Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next wave of ships

Default Next wave of ships

Anyone noticed the new ships at the Ares Games homepage?

Seems that I get my Bucentaure class ships soon.

Midshipman
    Czech Republic

Log Entries
    Name
    Daniel

Talking

I did, sir Fortunately, I have a new French ship to hunt cargoships of East Indian Company

Name:  Bonhomme Richard.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  80.9 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Gentlemen, you now have one job to do since sales of these are going to have a direct impact on how much credence gives me and by extension this site:

DO NOT MAKE A LIAR OF ME.

:p
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I don't think we have too much to worry about......

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We are all right behind your choices DB. See my post on the other thread.
    This is what the Captains have been crying out for.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hmm I think Ill be getting one or two of this wave :)

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I shall be buying some.

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

The Bucentaure class is indeed an important addition, making smaller SOL actions like Cape Ortegal 1805 possible.

Also, with the 44-50 gun converted merchantmen group, a battle like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Henry is possible. The British 90 should be weaker than the currently available 100's, but the Duc de Bourgogne 80 is one of the last of the pre-Tonnant 80's, with only 18-pounders on the upper deck, so it should be weaker as well. Should cancel each other out.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I don't recall if it was Duc de Bourgogne I saw draughts for, but I do know that at least one pre-Tonnant French 80 looked close enough I'd consider the newer design's sculpt an acceptable fit.

Breaking down the OrBat: (specifically-released ships in bold, similar "stretches" in italic)
    Rate British sculpted British unsculpted French sculpted French unsculpted
    1-2 three-decker London
    3 80-84-gunner Duc de Bourgogne
    3 74-gunner SGN104 Robust, Royal Oak, Bedford Citoyen 74: Conquerant
    one-off 74 Neptune
    3 64-gunner SGN114 America Exeter 64: Europe, Prudent SGN109 Eveille, Jason
    SGN114 Ardent
    (SGN109?) Provence
    4 50-gunner SGN110 Adamant
    5 44-gunner ex-UK Roebuck 44: Romulus
    5 32 frigate SGN103 Iris, Pearl SGN101 Hermione, Gentille
    6 28 post-ship (SGN103?) Enterprise 28: Medea Coventry 28: Guadeloupe
    U 14-gun Fantasque
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Able Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Niek

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I don't recall if it was Duc de Bourgogne I saw draughts for, but I do know that at least one pre-Tonnant French 80 looked close enough I'd consider the newer design's sculpt an acceptable fit.
    Interesting analysis, Diamondback. You basically show that we have 'approximate' models after release 4.

I am actually more concerned about the right ship values. The Tonnant/Bucentaure class in French service (the British Tonnant is another matter) carried a 36-pounder lower and a 24-pounder upper battery. The Duc de Bourgogne had a similar 36-pounder lower battery, but only 18-pounders in her upper battery. Should make a difference.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

A point well worth noting, Niek. I always start with getting the physical model right, we can always massage the numbers as needed and it's a lot easier and cheaper to print new paper than it is to rework an entire sculpt.

Problem is, we don't really have very good stat separation in this game, it's hard to separate a 32/24 Large 74 from a 32/18 Middling, and the latter from a 32/18 Common. My best guess is DdB vs Tonnant statistically would be similar to Bellona vs Temeraire.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Problem is, we don't really have very good stat separation in this game
    DB achieves a level of understatement approaching an Englishman's level of proficiency

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    DB achieves a level of understatement approaching an Englishman's level of proficiency
    It is unwise to unnecessarily and gratuitously insult those one seeks full-time employment with, wouldn't you agree? LOL
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is unwise to unnecessarily and gratuitously insult those one seeks full-time employment with, wouldn't you agree? LOL

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It looks like they are still suffering from the headsails being on the opposite tack from the spanker, like the Leopard and her gang. Nice model, though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pity that, but I realize that they must have been fairly well on in production before we had chance to flag up to Ares the mistakes on the last series.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The downside of handing them a prepackaged release that just needs stats and sculpt? :(

Though we also do have to give them credit for trying to address our concerns about release pacing... To be honest, unless they have Wave 5 already picked it could be a while, because I started "Project Jumpshot" as soon as they told me what had been selected for Wave 3 sculpts, so it was like having two sets in research at once between them and us working in parallel up to a point.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-27-2017 at 06:26.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must admit that the turn round on the next wave astounded me.
    I was expecting about Spring next year.
    I will have to get some pennies together from somewhere PDQ.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I hear that on budget, Rob... between Wave 4, finishing Wave 3, WGS BoB, next WGF... and oh by the way, one of my cop buddies and I are designing and building a prototype PDW/CQBW for his department in cases where sidearms aren't enough but full patrol-rifles are either overkill or attract too much unwanted attention, and half the parts we've specced out are all getting dumped on sale RIGHT NOW at the halfway-between-paydays mark! (AND I just found out that the handguard we selected to build this nasty little beast around is Discontinued, so while I have mine for the prototype we may need to redesign for the final "Official Issue" spec...) Anybody else's wallet having fun out there? Mine is most assuredly not... *quiet laugh*

Yes, I know, I'm whining. Any of you guys seen my cheese tray?

DB, who really needs to get to work on "Jumpshot II" if it's going to work for Wave 6... and who suggests that if we're trying for an encore performance, it might be prudent to draw up a double slate so that if anything from it shows up in Wave 5 we can just promote the next entries on the list
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Simon

When do we get them in our hands?

I am drooling already

is there an advanced order ability through the Anchorage like we did for BoB on the Aerodrome?

