Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Abukir - Battle of the Nile scenario for Cons

Rob, Chris - this is what I modest ask to organize for the Doncaster Abukir event.

7 x 3rd rate SoLs of the RN (HMS Vaguard, HMS Goliath, HMS Zealous, etc...)
    1 x 4th rate of the RN HMS Leander

2 x Belona class 3rd rate of the French Navy if possible (or two Temeraires)
    5 x Temeraire class 3rd rate Sols of the French Navy
    1 x 1st rate of the French Navy, the Orient

For the French ships, only the miniatures, are needed - no game boards or movement decks

Some gunpowder smoke tokens

3 x gaming mats (or a blue surface in that size), a double set of damage tokens, rulers, etc...

Rob is so friendly to care for the standart terrain tiles.

I care for the charts to manage the French line, little name signs for the ships, a special half and quarter damage ruler, a Frech admiral's hat, a tricolore banderole and a toilet brush.

Thanks in advance!

Sven

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will sort this out with Chris and Simon when I see them on Saturday Sven.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I can supply all, rigged and ready for action, except HMS Leander, but I do have HMS Leopard instead.
    Plus can supply smoke markers, Admirals hat and a bottle of Port

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    That will leave me more room for other essentials.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Thank you both.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ill post the names ships later today but I do have Orient, Timoleon, Genereux for the French and HmS Bellerophon for the Brits plus a few more named vessels for Aboukir

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have Leander if we want to be pedantic about the actual model Chris, otherwise do you just want its card?
    Rob.

The ship's names do not need to fit 100%. I have those little signs to identify them on the table and the gameboards.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Bien fait mon brave capitan de Brueys.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Comming late into the thread there are a few points I would make (Sorry if they have been made before)
    1/ Forget about the Island gun battery in the battle it did next to nothing.
    2/ In the "TimeLife" book The fighting Sail it does state that French inland gun ports were blocked up with all sorts of stuff. The other major point I would make is that on the French Orient the crew had been painting her that afternoon so there were still bucket of paint on deck making her more vunrable to fire.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ok i have enough ships to fillout both fleets

Names wise I have the following although Hms Orion and Leander have not yet been rigged, been in a trough with the ships as been painting my 7year war armies, hoping this weekend will fire me up again

Anyway the named ships I have

HMS Goliath
    HMS Zealous
    HMS Orion
    HMS Audacious
    HMS Defence
    HMS Bellerophon
    HMS Leander

Aquilon
    Orient
    Généreux
    Timoléon

I also have Le Berwick and Le Swiftsure so that fills the two Bellona class requested
    Pity the new ships are not out as I intend getting Tonnant and William Tell for my French

Perfect, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Killick View Post
    1/ Forget about the Island gun battery in the battle it did next to nothing.
    2/ In the "TimeLife" book The fighting Sail it does state that French inland gun ports were blocked up with all sorts of stuff. The other major point I would make is that on the French Orient the crew had been painting her that afternoon so there were still bucket of paint on deck making her more vunrable to fire.
    It's a weak battery, if you sail normal, you do not get in range, otherwise a broadside or two will silence it.

Only the first two French ships have problems with their landward gunports.

Special damage is ignored, except for the Orient - have a look at the first posts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Tout est bon mon Capitain.
    Bligh.

Sirs, seems that I need a French Hermione frigate, too.

Want to run a little test in the the game...

I'm ready with the charts, so the whole French line is run by 2 pieces of paper, one with the ship's stats and one with a firing log.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Got a Hermione so not a problem Sven

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A few questions from the Admiralty Board Sven.
    1. Re the Sailing rules :-

Are we allowed to shorten and increase sails as per the rule book?
    Is there likely to be any variation in wind direction?
    Is it allowed to place a spring on the cable if ships are at anchor, and if so how do you account for ships swinging on such?

2. What spacing are you using between each ship in the French Line.

Thanking you in anticipation.
    Rob.

1) For sailing there's an easy rule.

Before you move, simply anounce if you increase or decrease your sails (step by step of course). No need to plan an action for this.

The wind will not change. You'll sail into the bay with steady good wind conditions.

I have no problems with special maneuvers of anchored ships. You only have to keep the victory conditions and time in your mind.

2) There's not enough space to sail between French ships.

Shure, if you sail perfect, you can make it, but if you collide with a French ship, you're trapped. And I don't know, if it's a good idea to sail between two Temeraire class ships in such a distance.

Important: The French ships will not move and if one is destroyed, unlike the RN ships, the base will stay on the gameboard and block movement.

The major task is: How to sail down the French line? 8 RN ships with double shots and first broadsides deal out a lot of damage, but you need a plan and good maneuvering to win this. You know what the French line does: Fire and reload as long as possible at the nearest target.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    That is very clear.
    See you on the 15th.
    Rob.