Thread: Algesiras

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default Algesiras

The Algesiras was a French Temeraire class 74 ship of the line.
    The only picture in colour I have found shows her to have yellowish hull and black painted gunwales.
    So using either 201a or 201b by simply changing the flag you have the Alesiras.

Algesiras fought at Trafalgar where she was captured by the RN, after the storm in the wake of the battle the French crew recaptured her from the British and sailed her into Cadiz where she remained until 1808 when the Spanish captured her when Spain rose up against the French. She remained in the Spanish navy until broken up in 1826

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fren...gésiras_(1804)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's another ship I will need to clone for Trafalgar then Chris.
    Thanks! I think?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Chris!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is a picture of a 1:48 scale model of the Algesiras, which can be seen in the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich.

Name:  large.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  66.2 KB

The caption with it reads:

Scale: 1:48. A contemporary half block model of the ‘Algesiras’ (1804), a French 74-gun two-decker third-rate ship of the line. Built in ‘bread and butter’ fashion, the half model is mounted on a painted backboard on which is inscribed ‘Algesiras’. Built in 1804 this two-decker measured 181 feet along the gun deck by 48 feet in the beam. The ‘Algesiras’ was captured at the Battle of Trafalgar by the ‘Tonnant’ but recaptured the next day. In 1808, she was seized by Spanish insurgents at Cadiz and a year later was at Portsmouth, where the lines were taken off to produce a draught from which this model is based. This is confirmed by the solid bulwarks fitted to the quarter- and poop decks on the model, a feature that was introduced to all ships in the early 19th century. The ‘Algesiras’ was eventually broken up at Cadiz in 1826.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice looking model Dave.
    I wonder what her paint scheme was when she was at Trafalgar?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looks like another Tem needed for this one, I like that scheme so hopefully this will be accurate enough

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Nice looking model Dave.
    I wonder what her paint scheme was when she was at Trafalgar?
    Rob.
    Finding pictures of old ships is difficult, Rob, and even then how can we know how accurate they are?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think that the best we can hope for, are Architects models sus because of changes made by the Admiralty or shipyard at a later date. Contemporary Paintings by artists, and then models by seamen who served in the ship. Undoubtedly they both would try to get accuracy because they could be criticized by their peers if they made an error. That, however, is about the best for which we can hope, unless someone invents a time machine.
    The up side is that if we do our research fully nobody else can tell us our interpretation is wrong, although they may well try to do so.
    Keep on painting.
    Rob.