Thread: Interesting ship from a future time

Default Interesting ship from a future time

I ran into this and thought I would share. While it is not from our period, it is very interesting to see.

Enjoy!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/take-a...&vndid=5396235

I bet there are a lot of examples from the US and U.K., but I think it is unusual from Japan.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think the nearest thing we have got to this is the Victorian HMS Warrior, but no doubt Dave Manley has the SP on all such ships.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Wikipedia has this list of Museum Ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

The USS Texas is right next to wher I live. I've been meaning to get on her for years and still haven't gotten around to it.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    The USS Texas is right next to where I live. I've been meaning to get on her for years and still haven't gotten around to it.
    Better hurry, she's suffering from a pretty nasty leak where the ship's side has corroded through (actually better not as the ship is closed to visitors whilst they try to sort out the problem)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I think the nearest thing we have got to this is the Victorian HMS Warrior, but no doubt Dave Manley has the SP on all such ships.
    Rob.
    Actually HMS Caroline in Belfast is closer in age.

We have a fair few number of preserved museum ships, but nowhere near the scale of the US. And there are many lovely examples around the world that are ripe for a naval geek like me to try and seek out when on visits abroad

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Kangaroo View Post
    I ran into this and thought I would share. While it is not from our period, it is very interesting to see.

Enjoy!
    Damn, didn't know that.

I was in Japan for two weeks in September.

We spent a whole day in the nearby town of Kamakura.

Thank you for the link.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Wikipedia has this list of Museum Ships: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships
    Thanks very much for the link Dave.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

A personal obscure favorite of mine, which I would love to see someday is the Huascar. She is the smaller sister of the ill fated HMS Captain. She still exists as a museum ship in Chile.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Better hurry, she's suffering from a pretty nasty leak where the ship's side has corroded through (actually better not as the ship is closed to visitors whilst they try to sort out the problem)
    Oh no! I hope it gets fixed, I went on a destroyer and an old sub down in sea wolf park in Galveston. They were pretty incredible.
    USS cavalla and USS Stewart.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    A personal obscure favorite of mine, which I would love to see someday is the Huascar. She is the smaller sister of the ill fated HMS Captain. She still exists as a museum ship in Chile.
    Any idea of the history of how she ended up there Dobb?
    Somthing to do with the wars of independence from Spain I suspect.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

As I've mentioned in previous posts if you're ever in Manitowoc, Wisconsin you might want to stop off here and visit the USS Cobia.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/

Or take the virtual tour here.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/the.../virtual-tour/
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Any idea of the history of how she ended up there Dobb?
    Somthing to do with the wars of independence from Spain I suspect.
    Rob.
    She was built in England for the Peruvean Navy in 1865, arriving there just too late for action in the Chinca Wars (Peru was independent from Spain by this stage, Chile, Bolivia and Peru allied against a Spanish force that entered the Pacific in 1866). She fought in the Peruvean Civil War, facing off against HMS Shah and Amethyst which were pursuing her due to her attacks on neutral shipping, and then in the 1879 war between Chile and Peru (in which Bolivia lost its coastline to Chile and became landlocked). It was on her decks that the Chilean naval hero Capitan Arturo Prat was killed leading a boarding action, and later in the war she was shot to a standstill by the Chilean ironclads Cochrane and Blanco Encalada and captured, after which she served in the Chilean navy and was eventually preserved as a memorial and museum ship. I was lucky enough to spend some time on her in 1994 when I was working in the Chilean naval base at Tulcahuano during the recovery and repair of HMS Brazen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    The USS Texas is right next to wher I live. I've been meaning to get on her for years and still haven't gotten around to it.
    A game convention, Texas Broadside, is held on her each year in October. A great time to visit the ship and get in some gaming. You can even bunk on her overnight during the event.

http://www.txbroadside.com/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the extra background information on this ship Dave.
    It falls just outside my historical parameter then.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I want a 1:1 replica of an Eads ironclad; but having finally seen USS _Cairo_ in person, I've had to revise my cost estimates for the project upward considerably.... :)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I want a 1:1 replica of an Eads ironclad; but having finally seen USS _Cairo_ in person, I've had to revise my cost estimates for the project upward considerably.... :)
    Pook's Turtles, yeah! I have always thought they were a cool solution for ironclads on the Mississippi. They are strangely similiar to Robert Fulton's "Demologos", which is almost appropriate for SoG. In fact, I've been thinking about making a mini of it.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I had not come across this Dobbs, but now that I have seen it consider that it would be a great addition to our collection.

Name:  Demologos.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  14.5 KB

Certainly it would attract a few people to our displays if it was placed in some harbour to defend it.
    With a little stretching of history it could just as easily appear in some French seaport.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Pook's Turtles, yeah! I have always thought they were a cool solution for ironclads on the Mississippi. They are strangely similiar to Robert Fulton's "Demologos", which is almost appropriate for SoG. In fact, I've been thinking about making a mini of it.
    Well, more they were a solution to "how does one build an armored ship which isn't going to wedge itself on every mudbank between Cincinnati and New Orleans". IMSMC: At least one of the Eads Ironclads started life as a snag boat.

(Reminds: I need to look up how hard it would have been for the Rebels to build 3-5 _Albemarle_-class ironclads for hampton Roads, instead of that PoS _Virginia_.)

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Well, more they were a solution to "how does one build an armored ship which isn't going to wedge itself on every mudbank between Cincinnati and New Orleans". IMSMC: At least one of the Eads Ironclads started life as a snag boat.

(Reminds: I need to look up how hard it would have been for the Rebels to build 3-5 _Albemarle_-class ironclads for hampton Roads, instead of that PoS _Virginia_.)
    That's true, it's almost like the Union cheated when they rook out the best ironclad with a spar torpedo. But in the Virginia's defense, she is the only CSS ironclad to go several rounds with a monitor and not surrender.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

That's true, it's almost like the Union cheated when they rook out the best ironclad with a spar torpedo.
    "If it's stupid and it works...."

It didn't help that Lt. Cushing was on a "mission from God" -- one of his friends was captain of USS _Miami_, and was killed fighting _Albemarle_ (apparently an explosive shell bounced off the Rebel's armor, landed back on _Miami's deck, *then* blew).

But in the Virginia's defense, she is the only CSS ironclad to go several rounds with a monitor and not surrender.
    There's some question as to whether _Monitor_ was "pulling its punches"; something about running half-size powder charges through the cannons to avoid possible failures; later testing showed a full-powder charge would have easily penetrated _Virginia_'s armor.

Whatever the case: The South was Landser -- and that doomed them to lose any proper war.