Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Scratch Built 1/1200 USS Chesapeake 38 Gun Frigate

  1. #1
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    1,343
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default Scratch Built 1/1200 USS Chesapeake 38 Gun Frigate

    Hello gentlemen, it has been a while since I logged onto the site. Not for lack of trying though. I normally use my Android but for some reason I cannot log on anymore with it. I can enter my name and password and get the Welcome banner, and then it reverts back to the sign-in screen. I am on a computer now and had no trouble at all.

    Here is one of the things I have been up to.

    The USS Chesapeake is a ship no one seems to manufacture for some reason. Its famous foe HMS Shannon is easy to find, but not Chesapeake. So I decided to build my own.

    My inspiration painting:

    Name:  USSChesapeake.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  35.8 KB

    The plans (which in error are 4 feet longer than the actual ship, didn't discover it until I was well into the build)

    Name:  20161228_154503.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  26.5 KB

    Decks cut out

    Name:  20161228_164128.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  40.4 KB

    Plan profiles and stern attached

    Name:  20161228_181904.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  35.3 KB

    Painted, skid beam and stern boats

    Name:  20170114_162445.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  18.5 KB

    Sails traced out

    Name:  20170114_162459.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  34.1 KB

    Masts made

    Name:  20170115_150445.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  36.8 KB

    Quarter davits and boats attached

    Name:  20170116_142914.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  37.9 KB

    How it turned out

    Name:  20170118_112837.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  20170118_112849.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  44.6 KB
    Name:  20170118_113106.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  43.2 KB

    The full build is posted on my blog http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...apeake-38.html

    I have scratch built four vessels so far: the Leopard 50-gun, Tonnant 80-gun, Chesapeake, and a Halifax schooner that was only 9/16" long. I don't know any reason this method could not be used to build 1/1000 scale ships for Sails of Glory. The biggest hurdle for me would be trying to duplicate the SOG bases.

    I have another post I want to make about card terrain buildings.

    Cheers everyone.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 01-19-2017 at 21:51. Reason: Added photo

  2. #2
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    TX
    Log Entries
    806
    Blog Entries
    1
    Name
    Hugh

    Default

    Very nice work! You have a lot of talent.

  3. #3
    Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Log Entries
    4,549
    Name
    Jim

    Default

    Now that is an amazing bit of work Vol!!! Rep on the way. Thanks for sharing and dropping by to do so.

    I'm tempted to steal Rory's line, "I hate you, but in a good way". I guess I just did?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  4. #4
    Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    21,323
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post

    Here is one of the things I have been up to.

    The USS Chesapeake is a ship no one seems to manufacture for some reason. Its famous foe HMS Shannon is easy to find, but not Chesapeake. So I decided to build my own.

    My inspiration painting:

    Name:  20161228_154503.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  26.5 KB

    Decks cut out

    Name:  20161228_164128.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  40.4 KB

    Plan profiles and stern attached

    How it turned out

    Name:  20170118_112837.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  20170118_112849.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  44.6 KB
    Name:  20170118_113106.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  43.2 KB


    I don't know any reason this method could not be used to build 1/1000 scale ships for Sails of Glory. The biggest hurdle for me would be trying to duplicate the SOG bases.

    I have another post I want to make about card terrain buildings.

    Cheers everyone.
    Hi Vol.
    I have copied the parts of your post which I found most interesting from my viewpoint.
    I have used the same method with planbs when building 1:1200 scale modern warships but never even thought of transferring the skill over until you pointed it out here.

    Secondly your completed model does you proud.

    Thirdly, I have considered the base question, and felt that plasticard is the answer. A Base the size of the Ares ones with four walls the height of the card plus plastic insert. An acrylic insert. Drill through to fit the ship to the base. Paint the base blue and Bob's your Aunty. If you so wished you could even angle the sides of the base slightly during construction.

    Oh! and congrats on your 100 points Rep medal.


    Looks like drinks are on you my boy.

    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-20-2017 at 12:56.

  5. #5
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    1,343
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi Vol.
    I have copied the parts of your post which I found most interesting from my viewpoint.
    I have used the same method with planbs when building 1:1200 scale modern warships but never even thought of transferring the skill over until you pointed it out here.

    Secondly your completed model does you proud.

    Thirdly, I have considered the base question, and felt that plasticard is the answer. A Base the size of the Ares ones with four walls the height of the card plus plastic insert. An acrylic insert. Drill through to fit the ship to the base. Paint the base blue and Bob's your Aunty. If you so wished you could even angle the sides of the base slightly during construction.

    Oh! and congrats on your 100 points Rep medal.


    Looks like drinks are on you my boy.

    Rob.
    Thanks Rob, good ideas. I will add to it by suggesting that the post be mounted on the base and the hole be drilled into the bottom of the ship's hull. That way the ship could be removed from the SOG base and used to play other rules. Always something I disliked about the Aries models having the post on the bottom of the ship.

  6. #6
    Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    21,323
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    Fair comment about the pegs Vol.
    I always get frustrated when ships are in my harbour up against the quayside without being able to stand upright without the base. It just spoils the scene.
    Rob.

  7. #7

    Default

    As I said in other forums ... great work Vol!

  8. #8
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    1,343
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Thanks Julian

  9. #9
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    1,343
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Now that is an amazing bit of work Vol!!! Rep on the way. Thanks for sharing and dropping by to do so.

    I'm tempted to steal Rory's line, "I hate you, but in a good way". I guess I just did?
    Jim, did you have your cataract surgery yet? How did it turn out?

  10. #10
    Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Glos
    Log Entries
    2,170
    Name
    Chris

    Default

    Now that is a great model, well done .
    For bases I have been toying with getting some mdf cut to size, there are a number of companies that sell movement trays in mdf so one should be able to cut one to size.
    I already got a couple done for some merchantmen, but I didnt realize the lip around the base was as big as it turned out so the base look bigger although the inside dimensions are correct.
    Maybe that is worth a look

  11. #11
    Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Log Entries
    4,549
    Name
    Jim

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jim, did you have your cataract surgery yet? How did it turn out?
    Scheduled for March 8th and 15th. Everyone I talk to tells me the procedure is a snap, but I'm more concerned about the restrictions on physical activities for a minimum of 3 weeks. Added to that is the fact that I'll still have to wear glasses or contacts as my eyes are so poor. That doesn't bode well for how I prefer to model and craft, which is very close to the items I'm working on?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

  12. #12
    Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Notts
    Log Entries
    21,323
    Blog Entries
    22
    Name
    Rob

    Default

    I am so sorry to hear this Jim.
    I also have to paint and model at neat point blank range, and also fear what may happen in the future.
    However, opticians are very innovative these days, and I'm sure that if you explain your needs they will provide you with an answer.
    Nil desperandum.
    Rob.

  13. #13
    1st Lieutenant
    United States

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Log Entries
    1,343
    Blog Entries
    2
    Name
    Vol

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Scheduled for March 8th and 15th. Everyone I talk to tells me the procedure is a snap, but I'm more concerned about the restrictions on physical activities for a minimum of 3 weeks. Added to that is the fact that I'll still have to wear glasses or contacts as my eyes are so poor. That doesn't bode well for how I prefer to model and craft, which is very close to the items I'm working on?
    We must all have similar fears. My eyes are getting worse too. It would be the awful to have 3 weeks down time and not be able to take advantage of it modeling in the shipyard. Best of luck next month Jim.
    Vol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •