Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

Lightbulb A sturdy way to repair broken ships

Hi all,

Here's a tip you might find useful in the future:

SoG ships are made out of ABS (as Ares kindly informed me). This means acetone can be used to fuse parts together.

The way I did for the mast that snapped right off on my very first game (!) was to dab a cotton bud (q tip) into pure acetone and then stroke a bit the base of the mast and the mast where I wanted the parts to fuse. Then I placed the two bits together, did a little motion to unsure both parts melted together and the repair was done after a couple of minutes.

Beware that acetone does remove paint so if you repair bits with exposed paint, you may have to touch it up :)

The benefit with using that method over using super glue is that the bond will be stronger as you essentially fuse the plastic bits.

Hope this helps!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the tip Olivier.
    Up to now I use superglue then add ratlines and nylon rigging lines to make the mast sturdier and dupport the glue.
    I shall try your method next repair

Ordinary Seaman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Franco

Thanks Oliver,
    It should also be handy for conversion projects.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just what I was thinking Franco. The fusion should give an almost seamless join if done carefully, with no need for filler and the smoothing down process which that entails.
    As luck would have it i have a bottle of plastic weld in my workshop but never thought of testing it on the ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great information.
    Very useful Olivier and well worth some Reputation points to get you started off.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

An easy way to find this is to buy a bottle of MEK modelling glue from your local hobby shop, the following is just one example:

http://www.shop4glue.com/mek-weld-pl...-50ml-55-p.asp

This was one of the repair approaches I suggested when we had the Wave 2 Mast debacle; it is a highly effective repair method, just hold the pieces in place, paint the solvent, hold for a few seconds and voila; eight sets of masts repaired using this method, no failures since.

I will keep in mind for future repairs. Thank you for the advice!

I wonder if ABS pipe glue would work as well? I always have bottles of ABS & PCV glue in my shop.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Great information.
    Very useful Olivier and well worth some Reputation points to get you started off.
    Rob.
    Thanks Admiral!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Just found this thread which is useful as I have a ship to repair.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    Just found this thread which is useful as I have a ship to repair.
    Good luck! As it happens, I re-snapped the mast I repaired. I definitely need gentler fingers!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If it is any help Olivier, I usually drill up the mast and insert piano wire before re-welding the halves together. This gives it extra strength at deck level where it is least flexible.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Great information here and very timely, as I have recently picked up Real Carlos with a broken foremast off Ebay. I just need to pick up a new bit for my pin drill for the reinforcing wire.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Olivier

I was thinking about something along those lines Rob. That makes sense!

I might actually give it a fancy lick of paint while I'm there :)

(edit: I can't form a proper sentence!)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This may be of some service to you, although as I have already stated I have now substituted Piano wire for the paper clip mentioned in the following.

http://sailsofglory.org/content.php?...-2-Mast-Repair

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I even make the hole in the mast deep enough to reach the blob that connects to the sail. That way I ensure that the mast wont snap off at the now hollowed out part where the pin ends. (...again)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  151.0 KB
    Name:  B.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  96.2 KB

Acetone and a Q-tip, and my Protee is on her way to having the correct lateen mizzen! It seems to be working well so far, and stronger than CA glue, since it's effectively cementing the parts together. Next, more masts and paint.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the good tip, Oliver. I am sorry it has taken me so long to notice this thread.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks interesting Dobbs. I did not know that Protee should have a Lateen Mizzen.
    Maybe I could use one that I cut off my latest set of ships.
    Thanks for the info.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Looks interesting Dobbs. I did not know that Protee should have a Lateen Mizzen.
    Maybe I could use one that I cut off my latest set of ships.
    Thanks for the info.
    Rob.
    If you do a Google image search of Artesien 64 you will see a period model with the gaff/lateen hybrid sail. I took the mizzen off of my Leander, which should have a gaff and replaced the Leander's with the mizzen mast from an Amazon (pictures to follow).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will watch your transformation with interest Dobbs.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

This was incredibly helpful info! Thank you. This weekend I’m customizing my first Sails of Glory ship. Should be interesting!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You might find some of these articles of help Chuck.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?6-kit-building

Rob.