Thread: Ships complement

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Default Ships complement

Ok, I apologize if this is somewhere on the site and I just missed it during my searches. I was curious how many lieutenants and midshipmen were afforded to each class of ship? Thanks in advance.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In the British service it was a bit of a movable feast Thomas, as they were often undermanned.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Oh, I am sure they were under manned. I may be mistaken but I thought the Navy board set the numbers based on class? 1st rates were afforded 6 Lt's and so on. Whether or not those positions were filled is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    Oh, I am sure they were under manned. I may be mistaken but I thought the Navy board set the numbers based on class? 1st rates were afforded 6 Lt's and so on. Whether or not those positions were filled is another story.
    That's correct and I believe flagships had additional officers. Can't put my finger on an online source atm. Brian Lavery's "Nelson's Navy, Revised and Updated: The Ships, Men, and Organization, 1793-1815" has a lot of logistical information. I don't have it handy right now but I know he goes into great detail on the ships complement of a 74. A great reference about $40-50 on Amazon.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    I just read in Osprey Books "British Napoleonic Ship of the Line" that the number of officers was based on the ship's rate and the numbers were standardized for determining payrolls. What they were I don't know.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have just come across this in Osprey's British Frigate vs French Frigate.

"A Frigate was run by four to six commissioned officers, and eight warrant officers. They were assisted by midshipmen- junior warrant officers who were officers in training. A frigate might carry as many as six midshipmen."

Presumably the size of frigate determined to some extent the number of Officers, hence the parameters given.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.