Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default An interesting situation.

From this afternoon's game.
    Sealegs will write up the full action later.

Name:  IMG_4039.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  162.0 KB
    Eveille has struck to HMS Argonaut.

Argonaut after some altercation with Artesien strikes to her.

HMS Leopard now silences Artesien at long range. Abandoning ship what is left of Artesien's crew attempt to escape with the captured Argonaut, only to be boarded in turn by Leopard's crew who outnumber them 7 to one.

Name:  IMG_4041.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  188.7 KB

Thus the little Leopard ends up with three prizes, one of them British.
    It was a damned close run thing.
    If Argonaut had not done a runner, Leopard would have run aground in the next move.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Congratulations to the captain of the Leopard. If that had been a real historical battle, he would have earned a huge sum in 'prize money'.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

for once the bloody Island made the game more interesting, instead of just getting in the way, but a lot of that was down to Andy's attitude of trying to use any way he can to outfox me.
    We have been gaming together for over 30 years now, so he knows my moves pretty well.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Congratulations to the captain of the Leopard. If that had been a real historical battle, he would have earned a huge sum in 'prize money'.
    But you didn't get prize money for recaptures in the same battle.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Didn't the Portland perform miracles last month as well?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you are revering to the Nation vs Nation AAR last month, it was the Leander which did the same sort of hit and run Hugh.

I think I am starting to see a pattern developing. The 50s and 60s can absorb a bit more stick than a Frigate, but are quite nippy so as long as they keep out of trouble and only get plastered once they can cause a lot of damage at the end of a battle, whereas if a frigate gets plastered that's it for any firepower even if it survives.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    If you are revering to the Nation vs Nation AAR last month, it was the Leander which did the same sort of hit and run Hugh.

I think I am starting to see a pattern developing. The 50s and 60s can absorb a bit more stick than a Frigate, but are quite nippy so as long as they keep out of trouble and only get plastered once they can cause a lot of damage at the end of a battle, whereas if a frigate gets plastered that's it for any firepower even if it survives.
    Rob.
    Yes, you seem to have found a nice role for the 4ths and small 3rds. 50 guns is nothing to be laughed at! It's why I avoid direct contact with them in the letters campaign in my Amazon. I don't really even have a huge edge with maneuverability, and the Portlands ability to absorb hits far outweighs an amazons. One day I'll capture one and have it as my flag ship, but it will have to be a battle of my choosing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Maybe you need a scapegoat Hugh?
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Maybe you need a scapegoat Hugh?
    Rob.
    A sacrificial goat that I can put my sins on and the send out into the wilderness? I'm not sure I see how it would help...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Draw your enemy into a disadvantageous situation by holding out a prize that they would find hard to ignore.
    Then once they were in a glitch pop out and rake them with double shot.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Sounds like a good idea. I'll formulate a plan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll formulate a plan.
    I neglected to say the rake should preferably be up their ars ....derriere.
    Rob.