Ensign Patch ready to enlist these for games scenarios...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    It looks like they are still suffering from the headsails being on the opposite tack from the spanker, like the Leopard and her gang. Nice model, though.
    Maybe someone in the know could suggest to those in charge that they could use the headsail patterns from Wave 1 or 2 on the new ships to replace the reversed headsails (Before they make a bunch of them)?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Dobbs, at this point the Wave 4 ship has sailed, but I will push them *hard* for Waves 5 and beyond.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ensign Patch View Post
    When do we get them in our hands?

I am drooling already

is there an advanced order ability through the Anchorage like we did for BoB on the Aerodrome?

Ensign Patch ready to enlist these for games scenarios...
    Relax Simon.
    I expect Keith will have them up for pre order well before the due date.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I'll be on board for at least two copies of each.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have just bought my ship mats and plastic sleeves to do all 12 when they are released.
    Nothing like being one jump ahead Paul!
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

Great news!
    I really wellcome the Indiamen and the Spanish frigates. I'm definitelly getting at least one Spanish Mahonesa Class Frigates, and two East Indiamen.
    I'll probably guy a Bucentaure-class, but I'm not sure about the 64-guns British Ships-of-the-Line

Now I'm missing the Pirate ships! I was hopping for a Brigantine ... will we ever have Pirate ships?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Anything below 28m long, around 14 guns, is at present time and scale outside manufacturing capability for Ares. I asked when I was gathering criteria for "Jumpshot."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mack

Since the Ardent class is making an appearance, would it the stuff of a fever dream fantasy to hope for an Indefatigable somewhere in the future?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Indefatigable might well be a suggestion for a future "special" ship.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That would certainly put the icing on the cake as far as my British Fleet is concerned Dave.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The problem is Indefatigable would have to be a unique sculpt; my memory could be failing me but I don't recall any other British 64-gun razees. Plenty of 74's, but they'd need to be reworked from SGN104 and be rather bigger.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Magnanime and Anson

Anyway, if being an individual ship was a blocker wed never get Santissima Trinidad :)
    Last edited by David Manley; 05-06-2017 at 22:17.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The rub is, they're more up for it as an SP--we'll almost certainly never see a Mainline Release of Razee 64's, so I'm inclined to propose co-bundling the full log-sets for Anson and Magnanime into the proposed Indefatigable Special Pack.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That does it for me DB. Three ships are always better than one.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was kind of the idea.....

Special pack, sold as Indefatigable with Captain cards to reflect Pellew. Special bonus - also include cards t allow the ship to be used as the other two.

So a Special pack with a longer "reach" than others.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

But will it happen? We been waiting a while for the Santissima, before even the Spanish temeraires released.
    I hope Ares take up the suggestion as it sounds like a plan to me and
    I would certainly purchase three so as to have all three named ships and Im pretty sure I would not be alone in this.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 05-07-2017 at 16:21.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I would be quietly hopeful.......

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I am looking forward to getting at least one of each of this wave, I have to save for WGF, X-Wing, Imperial Assault too! - so first come, first served!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One quick question for you Richard.
    Do you intend to add separate solo movement charts for the eighties, sixty fours, and Fifties?
    Or will these ships be near enough to use the 74 Chart? which is what I am doing at the present.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    One quick question for you Richard.
    Do you intend to add separate solo movement charts for the eighties, sixty fours, and Fifties?
    Or will these ships be near enough to use the 74 Chart? which is what I am doing at the present.
    Rob.
    I will have to look at the charts, but envision the 74 chart will work well enough. I found in one game I used the 74 chart for frigates and never noticed!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It certainly seems to have worked fine for the three games that I have played so far with the 60s, and the Frigate movement works equally well for the 50s. So I would agree that we probably do not need to worry overmuch.
    Rob.

Somehow the gunport designs changed...

Here are the pictures of Commerce de Bordeaux and Bucentaure.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ooooooohhhhh looking at the base positioning, the Bucentaure is smaller than the Commerse........ dejavu here
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 05-10-2017 at 08:37.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Oh, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU[bleep] Here we go again...

Query out to RdM, waiting for reply.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Sorreeee but by my reconing, using the reference books I have, Bucentaur should be around 3m longer which is 3mm longer than the Commerse, I could handle being the same size, but looking at the picture of both models together Bucentaure is visibly shorter.
    Dont think its my eyes, but will happily be proved incorrect here.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That could well be the end of my eighties dream!
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, also bear in mind those photos are not a direct comparison--angles are different, but I agree Bucentaure does appear underlength.

ARE YOU 1/1200-OR-BUST TWITS OUT THERE FINALLY HAPPY NOW THAT YOU'VE F***ED THINGS UP FOR THE REST OF US?!\

Ares had one job. ONE. JOB! And I specifically CAUTIONED them to check sculpt lengths against "Expected Values"... We are SO screwed. It was fun while it lasted, guys, but it's looking like time to start keepin' one hand on the Loud Handle...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Yes understand about angles etc DB, I sincerely hope Im wrong here and it is a matter of angles, but look at the bow of both models, then the stern, then compare the forward red firing arc on both and where the model sits. Looks plainly smaller to me.
    Cant say anything about the rest of the wave but I know the 80 gunners should be at least the same size as the Temeraire models at this scale if they following the same scale.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, even with the different angles I agree--Bucentaure distinctly has a problem, and I'm annoyed now because this was *my* project.

You guys lose a tabletop toy, I lose a tangible item I could have shown to prospective employers/clients and say "I helped make THIS happen." :(

If the rest of the wave's like this...
    https://youtu.be/vXLLH1eSOZE?t=71
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'd say it's a win for Ares, 'cause now I'm going to have to buy 2 Temeraires to follow in Jonas' footsteps building a Tonnant!