Thread: AAR. June Solo mission "Intercept" Captain Mc Bride.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default AAR. June Solo mission "Intercept" Captain Mc Bride.

Twixt cup and lip.

For once Captain David McBride was in no doubt as to his orders.

The usual convoluted and verbose communications from Bombay Castle, had for once been most specific.
    "Intercept the French Frigate Proserpine…….. and detain the V.I.P. that you will find on board."

There followed a list of coordinates describing the route which the Frenchman would take. How on earth the Company Directors at the Castle had come by such detailed information David could not imagine.

Anyway the proof that they were accurate was there before him. From his Quarterdeck, In the early dawn light, he could clearly see the Frenchman as he stole Eastward, hugging the coastline and thus trying to conceal his presence.

Name:  IMG_2644.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  143.7 KB
    " Well Monsewer you are nicely trapped between the coast and the Devil in the form of my 40 gun Frigate." He remarked to himself, knowing full well that the faster French ship could out sail him. David was pleased that the ship's Captain had tried subterfuge rather than trying to gain more sea room.

Name:  IMG_2647.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  224.2 KB
    Noticing a slight shift in the wind as they closed,

Name:  IMG_2645.jpg
Size:  138.4 KB
    David gave the order to change the Nottingham's heading two points to Port in order to close even faster on the Frenchman.

Name:  IMG_2646.jpg
Size:  129.7 KB
    No sooner had he done so than the French frigate altered its own course as if to cut astern of the Nottingham.

Name:  IMG_2648.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  139.3 KB
    "Got you now my boyo."

Name:  IMG_2649.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  145.5 KB
    The British Frigate came hard a Port.

"Fire as you bear." At point blank range the double shotted first broadside scythed into the bows of the Frenchman reaping hell fire and destruction, as the carronades ripped it apart from stem to stern.

Name:  3ab543d779211a8231e70c039c48abd0.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  203.0 KB

David was, however, disappointed to notice that no masts fell, as he was hoping to cut the speed of his adversary to match his own.

Name:  IMG_2651.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  165.0 KB
    As the two ships drew apart, the Proserpine's feeble double shotted reply, was indicative of how badly mauled she had been by the British ship's onslaught. One more pass and a boarding party would surely settle the matter.

Name:  IMG_2652.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  138.1 KB
    As if to help in this enterprise the French ship still partially out of control, as the Captain frantically tried to restore order to his decimated crew, came up into the eye of the wind and was taken aback.

Name:  IMG_2653.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  137.6 KB
    Even better, as the Nottingham came about in pursuit, the wind backed a further few degrees, allowing her to tack smartly with her full crew in control, without suffering the same results as the Frenchman.

Name:  IMG_2654.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  208.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2655.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  118.5 KB
    As the French tried to regain top speed, the Nottingham started what looked to be a long end chase.
    in this fitful wind would the two ships be able to weather the distant headland without being forced to tack once more?

Name:  IMG_2656.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  127.3 KB
    The French Captain had obviously decided not, as he came about to Starboard once more.
    As soon as David saw the Frenchman's sails shiver, he also gave the order to come about, and being on the shorter radius closed with the Proserpine again.

Name:  IMG_2657.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  147.4 KB
    For the second time the French captain tried to cut across the wake of the Nottingham.
    David was now faced with a dilemma. he was in a perfect position to deliver another rake, however, he had noticed a figure in Army Uniform upon the Poop deck talking animatedly to the French captain and one of the helmsmen.

Name:  telescope view.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  165.6 KB
    This was undoubtedly the VIP which the Orders mentioned, and sweeping the decks with Grape would inevitably endanger his life.

Name:  IMG_2658.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  186.8 KB
    David reluctantly ordered his guncrews to stand down, and instead put the helm hard a port in an endeavor to board the Frenchman.

Name:  22005 small.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2658.jpg
Size:  186.8 KB

With an alacrity he had not previously shown, the Frenchman now put up his own helm and sweeping past the side of the Nottingham, added insult to injury by peppering the decks with musket fire, which again for obvious reasons David dared not order returned by his Marines.

Name:  IMG_2659.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  188.3 KB
    Now fully reloaded with Double shot, and well to windward, the Proserpine gave David a farewell salute from its broadside guns.
    Although not devastating, it had now rendered Nottingham's crew to a very depleted state, and incapable of guaranteeing a successful boarding action.

