Name
    Rob

Name:  35053_admiral%20hawke.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  200px-Edward_Hawke_1.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  18.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke, KB, PC was a Royal Navy officer. As captain of the third-rate HMS Berwick he took part in the Battle of Toulon in February 1744 during the War of the Austrian Succession.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Admiral-Harvey-sign-2007.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  Henry_Harvey.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  12.9 KB

Admiral Sir Henry Harvey, KB (July 1743 – 28 December 1810) was a long-serving officer of the British Royal Navy during the second half of the eighteenth century. Harvey participated in numerous naval operations and actions and especially distinguished himself at the Glorious First of June in command of HMS Ramillies. His career took him all over the world, particularly on the North American station and in the West Indies where he commanded numerous ships and, later in his career, squadrons during the course of three different wars. Harvey was a member of a distinguished naval family, his brother was killed in action in 1794, three of his sons entered the navy and one of them was later raised to admiral himself.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in Plymouth.

Name:  the-walrus.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  29.3 KB

This is the back view.

Name:  the-walrus-pub.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  24.4 KB

It is a pity that the picture of the aircraft is incorrect.

A real Supermarine Walrus. They were launched by catapult from cruisers and battleships as spotter planes but also found themselves in other roles like air-sea rescue, anti-submarine patrol and on rare occasions a light bomber.

Name:  supermarine-walrus.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 04-15-2018 at 10:43.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in Monument Street, London.

Name:  1490182689215.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  122.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  89a33b351c4229645e105f6b2ec31217--pub-signs-house-signs.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  20.1 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Still in London, this Walrus is in Westminster Bridge Road.

Name:  130222_walrus.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  95.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  55794_640.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  144.4 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Admiral Stopford Arms is in Plymouth.
    Name:  admiral1.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  200px-Admiral_Sir_Robert_Stopford.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  15.2 KB

Admiral Sir Robert Stopford served in the Royal Navy for over 60 years in a career stretching from the French Revolutionary Wars to the Syrian War.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert..._Navy_officer)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 957
Size:  390.0 KB

Name:  Waldergrave.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  149.9 KB

William Waldegrave, 1st Baron Radstock, GCB (9 July 1753 – 20 August 1825) was the Governor of Newfoundland and an admiral in the Royal Navy
    Waldegrave was the second son of John Waldegrave, 3rd Earl Waldegrave, and Elizabeth (née Gower). Joining the navy at age 13 in 1766, Waldegrave rose rapidly through the ranks, receiving his own command, the sloop HMS Zephyr in 1775, and being promoted to vice-admiral in 1795. He was the third in command on the British side at the Battle of Cape St Vincent in February 1797, and was offered a baronetcy for the role he played in the battle. Waldegrave declined the offer (on the grounds that as a son of an earl, he already held a higher station), and was appointed the Governor of Newfoundland, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, on 16 May 1797.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in New Braunfels, Texas.

Name:  rcnOuyFw_400x400.jpeg
Views: 888
Size:  41.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another Benbow.

Name:  679509-the-sign-of-the-admiral-benbow.jpg
Views: 2060
Size:  117.5 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is at Puerto del Carmen in the Canary Islands.

Name:  83216935.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  21.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  22004612.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  39.4 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Thirsty Whale bar is in Napier, New Zealand.

Name:  thirsty-whale.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 03-04-2020 at 23:27.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the%20foxhound.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  33.2 KB

The Famous Fox Hound

In 1767 sixteen year old Lemuel Parken left his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, and walked to Portsmouth to join the Royal Navy, not knowing that he would one day create a legend in the village of Brixton in Devon.

With a letter of introduction from Captain Drury, a shipmate of his father the Reverend George Parken, Lemuel was accepted into the Navy as a Volunteer First Class. Having been educated by his father, it did not take long for his superiors to discover he could read and write, was good at mathematics and knew the classics, Greek and Latin. Thanks to his Menorcan mother, he was fluent in Spanish and inherited her swarthy good looks.

His promotion was rapid and at the age of twenty he was rated Master, making him responsible for ship navigation, pilotage and midshipman’s training. As such he was the senior warrant officer on board.

A young Cornish Midshipman, Edward Pellew, then came under his care and became this country’s most successful frigate captain Sir Edward Pellew, Viscount Exmouth. When Pellew was appointed to his first command he insisted on Lemuel becoming his ship’s master and together they spent several years capturing many enemy ships and enjoying the high rewards of prize money.

