View Poll Results: Which Is You Favorite Movie?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Horatio Hornblower 1951 - Gregory Peck

18 12.50%
  • Damn the Defiant! 1962 - Alec Guiness

3 2.08%
  • Billy Budd 1962 - Peter Ustinov

1 0.69%
  • Horatio Hornblower TV Series 1998-2003 - Ioan Griffin

35 24.31%
  • Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2003 - Russell Crowe

87 60.42%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Movie Is Your Favorite?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Yeah, I always liked her too! According to David Selznick it was the part that captured the roll of Scarlett in "Gone With The Wind" for her!

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Yeah, I always liked her too! According to David Selznick it was the part that captured the roll of Scarlett in "Gone With The Wind" for her!
    I can remember how amazed I was when I was a kid hearing her speak with her own English accent after watching her in "Gone With The Wind." There seem to be a lot of British and Australian actors and actresses that can perform in movies and television and use various American accents convincingly. It seems like I'd be used to it by now but it still amazed me after watching a few episodes of "The Walking Dead" and then hearing some of the cast, particularly the main character, speaking with a British accent. When I watch most American actors who try or tried to do the opposite in movies, its laughable.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Only seen one, so had to pick it! lol
    Ditto here, but I really didn't want to, as the voice track was so bad on it, I couldn't understand a single word said during any stormy or fight scenes.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I can remember how amazed I was when I was a kid hearing her speak with her own English accent after watching her in "Gone With The Wind." There seem to be a lot of British and Australian actors and actresses that can perform in movies and television and use various American accents convincingly. It seems like I'd be used to it by now but it still amazed me after watching a few episodes of "The Walking Dead" and then hearing some of the cast, particularly the main character, speaking with a British accent. When I watch most American actors who try or tried to do the opposite in movies, its laughable.
    To do an accent properly, one must not only listen (in order to hear how it sounds), but not force it -- which is where most American actors fail.

Once, I was waiting in line at the local Barnes & Noble, and one of the cashiers had a full-bore Scottish accent. By the time I reached the top of the stack -- and guess which cashier I got? :) -- I was sounding like Sean Connery. She actually asked me which town in Scotland I was born in; the look on her face when I told her I was originally from Southern California, but had a talent for voice-mimicry....

(It gets worse: I'm a fan of the original _Iron Chef_. I've seen the episodes where everyone is dubbed *except* Chairman Kaga; so I can now do a solid mimicry of his voice. And it's transferred to my feeble attempts to speak Japanese -- Kaga has an "accent" which causes him to smash the end of words ending in vowel-sounds, so "tofu" comes out "tof'" -- so not only don't I speak Japanese, I don't speak Japanese *with an accent*.)

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    ty

actually for those stateside, netflix carries all of them on dvd

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    BRIAN

Master and Commander for me. But now that we have links to the full length movies I am going to have to watch the others

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have found another film. It is called Mutiny. It is set in the 1812 war starring Mark Stevens, Patric Knowles and a young Angela Lansbury as a scheming temptress. It is pretty average stuff but they use an early submarine at the end to defeat the British. It is available to watch on Youtube.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Just saw Damn the Defiant! 1962 with Alec Guiness. Damn fine film!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Targe

Voted Master and Commander, mostly because it's the only one I've seen, but also because it really caught my imagination when I first saw it, I already loved ships of sail, and this movie was the first to really give that love something to feed on and grow. I remember my father watching Horatio Hornblower when I was young, but I never had much interest in it back then, not really sure why, and nowadays I just don't have the time to watch it, sadly.

With Spanish ships on the way, perhaps we will recreate battles such as this (Of course having a Hornblower Captain card just wouldn't be fair):

Last edited by Coog; 09-25-2014 at 22:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As I was brought up on the Hornblower books I relish a bit of a tussle against the Spanish.
    Bligh.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Damn the Defiant but if the original Mutiny on the Bounty had been there I probably would have voted for that.
    (1935 Charles Loughton and Clark Gable, with if you can spot them James Cagney and David Niven)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Damn the Defiant but if the original Mutiny on the Bounty had been there I probably would have voted for that.
    (1935 Charles Loughton and Clark Gable, with if you can spot them James Cagney and David Niven)
    Looks like I will be watching Mutiny again, just to spot Cagney and Niven, two actors I thoroughly enjoy.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

For me it was hands down Master And Commander, the characters (Killick and the old man), the on deck realism, was just awesome. Hornblower was good too (the series is on Youtube) but it just seemed Horatio was too much in control of his own destiny (he could have fallen down the gullet of a great white and ended up in the captains cabin with a promotion and eating a plate of sushi). But it was an admirable series. I really enjoyed The Bounty with Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson, and from a military outlook, it was the most realistic in my opinion.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    For whom and for how long? When what a given "star" wore on a red carpet is a national headline of the day, it might be time to move.

As for age of sail films, we should not forget some wonderful pirate/swashbuckler movies - not quite Napoleonic, but worth the watch.
    Totally agree, "The Black Swan" with Tyrone Power (on youtube), and "Legend of the Seawolf" with Chuck Conner stand out for me, good flicks.Also anything with the Legend himself Robert Newton.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Master and commander for me, love it, will watch again tonight.
    Sharpe's series is great, i remember them on ITV when they first showed. Sean Bean is an awesome actor too.
    I would love to see a sequel to M&C, sadly it wont probably happen, shame.

Landsman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Dennis

Master and Commander, hands down.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

My parents (now me I guess since they both have passed), owned a home south of Ensenada, Mexico. I remember traveling along the road seeing a frigate moored near the mouth of the big tank down there where my parents described seeing RMS Titanic a couple of years before and seeing a ship being built nearby (either the movie version of Surprise or Acheron) I never forgot that. The frigate moored outside was without a doubt the frigate I have loved these many years HMS Surprise (ex HMS Rose) and actually had the honor to sail aboard in 2012. Master and Commander will always be my favorite.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

1) Master and Commander
    2) Horatio Hornblower series
    3) Horatio Hornblower Gregory Peck film

My first sea faring film as a kid was the Errol Flynn/ Basil Rathbone "Captain Blood" (which I loved)...then I saw Gregory Peck in Hornblower -- it impelled me to burn through all the novels one summer (including the companion map book). I really enjoyed the TV series with Ioan Gruffudd (and it caused me to read all the novels once again). However, when I saw Master & Commander in the theater on the big screen it became my all time favorite age of sail film.