Thread: Requesting permission to come aboard, Sir!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Default Requesting permission to come aboard, Sir!

Thanks for adding me to your community! I have been scanning through the various sections of the web page and I am impressed by the depth and amount of information you have available on the site.

I am a landlubber from Boise, Idaho who grew up paddling around on mountain lakes and I've been rafting on some of the best white water in the US. I've even swam through several Class V rapids as part of a swift water rescue course. If you count cruise ships, I've been to sea several times including a couple of trips in the Caribbean, one along the west coast of Mexico and another to Alaska through the inland passage. One of the highlights of my life has been to do the tour on the U.S.S. Constitution in Boston Harbor. It was awesome to walk her famous decks although I have to admit that they must have been shorter men back in those days, as I constantly hit my head on the beams above the gun deck! And those beds in the officers' berths were so short!

I am new to Sails of Glory, having picked up the basic game with 4 ships about 10 days ago. I have since added the Constitution and the Montagne to my fleet. I have been interested in the Age of Sail since the days of my youth when I got Milton Bradley's "Broadsides" for a birthday present. I have spent many enjoyable hours with Avalon Hill's "Wooden Ships & Iron Men". I love the rich detail in "Sails of Glory" that I've seen in the rule book thus far and I'm excited to get playing. I have a couple of friends who participated in the Kickstarter and I'm working with them to show me the basics at our local game store.

If I had been living during the Napoleonic Wars, I likely wouldn't have been a sailor as my ancestry is German with my father's side coming from the Wurttemburg area and my mother's side from Pomerania along the Baltic Coast in what was Prussia, but is now Poland. Knowing my luck, I would have been one of the 15,000 troops the Kingdom of Wurttemburg was required to raise for Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812: only 150 survived the war to come home! Actually, my direct ancestors had already left Germany under Catherine the Great's emigration offer to finance Germans to settle in her newly won lands along the Black Sea in southern Russia (now the Ukraine). My folks were already in Russia by 1811, but it is highly likely that some of their people who stayed behind in Germany wound up on that fateful journey.

Thanks again for letting me join your group!

Dick

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On behalf of the Anchorage and its inhabitants welcome to our world of Ships and sailing Dick.
    I am glad that you have found the site interesting and am sure that there are lots more gems yet to be discovered amongst the coves and inlets of the site.
    I am sure that your shipmates will be along to welcome you at the end of their watch.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Welcome from Texas!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Welcome to anchorage, Dick.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Richard, from here 'across The Pond'.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Dick, from Bristol UK

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Welcome aboard from the mossy and wet side of the Cascades!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

A little bit late, but welcome on board, Richard.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

A very belated welcome from the north of England home of Collingwood, Richard. Keep a weather eye out for Origins in Ohio. Some great SoG games put on there.

Neil