His fortune made, Lemuel was introduced to Edward Pellew’s brother, who was Controller of Customs. Lemuel was invited to leave the Navy and join the Revenue Service as a Commander. His first mission was to clear the Yealm River and its estuary of smuggling and illicit trading with the Bretons. He discovered that their link was a woman known by the colourful name of Black Joan, who was able to signal from the Mewstone at Wembury. So widespread was the smuggling situation at the time that even a Royal Navy frigate had been caught in the act.

Lemuel was given command of an American-built cutter “The Foxhound”, faster and more heavily armed than a normal Customs vessel. Raising a crew from ex-shipmates and using all of their past experience, they discovered the source of the smuggling ring to be at Cofflete Creek at Brixton Torr. One cold wet November night in 1785, the “Foxhounds” laid an ambush and on the given signal attacked the smugglers, capturing no less than forty of them in Cofflete Creek Mill. The prisoners, including ten Bretons, were brought to trial in the Assize Room above what is now the restaurant of this Public House.

The local magistrate found them guilty and they were submitted for sentence at Plymouth, from whence they were transported to the Colonies for life. Black Joan was banished to Looe Island in Cornwall. So pleased were the authorities with this result that they rewarded Lemuel by giving him the lease of these premises for his own use. He named it “The Famous Fox Hound Inn” and ran it as a successful coaching inn. In time, the “famous” was dropped and the origins of the inn became confused with hunting.

Retiring to his mother’s birthplace, Es Castell on the island of Menorca, Lemuel lived to the grand old age of eighty-nine and lies buried in the English officers’ Cemetery above the town.

Edward Boyle, April 1999 .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  0-028-640x480.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  115.4 KB

HMS Torbay was previously HMS Neptune, a 90-gun second rate launched in 1683, renamed Torbay in 1750 and sold in 1785.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Still in New Zealand, this bar is in Kaiteriteri.

Name:  the-beached-whale-restaurant.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  44.6 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub called the Whale's Tooth is in Lincolnville, Maine, U.S.A..

Name:  whale-s-tooth-pub-and.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  70.8 KB

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Tom Crean was involved in both Scott's ill-fated race to the South Pole and in Shackelton's voyage to Antarctica on the Endurance. In the latter case, the Endurance got caught in the ice. After about a year and a half, Scott, Crean and others got into a little boat, sailed 1500 km to South Georgia and then, without a map, hiked 48 km for 36 hrs over the island's glaciated mountain range to a small whaling station. After about 3 months, they were able to finally able to organise the rescue of the rest of the crew still trapped on the ice.

After such an ordeal, the appropriate thing to do is to return to the village of Annascaul where you were born in the Southwest of Ireland and establish a pub called the South Pole Inn. Both the region and the pub are well worth a visit.
    Name:  SouthPoleInn.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  333.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  24029647761_948b840f68.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  42.8 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Prince O' Whales is reputedly the oldest sports bar in Los Angeles. It may be found at 335 Culver Blvd, Playa Del Rey.

Name:  prince-o-whales.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  39.9 KBName:  event-7281273.jpeg
Views: 1003
Size:  22.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A topical link for today, continuing the connection with the Royal Family.

Name:  king-william-iv-heydon-e1508590536322.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  Prince William..jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  58.6 KB

William was raised in the Royal Navy from boyhood. During the American War of Independence his father, George III, sent him to serve under the brilliant admiral, Samuel, Lord Hood. At this time William met and befriended Horatio Nelson, who would assume Hood’s mantle in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. Although his own sea-going career ended in 1790, William remained a naval man to the end of his life. In 1827 he was appointed Lord High Admiral by Prime Minister George Canning, who hoped to cultivate the heir to throne.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This tavern is in Deer Island, Maine, U.S.A.

Name:  Whales-Rib-Tavern-Logo-300x148.png
Views: 1487
Size:  42.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  1200px-HotelLordExmouth.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  194.9 KB

Name:  170px-Sir_Edward_Pellew.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  6.1 KB

Admiral Edward Pellew, 1st Viscount Exmouth, GCB (19 April 1757 – 23 January 1833) was a British naval officer. He fought during the American War of Independence, the French Revolutionary Wars, and the Napoleonic Wars.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another Thirsty Whale; this time from Algonquin, Illinois.

Name:  e077small.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  67.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  150.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  15.9 KB

Not a very clear shot of The Crown and Anchor.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub was in Rotherhithe, London. Sadly, it is now closed.

Name:  pic586.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  27.5 KB

Ten ships in the Royal navy have been named H.M.S. York. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_York

The most recent was a Type-42 destroyer.

