Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The lord Nelson Sneinton Nottingham.
    Name:  lord nelson sneinton.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  30.6 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Also from Caister-on-Sea there is "Never Turn Back".

Name:  NeverTurnBack.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  153.0 KB

To understand this you need to know the motto of the Caister lifeboat crew, " Caister men never turn back".
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:15.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

During September, me and Kubajs, of course, will visit Doncaster again (yay!). Any recommendations to a nautical tavern there? In Central Europe there are any... :( (guess why :D)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good one Dave.
    Now for something more destructive.

Name:  aa9d890cce0be879c1a0859f6cde6240--uk-pub-shop-signage.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  15.3 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Could it be a distinct lack of salty wet stuff, Daniel?

Here is The Pier Tavern from Great Yarmouth.

Name:  209a1d720b454072a0e9d26b21476be5.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  107.8 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-06-2019 at 11:50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Bude-Globe-Inn-Sign.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  328.6 KB

A good old West Country Pub?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Could it be a distinct lack of salty wet stuff, Daniel?
    When our clients are crying during high power testing in our lab, there is a lot of salt...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    During September, me and Kubajs, of course, will visit Doncaster again (yay!). Any recommendations to a nautical tavern there? In Central Europe there are any... :( (guess why :D)

The Lord Nelson.
    On the corner of Cleveland Street and Printing Office Street.

Name:  Nelson.png
Views: 1709
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  Map.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  129.3 KB

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-10-2017 at 03:47.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For my pub of the day today. Another Nottingham pub.
    The Admiral Vernon.

Name:  Admiral-Vernon.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  125.9 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

At Hunstanton there is The Neptune Inn.

Name:  DSC01190.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  165.0 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:16.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another Vernon from Basford Nottingham.

Name:  31142_e1f1bd61.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  9.8 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

At Thetford there is The Ark.

Name:  rb178.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  19.7 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-06-2019 at 11:51.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How's this for one up pubmanship Dave!

Name:  1193818_0d40cc18.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  50.5 KB
    Gosport Hants.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another one from Thetford - The Dolphin.

Name:  44444444_2_800x600.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-06-2019 at 11:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another one from Pompey.

Name:  b0fc78cb5e41cb72c615b6f341511626.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  185.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We should not forget Admiral Nelson's second-in-command. In Ilfracombe there is The Admiral Collingwood.

Name:  141158120814Wilton_JTW_Ilfracombe_10July14_23.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  86.7 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:17.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Bangor.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  70.9 KB

Another Lord Nelson at Bangor.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is one to encompass all other seafaring pubs.

Name:  9257507326_6ff47cb9d9_b.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  122.8 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This one turned up in the same search, which found the blue beer. The Blue Anchor is situated in Helston in Cornwall.

Name:  the-blue-anchor.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  72.5 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:18.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  c8e55821ce7c7f572efc349d94b38801.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  25.3 KB

Looks like a very Free House to me!

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A famous name for an inn from Treasure Island. The Admiral Benbow is in Penzance.

Name:  bu42big.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  46.3 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:18.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From Wikipedia

John Benbow (10 March 1653 – 4 November 1702) was an English officer in the Royal Navy. He joined the navy aged 25 years, seeing action against Algerian pirates before leaving and joining the merchant navy where he traded until the Glorious Revolution of 1688, whereupon he returned to the Royal Navy and was commissioned.

Benbow fought against France during the Nine Years War (1688–97), serving on and later commanding several English vessels and taking part in the battles of Beachy Head, Barfleur and La Hogue in 1690 and 1692. He went on to achieve fame during campaigns against Salé and Moor pirates; laying siege to Saint-Malo; and fighting in the West Indies against France during the War of the Spanish Succession (1701–1714).

Benbow's fame and success earned him both public notoriety and a promotion to admiral. He was then involved in an incident during the Action of August 1702, where a number of his captains refused to support him while commanding a squadron of ships. Benbow instigated the trial and later imprisonment or execution of a number of the captains involved, though he did not live to see these results. These events contributed to his notoriety, and led to several references to him in subsequent popular culture.

Name:  220px-John_Benbow.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  16.6 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Benbow

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one is in the Haymarket.

Name:  Captains-Cabin-Pub-Sign-Haymarket.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  77.7 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Come all you seamen bold and draw near, and draw near,
    Come all you seamen bold and draw near,
    It's of an admiral's fame, O brave Benbow was his name
    How he fought all on the main, you shall hear, you shall hear.

