Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AWARDING REP.

After The Lord High Admiral Keith has stepped in to save the day, it should be a lot easier for you all to distribute Rep for worthy Posts etc.
    As Julian has reminded me, it is now also time to look back at posts you would have repped and give your shipmates a stirring start to the New Year.
    Bligh.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Good news! I never liked the old system, now i can rep people as they deserve.

I like it, it works like a charm. I am off to send some love!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm all for rewarding rep when it's deserved, but I hope the loosening of the gates isn't going to create a flood of rep just given on a whim?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The problem was Jim that we were Rep tied. With only a few people giving and getting rep, there was no one left to spread it around to unless you just gave out rep to any old person just to get your rep untied so that you could award it to a deserving case. The lesser of two evils was for Keith to relax the number you had to give before it could be re awarded, so no harm done. It simply brings us into line with the Drome where so many people give rep to so many others the problem very seldom occurs.

Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Three cheers..huzzah. huzzah. Huzzah.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very good.

I think it is a great adaption to a lesser number of active posters here. The game has lost it's novelty and now it's us die hards left.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We are getting a steady trickle of new members still Jonas.

I will check the stats in a minute and add on to this thread.
    However, some of them do not post and just lurk.
    I am more concerned about the ones who have put in good long service and seem to drift off.
    I have tried injecting a bit more levity into some threads, and posting serious historical bits, but apart from as you say quite rightly. we diehards, almost no one else takes up the baton to answer these. Nevertheless
    We must not get disheartened, because what we have is good. If anyone can come up with ides for increasing our readership, and even more important our participationship, please let me know your thoughts.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting results Jonas.
    Since I took over as Secretary in June there have been 95 new shipmates, only 26 of whom have made a posting.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The problem was Jim that we were Rep tied. With only a few people giving and getting rep, there was no one left to spread it around to unless you just gave out rep to any old person just to get your rep untied so that you could award it to a deserving case. The lesser of two evils was for Keith to relax the number you had to give before it could be re awarded, so no harm done. It simply brings us into line with the Drome where so many people give rep to so many others the problem very seldom occurs.

Rob.
    I understand and with so few of us 'diehards' left giving out rep was increasingly difficult. I just don't wish to see rep being tossed out without purpose and value.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    We are getting a steady trickle of new members still Jonas.

I will check the stats in a minute and add on to this thread.
    However, some of them do not post and just lurk.
    I am more concerned about the ones who have put in good long service and seem to drift off.
    I have tried injecting a bit more levity into some threads, and posting serious historical bits, but apart from as you say quite rightly. we diehards, almost no one else takes up the baton to answer these. Nevertheless
    We must not get disheartened, because what we have is good. If anyone can come up with ides for increasing our readership, and even more important our participationship, please let me know your thoughts.

Rob.
    I do try to point folks from the BoardGame Geek SoG forums this way on occasion. I've seen other members here do the same. I don't post often on The Miniatures Page as they don't appear to be big fans of SoG?

A contest might increase activity, but having those creates problems for the organizers; issues involving logistics for prize creation and distribution being a major roadblock?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I do try to point folks from the BoardGame Geek SoG forums this way on occasion. I've seen other members here do the same. I don't post often on The Miniatures Page as they don't appear to be big fans of SoG?

A contest might increase activity, but having those creates problems for the organizers; issues involving logistics for prize creation and distribution being a major roadblock?
    Thanks for putting the word out there Jim.
    I like your idea for a contest. We would need to get Keith to oversee it for us.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I understand and with so few of us 'diehards' left giving out rep was increasingly difficult. I just don't wish to see rep being tossed out without purpose and value.
    I don't think that will happen Jim. The flow on the Drome is much more free with so many members, but the system has only been abused once in seven years. If we find the system is being overused we can always restrain the mermber from using his rep gun so readily.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I'm glad this has been changed, I much prefer the current system. It just happens that a lot of the best posts come from a small section of the community. Now I can rep them as they deserve rather than reppjng undeserving posts just so I can rep Bligh, for example.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

This is the only internet thing of this sort I do. What is rep? If I knew, and knew how to use it, I would.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

The sherifs star at the bottom left of the window.mif you click on it you can give people a reputation point for good work or anything you consider worthy of a merit.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  88.0 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Relaxing the restrictions is good news.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Thank you for working on this Rob. We have been REP tied for too long.