Name:  1200px-Hms_york.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 04-26-2018 at 22:48.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  24029647761_948b840f68.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  42.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  cfcf7db1e8faa38103a8f6235afeeb67--shop-signage-british-pub.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  27.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  unnamed.png
Views: 864
Size:  13.9 KB
    Name:  Walnut tree.png
Views: 1042
Size:  182.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  800px-the_shipperies_pub_liverpool.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  151.3 KB

The Shipperies public house was probably built to provide refreshments and overnight lodgings for visitors to the International Exhibition of Navigation, Traveling, Commerce and Manufacture (known as the Shipperies Exhibition), which was held at the Exhibition Hall on Edge Lane in 1886.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in Portsmouth.

Name:  93ca11d0c21a9bcd6205143e8b7cb325.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  36.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  4888f7fc175b475093a715d0a9610eb9.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  99.6 KB

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Eileen

Another famous Bristol public house.

Name:  Bristol.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  211.3 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Blue Anchor is at Barry, near Cardiff in Wales.

Name:  blue-anchor-inn.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  54.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  26170266_174519279815141_5828903867810182542_o.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  79.5 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another Blue Anchor; this one is in Aintree, Liverpool.

Name:  35035.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  58.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  imagesRC3BLFFV.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  11.3 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yet another Blue Anchor. this time at Minehead in Somerset. It seems a popular name for a pub.

Name:  970a73703b222e1f7d7fd5ccb509feb7.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  21.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  44132735.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  11.7 KB

Name:  200px-Edward_Hawke_1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  18.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke, KB, PC (21 February 1705 – 17 October 1781) was a Royal Navy officer. As captain of the third-rate HMS Berwick he took part in the Battle of Toulon in February 1744 during the War of the Austrian Succession. He also captured six ships of a French squadron in the Bay of Biscay in the Second Battle of Cape Finisterre in October 1747.
    Hawke went on to achieve a victory over a French fleet at the Battle of Quiberon Bay in November 1759 during the Seven Years' War, preventing a French invasion of Britain. He developed the concept of a Western Squadron, keeping an almost continuous blockade of the French coast throughout the war.
    Hawke also sat in the House of Commons from 1747 to 1776 and served as First Lord of the Admiralty for five years between 1766 and 1771. In this post, he was successful in bringing the navy's spending under control and also oversaw the mobilisation of the navy during the Falklands Crisis in 1770

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This Blue Anchor is at Helston in Cornwall.

Name:  the-blue-anchor.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  72.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Admiral Hawke.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  149.6 KB

Another Admiral Hawke.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yet another Blue Anchor; this time in Hoylake. I wonder why it is such a popular name for pubs.

Name:  blue-anchor-best-pub.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  53.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Admiral Owen.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  12.1 KB

Name:  William_Fitzwilliam_Owen.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  43.2 KB

Vice Admiral William Fitzwilliam Owen (17 September 1774 – 3 November 1857), was a British naval officer and explorer. He is best known for his exploration of the west and east African coasts, discovery of the Seaflower Channel off the coast of Sumatra and for surveying the Canadian Great Lakes.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

They even have gone abroad. This one is in Palm Beach, Florida.

Name:  sdd-blue-anchor.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  193.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  5739223101_1676668c10.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  136.6 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From a Blue Anchor to a Rusty Anchor, this pub is in Pohnpei, Hawaii.

Name:  img405.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  135.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Must have run out of blue paint Dave!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Admiral St Lucius Curtis Southampton.png
Views: 829
Size:  559.6 KB

Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis in S'hampton.
    Looks more like a Bank than a pub to me.

Name:  admiral-sir-lucius-curtis.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  24.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet Sir Lucius Curtis, 2nd Baronet, KCB, DL (3 June 1786 – 14 January 1869) was a senior officer of the Royal Navy during the nineteenth century. The son of Sir Roger Curtis, 1st Baronet, Lord Howe's flag captain at the Glorious First of June, Lucius served during the Napoleonic Wars and was heavily involved in the Mauritius campaign of 1810. During this campaign, Curtis commanded the frigate HMS Magicienne with the blockade squadron under Josias Rowley and was still in command when the ship was destroyed at the Battle of Grand Port. Magicienne grounded on a coral reef early in the engagement and despite the best efforts of Curtis and his crew, the ship had to be abandoned, Curtis setting her on fire to prevent her subsequent capture.
    After Curtis was freed from captivity in December 1810, he was cleared of any wrongdoing in the loss of his ship and returned to his naval career. He later rose to become an Admiral of the Fleet.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This pub is in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

Name:  c0d0c0ae7c039314f5e5fc39ff22cae4.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  314.2 KB