Brave Benbow he set sail for to fight, for to fight
    Brave Benbow he set sail for to fight
    Brave Benbow he set sail with a fine and pleasent gale
    But his Captains they turned tail in a fright, in a fright.

Says Kirby unto Wade: We will run, we will run
    Says Kirby unto Wade: We will run
    For I value no disgrace, nor the losing of my place
    But the enemy I won't face nor his guns, nor his guns.

The Ruby and Benbow fought the French, fought the French,
    The Ruby and Benbow fought the French.
    They fought them up and down, till the blood came trickling down
    Till the blood came trickling down where they lay, where they lay.

Brave Benbow lost his legs by chainshot, by chainshot,
    Brave Benbow lost his legs by chainshot
    Brave Benbow lost his legs And on his stumps he begs
    Fight on my English lads, 'tis our lot, 'tis our lot.

The surgeon dress'd his wounds, cries Benbow, cries Benbow,
    The surgeon dress'd his wounds, cries Benbow:
    Let a cradle now in haste, on the quarterdeck be placed
    That the enemy I may face, till I die, till I die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkxyBaWJgy0

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-18-2017 at 01:14.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today we have........The Admiral Boscawen.
    A small pub for a man with such a great history.

See next post.

Name:  Admiral Boscowan Truro..jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  75.1 KB

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-19-2017 at 08:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral Boscowen.

Name:  Edward_Boscawen_by_Sir_Joshua_Reynolds.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  113.4 KB

The Honourable Edward Boscawen was born in Tregothnan, Cornwall, England on 19 August 1711, the third son of Hugh Boscawen, 1st Viscount Falmouth (1680–1734) by his wife Charlotte Godfrey (d.1754) elder daughter and co-heiress of Colonel Charles Godfrey, master of the jewel office by his wife Arabella Churchill, the King's mistress, and sister to the Duke of Marlborough.
    The young Edward joined the navy at the age of 12 aboard the HMS Superb of 60-guns. The Superb was sent to the West Indies with Admiral Francis Hosier. Boscawen stayed with Superb for three years during the Anglo-Spanish War. He was subsequently reassigned to the HMS Canterbury, HMS Hector, and HMS Namur under Admiral Sir Charles Wager and was aboard the Namur when she sailed into Cadiz and Livorno following the Treaty of Seville that ended hostilities between Britain and Spain. On 25 May 1732 Boscawen was promoted lieutenant and in the August of the same year rejoined his old ship the 44-gun fourth rate Hector in the Mediterranean. He remained with her until 16 October 1735 when he was promoted to the 70-gun HMS Grafton. On 12 March 1736 Boscawen was promoted by Admiral Sir John Norris to the temporary command of the 50-gun HMS Leopard. His promotion was confirmed by the Board of Admiralty. In June 1738 Boscawen was given command of HMS Shoreham a small sixth-rate of 20-guns. He was ordered to accompany Admiral Edward Vernon to the West Indies in preparation for the oncoming war with Spain.

War of Jenkins' Ear.

The War of Jenkins' Ear proved to be Boscawen’s first opportunity for action and when the Shoreham was declared unfit for service he volunteered to accompany Vernon and the fleet sent to attack Porto Bello.

Name:  Porta bella.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  157.4 KB

The bombardment of Porto Bello,
    by Samuel Scott

During the siege Boscawen was ordered with Sir Charles Knowles to destroy the forts. The task took three weeks and 122 barrels of gunpowder to accomplish but the British levelled the forts surrounding the town. Vernon’s achievement was hailed in Britain as an outstanding feat of arms and in the furore that surrounded the announcement the patriotic song "Rule, Britannia" was played for the first time. Streets were named after Porto Bello throughout Britain and its colonies. When the fleet returned to Port Royal, Jamaica the Shoreham had been refitted and Boscawen resumed command of her.

Cartagena.

Name:  Defensa_de_Cartagena_de_Indias_por_la_escuadra_de_D__Blas_de_Lezo,_año_1741.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  182.1 KB

Attack at Cartagena de Indias by the British in 1741, oil on canvas, 18th century

In 1741 Boscawen was part of the fleet sent to attack another Caribbean port, Cartagena de Indias. Large reinforcements had been sent from Britain, including 8,000 soldiers who were landed to attack the chain of fortresses surrounding the Spanish colonial city. The Spanish had roughly 6,000 troops made up of regular soldiers, sailors and local loyalist natives. The siege lasted for over two months during which period the British troops suffered over 18,000 casualties, the vast majority from disease. Vernon’s fleet suffered from dysentery, scurvy, yellow fever and other illnesses that were widespread throughout the Caribbean during the period. As a result of the battle Prime Minister Robert Walpole’s government collapsed and George II removed his promise of support to the Austrians if the Prussians advanced into Silesia. The defeat of Vernon was a contributing factor to the increased hostilities of the War of Austrian Succession. Boscawen had however distinguished himself once more. The land forces that he commanded had been instrumental in capturing Fort San Luis and Boca Chica Castle, and together with Knowles he destroyed the captured forts when the siege was abandoned. For his services he was promoted to command the 70-gun Prince Frederick to replace Lord Aubrey Beauclerk who had died during the siege.