David could not outrun it, and seeing his quarry in danger of slipping through his fingers, had to take one last gamble.
    Bringing the Nottingham about, he ordered the so far unused broadside to open fire again at short range.

Name:  IMG_2660.jpg
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2662.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  161.4 KB

The devastation to the Proserpine was horrific, and at long last the mast for which David had been hoping, fell alongside the ship and started to drag it around towards the Nottingham.

Name:  IMG_2663.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  170.7 KB
    In one desperate attempt to stave off defeat the French returned what fire they could muster.

Name:  IMG_2665.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  214.6 KB
    Feeble though it was, a falling block struck David down on the quarterdeck moments before the French colours came fluttering down on their own ship.

When David's Second Lieutenant and Captain of Marines stepped onto the French ship to accept its surrender, there was not one Officer left to carry out the Office on the Ship.

Name:  IMG_2661.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  188.8 KB
    The Master's mate eventually took on the role. Amongst the fallen was discovered the body of the V.I.P.

As David recovered in his cabin, his head swathed in bandages, he reflected on the Picric victory, which had gained him a floating hulk as a prize, a concussion, a decimated ships crew, and a dead VIP. Well at least he did not manage to carry to fruition whatever plan he ha in mind.
    Maybe an examination of his papers would be forthcoming.

Whatever the outcome David was sure that he would not get a warm welcome from the board of Directors when he docked in Bombay.

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-10-2016 at 07:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Butcher's Bill.

HEIC Nottingham. 2:6. Captain David McBride. Wounded in action, captured one ship 4 prize money. Lost the overall scenario owing to death of VIP.

Hull repairs automatic. Crew replaced from French.

Name:  IMG_2666.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  202.1 KBFrench Frigate Proserpine. Hulked. Captain, First Officer and VIP KIA.
    Name:  IMG_2667.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  209.8 KB

Bligh.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Well fought, too bad about the Vip. Not quiet the orders that were given, I hope the Captain isn't judged too harshly by the admiralty.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fortunately Hugh, being HEIC it is not the Admiralty Captain McBride has to worry about.
    It is the Governor of Bombay Castle.
    On reflection, I'm not sure if that is a better thing or not.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Historically how forgiving were the company when compared to the navy?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a big question Hugh.

It depended very much who was on the board at the time, who the current Governor General was and also how much the Admiralty were doing to help keep the trade routes open. They may very well have been at loggerheads with the Army commander for some reason or another, nor did the Company long term interests always coincide with the wishes of any of these, nor factions in the Home Government in England. So you might get a good day when you were expecting a bad one.
    For example. The Army may have wanted to find out what the VIP was up to, but he may have also had information about some deals the Company was doing with the Maharratas. Consequently the Open Orders may have said detain him, whilst the John Company Governors may have been glad to see him dead. Think "Suits" only much much bigger. The future wealth of the Empire could hinge on this one action.
    We will never know.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Wow, I love it! They should make a historical house of cards style show about the machinations of the EIC.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice aar Rob, not as easy as first seemed eh, in my trials it went 50-50.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes that was my chance of not killing the VIP Chris, and the Gods laughed at me.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you want to find out more Hugh, there is a Trilogy of novels available.

The East Indiaman, For king and Company and On the Company's Service, by Ellis K Meacham.

Also a Non Fiction book, Storm and Conquest by Stephen Taylor which centers on the battle for the Indian Ocean in 1809.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Another great AAR
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Good AAR Rob. Pity about the dead VIP. Still in the circumstances I don't see what else you could have done, apart from not killing the VIP that is!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! You see mine and McBride had the same dilemma Reg.
    I was actually gutted to see the fish slip off the hook, albeit a dead fish, after a good fifty percent of the game it looked as if I just had to reel him in and gaff him.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Default Learning Curve?

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Ah! You see mine and McBride had the same dilemma Reg.
    I was actually gutted to see the fish slip off the hook, albeit a dead fish, after a good fifty percent of the game it looked as if I just had to reel him in and gaff him.
    Rob.
    I will try to learn from your misfortune when I attempt this scenario.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Nice action, though you were very unlucky. Seems the Frenchman's first goal was to decimate your crew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That was certainly the downside Richard.
    I could have stood a lot more hull damage, but for a boarding you need a preponderance of hands to be in with a chance.
    If I play it again, I can't honestly see a better tactic to use than to get that first shot in and board.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I found that a hard first hit and then try to board immediately is the best approach. You went first however and so didn't have the benefit of seeing someone else's attempt. I applaud your forlorn hope.