved rather than describe the actual battle as I expect that most people know about those anyway. I may attempt some of the more obscure encounters in the future, but the information on the men who took part is also more difficult to come by, especially for the none British Junior Officers. Even in some of the big battles I have had to translate information from primary sources.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Has anybody else noticed that since the 28th of June this thread has not registered in the " What's New" header thread.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Showed up for me, Rob.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's strange.
    I am still not seeing it, although everything else is working just fine.
    Must be just a glitch on my line.
    Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Amzi

Wow this is amazing! Great job!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome to the Anchorage Amzi.
    Secondly thank you for your remarks.
    The real master of all this is really Julián. Have a look at some of his work.
    Compared to him I am but a poor apprentice.
    Rob.

Super tutorial Rob. You make me want to build more terrain.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Super tutorial Rob. You make me want to build more terrain.
    Then go to it young shaver, go to it.
    Bligh.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Draxon

Awesome, looks great!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you very much Draxon, and thank you also for the Rep you sent me.
    With this being your first post, I must now welcome you to the Anchorage formally on behalf of all the other sailors here, and invite you to the Wardroom of my ship to meet them all over a drop of my finest virtual Port that you will ever taste.
    Good luck and good sailing.
    Bligh.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    andrew

fantastic project looking forward to others if any in the pipeline

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sorry that I could not show you the Battle of the Nile terrain in progress Andy, but it was a hush hush project.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Rob this is absolutely stunning work. Thanks to your advice I’ll be ordering the materials and will be making some coastline ASAP. The vinyl ocean mat (table covering really) is on its way from Amazon.

Now the only thing I need to buy is a Kraken. Gotta Unleash the Kraken for my kiddos!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is this the sort of thing you mean Chuck.

Here we see Ensign Patch with his Kracken at the Pirates game Doncaster last year.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Hahaha! That is awesome! My son says he loves it too. This is such a fun game. I’m searching for miniature sea monsters now online.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just acquired the rest of my fortifications from Julian ready for the next bit of coastal building.
    This is my largest fort yet.

Name:  IMG_5834.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  137.5 KB

Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Very nice work Rob. Truly an inspiration. What thickness of platicard did you use for the base layer?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The base layer was one mm plasticard Nick.
    rob.