War of the Austrian Succession.

In 1742 Boscawen returned in the Prince Frederick to England where she was paid off and Boscawen joined the Fleet commanded by Admiral Norris in the newly built 60-gun HMS Dreadnought. In the same year he was returned as a Member of Parliament for Truro, a position he held until his death. At the 1747 general election he was also returned for Saltash, but chose to continue to sit for Truro.
    In 1744 the French attempted an invasion of England and Boscawen was with the fleet under Admiral Norris when the French fleet were sighted. The French under Admiral Rocquefeuil retreated and the British attempts to engage were confounded by a violent storm that swept the English Channel.
    Whilst cruising the Channel, Boscawen had the good fortune to capture the French frigate Médée. She was the first capture of an enemy ship made during the War of Austrian Succession and was commanded by M. de Hocquart. The Médée was sold and became a successful privateer under her new name Boscawen commanded by George Walker.

At the end of 1744 Boscawen was give command of the HMS Royal Sovereign, guardship at the Nore anchorage. He commanded her until 1745 when he was appointed to another of his old ships HMS Namur that had been reduced (razéed) from 90-guns to 74-guns. He was appointed to command a small squadron under Vice-Admiral Martin in the Channel.

First Battle of Cape Finisterre.

Name:  Samuel_Scott_-_Vice_Admiral_Sir_George_Anson's_Victory_off_Cape_Finisterre_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Views: 7095
Size:  86.0 KB

Battle of Cape Finisterre 1747
    by Samuel Scott

In 1747 Boscawen was ordered to join Admiral Anson and took an active part in the first Battle of Cape Finisterre. The British fleet sighted the French fleet on 3 May. The French fleet under Admiral de la Jonquière was convoying its merchant fleet to France and the British attacked. The French fleet was almost completely annihilated with all but two of the escorts taken and six merchantmen. Boscawen was injured in the shoulder during the battle by a musket ball. Once more the French captain, M. de Hocquart became Boscawen’s prisoner and was taken to England.

Command in India.

Boscawen was promoted rear-admiral of the blue on 15 July 1747and was appointed to command a joint operation being sent to the East Indies. With his flag in the Namur, and with five other line of battle ships, a few smaller men of war, and a number of transports Boscawen sailed from England on 4 November 1747. On the outward voyage Boscawen made an abortive attempt to capture Mauritius by surprise but was driven off by French forces. Boscawen continued on arriving at Fort St. David near the town of Cuddalore on 29 July 1748 and took over command from Admiral Griffin. Boscawen had been ordered to capture and destroy the main French settlement in India at Pondichéry. Factors such as Boscawen’s lack of knowledge and experience of land offensives, the failings of the engineers and artillery officers under his command, a lack of secrecy surrounding the operation and the skill of the French governor Joseph François Dupleix combined to thwart the attack. The British forces amounting to some 5,000 men captured and destroyed the outlying fort of Aranciopang. This capture was the only success of the operation and after failing to breach the walls of the city the British forces withdrew. Amongst the combatants were a young ensign Robert Clive, later known as Clive of India and Major Stringer Lawrence, later Commander-in-Chief, India. Lawrence was captured by the French during the retreat and exchanged after the news of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle had reached India. Over the monsoon season Boscawen remained at Fort St David. Fortunately, for the Admiral and his staff, when a storm hit the British outpost Boscawen was ashore but his flagship the Namur went down with over 600 men aboard.
    Boscawen returned to England in 1750. In 1751 Anson became First Lord of the Admiralty and asked Boscawen to serve on the Admiralty Board. Boscawen remained one of the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty until his death.

Seven Years' War.

