Thread: Found a New Trafalgar Documentary on Amazon

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Default Found a New Trafalgar Documentary on Amazon

For those of you that have Amazon Prime TV I found this a number of weeks ago, but only got around to watching it in recent weeks. It's title, of course, is "Trafalgar: The Greatest Naval Battle in History", it's produced by XIVETV. Different from other documentaries on the subject as it provides a thorough retelling of the events leading up to and through the battle from the French perspective, as seen through the eyes of the French Admiral Villeneuve. It uses a docu-drama process combining a blend of real settings, costumed actors, and virtual images to present the whole story. Even the four talking heads (historians providing some commentary) are filmed in the virtual setting of the Admiral's Cabin aboard ship.

It opens with the Admiral returning back to France following his six month imprisonment as a guest of the British Naval authorities after his surrender, follows the course of events leading up to the Battle of Trafalgar, including the political intrigue between Napoleon and French Naval Authorities, some of the detailed action of the battle, and ends with the Admiral's suicide in a French Rooming House. Found it interesting how a man of such stature committed suicide by stabbing himself to death with what appeared to be a naval dagger!

Having seen other documentaries on Trafalgar that have been produced from the British perspective, or the blending of the two sides, it was good to get a more complete picture wholly from the French perspective. Some of you may have seen this already, but if you haven't and have Amazon Prime TV search this video out and give a watch! Of course be sure to have a dram or two of port, rum, or brandy to sip on while you watch! It's really well done, and will add to your host of knowledge on this historically epic battle! Enjoy!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Just watched it yesterday. For me it was informative, I was unaware of the failed grand scheme to have the French and Spanish fleets combine in the Caribbean and then head directly to the English Channel to enable the invasion. Not surprised they delayed until it was too late.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thanks for the gen, I'll give it a try today

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is very opportune thanks Paul as I am just finishing David Howarth's book on Trafalgar.
    I will post a book review in a day or so.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Watched this today, totally different from the French perspective, worth a watch to pitch against your current knowledge of the battle but is bias to the French and why not I ask