Thread: Partial Broadsides

Landsman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    John B

Default Partial Broadsides

When one fires either the forward or rear section of a broadside does one still have to wait for reload to fire any other section?.

John B.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

yes

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Under standard rules... it makes no real-world sense to me other than easier recordkeeping as a "Game Thing," but I've never tried it otherwise.

Might be worth a playtest, just to see if that sheds any light on why it was done... :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I did consider putting my Carronades as the forrard and aft batteries, but then realized that though they could fire every move, it would not prevent the rule stopping the full broadside still being penalized.
    In our games, Sea legs who is an ex artilleryman gets quite vocal on this matter every time it occurs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The only time, as far as I remember, you can only fire continuously if using the continuous fire optional rule, but the fire value is halved