Name:  Edward_BoscawenLouisbourgMedal.png
Views: 1118
Size:  89.3 KB

Edward Boscawen Medal: Siege of Louisbourg (1758)

On 4 February 1755 Boscawen was promoted vice-admiral and given command of a squadron on the North American Station. Despite the fact that Britain and France were not formally at war, preparations were being made for a conflict by then considered inevitable. A squadron of partially disarmed French ships of the line were dispatched to Canada loaded with reinforcements and Boscawen was ordered to intercept them. The French ambassador to London, the Duc de Mirepoix had informed the government of George II that any act of hostility taken by British ships would be considered an act of war. Thick fog both obstructed Boscawen's reconnaissance and scattered the French ships, but on 8 June Boscawen’s fleet sighted the Alcide, Lys and Dauphin Royal off Cape Ray off Newfoundland. In the ensuing engagement the British captured the Alcide and Lys but the Dauphin Royal escaped into the fog. Amongst the 1,500 men made prisoner was the captain of the Alcide. For M. de Hocquart it was the third time that Boscawen had fought him and taken his ship. Pay amounting to £80,000 was captured aboard the Lys. Boscawen, as admiral of the fleet, would have been entitled to a sizeable share in the prize money. The British fleet headed for Halifax to regroup but a fever spread through the ships and the Admiral was forced to return to England.

Name:  1280px-The_Shooting_of_Admiral_Byng'_(John_Byng)_from_NPG.jpg
Views: 3752
Size:  244.1 KB

The Execution of Admiral John Byng aboard HMS Monarch

Boscawen returned to the Channel Fleet and was commander-in-chief Portsmouth during the trial of Admiral John Byng. Boscawen signed the order of execution after the King had refused to grant the unfortunate admiral a pardon. Boscawen was advanced to Senior Naval Lord on the Admiralty Board in November 1756 but then stood down (as Senior Naval Lord although he remained on the Board) in April 1757, during the caretaker ministry, before being advanced to Senior Naval Lord again in July 1757.

Siege of Louisburg.

Name:  lagos.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  143.8 KB

The Siege of Louisburg 1758

In October 1757 Boscawen was second in command under Admiral Edward Hawke. On 7 February 1758 Boscawen was promoted to Admiral of the blue squadron. and ordered to take a fleet to North America. Once there, he took naval command at the Siege of Louisburg during June and July 1758. On this occasion rather than entrust the land assault to a naval commander, the army was placed under the command of General Jeffrey Amherst and Brigadier James Wolfe. The Siege of Louisburg was one of the key contributors to the capture of French possessions in Canada. Wolfe later would use Louisburg as a staging point for the Siege of Quebec. The capture of the town took away from the French the only effective naval base that they had in Canada, as well as leading to the desrtuction of four of their ships of the line and the capture of another. On his return from North America Boscawen was awarded the Thanks of both Houses of Parliament for his service. The King made Boscawen a Privy Counsellor in recognition for his continued service both as a member of the Board of Admiralty and commander-in-chief.

Battle of Lagos.

Name:  Bataille_de_Lagos_1759.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  211.1 KB

The Battle of Lagos 1759
    by Francis Swaine

In April 1759 Boscawen took command of a fleet bound for the Mediterranean. His aim was to prevent another planned invasion of Britain by the French. With his flag aboard the newly constructed HMS Namur of 90 guns he blockaded Toulon and kept the fleet of Admiral de le Clue-Sabran in port. In order to tempt the French out of port, Boscawen sent three of his ships to bombard the port. The guns of the batteries surrounding the town drove off the British ships. Having sustained damage in the action and due to the constant weathering of ships on blockade duty Boscawen took his fleet to Gibraltar to refit and resupply. On 17 August a frigate that had been ordered to watch the Straits of Gibraltar signalled that the French fleet were in sight. Boscawen took his available ships to sea to engage de la Clue. During the night the British chased the French fleet and five of de la Clue’s ships managed to separate from the fleet and escape. The others were driven in to a bay near Lagos, Portugal. The British overhauled the remaining seven ships of the French fleet and engaged. The French line of battle ship Centaur began a duel with the Namur but was outgunned and struck her colours. The damage aboard the Namur forced Boscawen to shift his flag to the HMS Newark of 80-guns. Whilst transferring between ships, the small boat that Boscawen was in was hit by an enemy cannonball. Boscawen took off his wig and plugged the hole. Two more French ships, the Souverain and Guerrier escaped during the second night and on the morning of the 19 August the British captured the Téméraire and Modeste and drove the French flagship Océan and Redoubtable ashore where they foundered and were set on fire by their crews to stop the British from taking them off and repairing them. The five French ships that avoided the battle made their way to Cadiz where Boscawen ordered Admiral Thomas Broderick to blockade the port.

Final years, death and legacy.

Boscawen returned to England where he was promoted General of Marines in recognition of his service. He was given the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh. Admiral Boscawen returned to sea for the final time and took his station off the west coast of France around Quiberon Bay. After a violent attack of what was later diagnosed as Typhoid fever the Admiral came ashore where, on 10 January 1761, he died at his home in Hatchlands Park in Surrey. His body was taken to St. Michael’s Church, St Michael Penkivel, Cornwall, where he was buried. The monument at the church begins:
    Here lies the Right Honourable
    Edward Boscawen,
    Admiral of the Blue, General of Marines,
    Lord of the Admiralty, and one of his
    Majesty's most Honourable Privy Council.
    His birth, though noble,
    His titles, though illustrious,
    Were but incidental additions to his greatness.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

At Weston super Mare there is The Captain's Cabin.

Name:  a56888cd74ad40eaacd3029727199f69--pub-signs-house-signs.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  12.0 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:19.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There is also ......

Name:  62175512.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  20.0 KB

at Weston Super Mare.

Rob.

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Eileen

There is also an Anchor Inn at Weston Super Mare and I expect that there are many more up and down the coast!

Name:  the-anchor-inn.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  46.2 KB

Eileen

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  CIMG02282.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  140.7 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In Whitby there is, of course, The Endeavour.

Name:  The-Endeavour-Whitby-Pubs-Church-Street-480x320.jpg
Views: 3612
Size:  62.9 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:20.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  $(KGrHqZHJBYE+PEE)TRWBP3kcnCde!~~60_35.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  25.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  CIMG02282.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  140.7 KB

This is the one I intended to post yesterday.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One for today.......
    Name:  f222eb6be4d3f3d35a70e93be123c1a5--brew-pub-pub-signs.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  48.2 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In Hull there is The Sailmakers Arms.

Name:  cfa15584fff8595863af4f21c525a8e2.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  29.9 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 02-25-2020 at 23:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  Fox and Anchor.png
Views: 5700
Size:  603.6 KB

Not quite sure what the Fox has to do with it.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  the-white-bear-a-pub-sign-in-bedale-a-town-in-north-yorkshire-uk-CTPEHJ.jpg
Views: 5180
Size:  172.6 KB

White Bear was a 40-gun ship of the English Tudor navy, launched in 1564. She was repaired in 1585–86 at Woolwich, and recommissioned under Lord Howard of Effingham. In 1588 she took part in the actions against the Spanish Armada, under the command of Lord Edmund Sheffield. She was rebuilt in 1599 as a 57-gun royal ship. The White Bear remained in service until 1627, when she was deemed unserviceable, and was sold out of the navy at Rochester on 12 June 1629.
    The timbers from the White Bear were used to rebuild a burned-down alehouse on the Old Packhorse track running between Halifax and Leeds (now known as The Old White Beare in the village of Norwood Green near Halifax).

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

At Rye in East Sussex there is

Name:  170715_fce0011b.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  101.7 KB

However, The Mermaid is a popular name for a drinking place.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  d415878e6d5bbf776b2c2a080dc5c2a5.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  24.7 KB

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Eileen

We had a grand day out in Scarborough ................. and found one for Neil!

Name:  Newcastle Packet sign.jpg
Views: 16368
Size:  206.7 KB

Name:  Newcastle Inn.jpg
Views: 5214
Size:  221.5 KB

Eileen

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is another Mermaid Inn from Bishopsbourne.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  46.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My offering is.....

Name:  howard-arms-pub-sign-ilmington-warwickshire-england-uk-ap9x67.jpg
Views: 2770
Size:  62.9 KB
    Another Sir Howard of Effingham pub.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In Oakham there is an inn named after a famous fictional sailor. It is called the Admiral Hornblower.

Name:  pub-2-1.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  266.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I never new that Dave. good one.
    Here is another shot of the sign.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 960
Size:  420.4 KB
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For today........

One for Ensign Patch.

Name:  images095FRCGR.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  6.6 KB

Rob.

Landsman
    Belgium

Log Entries
    Name
    Wim

A restaurant near me.

Name:  leSaintMalo.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  129.7 KB

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

http://www.admiralbenbowbeachbar.co.uk/
    This one at chapel st Leonard's on the east coast has a decking area shaped like a ship

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Name:  boatbeach.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  134.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the other side.

Name:  PubFront.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  166.3 KB

They missed a trick. Should that sign not say "Sea dogs welcome on leads"?

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here it is, Rob. The one you have been searching for. In Adelaide, Australia, there is 'The William Bligh' specialising in rum and gin.

Name:  18119453_1313632855359366_7182898034901309708_n-1-e1493004223210.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  52.5 KB