Thread: Solo play app

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Default Solo play app

Hey there!

I've been working on a solo play app recently. It's not pretty, but so far, it works. When it's done, you'll be able to select the ships you want to play with (You can add the ships you own to the app), select whether or not you want to use the basic, standard, or advanced rules, and any optional rules you want. You can also select the movement rules you want to use. Right now, I've only got the standard solo movement rules for AI ships complete. (I still need to add collision damage, but I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle that.) It requires a bit of user input... you'll have to tell it your target, range and arc, and when moving, if a ship is taken aback
    Name:  mainform.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  133.2 KB
    Here you can see the main form, with the ships I own so far.

Name:  addeditship.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  83.8 KB
    As I stated before, you enter the ships you own into the application.

Name:  planning1.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  131.9 KB
    Name:  planning2.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  134.8 KB
    Name:  planning3.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  136.0 KB
    Here's the progression of the Movement phase of a turn. The Constitution is player controlled, while the others are AI. It's using the standard solo movement rules. After the AI ship moves, it checks to see if there are any used cards that need re-shuffled back into the AI ships movement deck.

Name:  planning4.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  131.4 KB
    I haven't gotten the combat rules finished yet, but here's a shot of the Constitution preparing to fire a full port broadside on the Unite. You'll notice that when the Unite is targeted with the port cannons, the ship is removed from the list of targets for the starboard cannons.

During the combat phase, when a player fires, it will display the damage done to the targeted ship. After the combat phase, the damage will be applied to the ship, and the artillery firepower for the damaged ships will be updated, as well as the number of actions available, if the advanced rules are being used. It will also keep track of special damage incurred, and apply it accordingly. Well, that's it so far. It's slow going, so I'm not sure when it will be done. Hopefully relatively soon!

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Looks fantastic
    I can not wait for this type of facilitation for solo players. It will work on android?
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do like the look of this Gregory.
    The format of your display is easy to follow even with my poor eyesight, which can be a big problem when trying to see many of this type of display.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It will be more complete than mine. I still use the physical chits. It makes it possible to play with a mix between physical ship logs and electronical.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

very nice. Do you have an estimated completion date?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Very nice!!!

Will it also write up the After Action Reports? lol.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I look forward to trying it out. Great effort!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Very nice!!!

Will it also write up the After Action Reports? lol.
    Nice one Jim.
    We can but try.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Daan

Looks cool G-Two, I am starting work soon on an similar app. I am going for a web based version so it is accessible on all devices out there. You can check out the version for Wings of Glory I already made at: http://www.daanherman.nl/wog.html
    The Sails of Glory version will feature a lot more interaction since there is much more to the game than simple manoeuvring.
    G-Two, for what platform are you making your app? What are you using for manoeuvre computation? I am using my own home grown grid based manoeuvre computation. Before I used pre-programmed manoeuvres for each situation but I found that teaching the software to think for it self is much better.

Anyone that wants to support the development of my apps can go to my Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-other-gam

*edit: if you check out the WoG software do so on a mobile device, the layout is optimised for this. It's also not entirely finished yet but should work well already.

*edit2: Don't know yet how you will distribute your app but if you need hosting space let me know! I would love if the website I am going to launch contains some community content as well. Not just my own concoctions .
    Last edited by DGH; 06-01-2016 at 06:16.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Thanks for the replied everyone! Let's see if I can address some of the questions. :)

Q: "It will work on android?"
    A: For right now, it's a Windows only app.

Q: (Well, not really a question...) "It will be more complete than mine. I still use the physical chits. It makes it possible to play with a mix between physical ship logs and electronical."
    A: True, my app will automate much of the gameplay, which I think is fine for solo play. When playing with a friend or a group, I think I would really like using your app, as I kinda like using the Ship Logs and whatnot...

Q: "Do you have an estimated completion date?"
    A: Not really, I just twiddle with it in my spare time. That being said, a lot of the heavy work has been finished. I've created classes for ship logs, decks, individual cards, damage counters, etc... Now I'm just writing the code to apply the existing game rules using those objects... When you start a game, it creates a Ship Log for each ship, as well as creating a maneuver deck for each ship. When an AI ship moves, the app is literally pulling a random card from a virtual deck. When combat occurs, the app pulls virtual counters for the given range and arc. There's a bit of user input that is needed, as the app isn't keeping track of where the ships are physically; you still have to do that. :) But setting the app up to work the same way the physical game does makes it relatively easy to apply the rules when coding. Right now, only the standard solo movement rules have been created. I want to include Fred Miracle's movement rules, as well as Powder Monkeys (with permission of course, which I still need to ask for... Speaking of, anyone know how to get a-hold of Richard Bradley?) I've got a version that only generates maneuver cards that I can upload if anyone's interested.

Q: "Will it also write up the After Action Reports"
    A: Would you like it to? What would you want in them? It would be easy enough to log the actions, and save them as a text file.

Q: "What are you using for manoeuvre computation?"
    A: So far, the maneuvers are computed strictly following the solo rules in the book. Sort of... It requires user input for whether or not you are taken aback, and if using the advanced rules, whether or not you've got broken masts. The rules for the game didn't include anything rules for being taken aback or having broken masts for AI solo movement, but I included them, based on the regular rules.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

As far as solo movement rules might I suggest you take a look at powder monkeys rules in the files section? They are far superior to the solo rules in the starter set.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

I hope to include Powder Monkeys in the application. The user will have the option of selecting which set of movement rules they want to use.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even better, as most of we Solo gamers are very well versed in the Powder Monkey system.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Even better, as most of we Solo gamers are very well versed in the Powder Monkey system.
    Rob.
    Some of us prefer Fred's solo rules, which should also be in the "Files" section.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by G-Two View Post

Q: "Will it also write up the After Action Reports"
    A: Would you like it to? What would you want in them? It would be easy enough to log the actions, and save them as a text file.
    A summary of the moves with damage at the games end would be nice. Narrative is always up to the commander, but when I did solo scenarios I would find at times that I forgot to record the exact movement card and/or take photos to document same in the heat of battle. Add more ships to the table and it's even more likely that documentation of the battle may be compromised. Thanks!
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

I got Fred's permission to use his rules in the app, so my next step is adding the ability to select those as an option.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very good point Jim.
    I am pretty well organized after a lot of practice, but in the heat of action, particularly if explaining a move to a new player. It is all too easy to forget the exact sequence of play. This is especially true if any length of time elapses before the write up. An aid memoir would be a n asset worth having, especially as we are trending toward even larger fleet actions as time passes.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I got Fred's permission to use his rules in the app, so my next step is adding the ability to select those as an option.
    Gregory, that's good to hear.

One item that did come up in my solo play, and the "Treasure Island" scenario specifically, was that the solo rules sometimes don't work as well when the AI ship is likely to be sailing towards a fixed target. Ralf (Uthoroc) came up with a grid for such occasions. This may or may not be relevant for your app work but here's the information?

See post No. 17 in this thread.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ember-Campaign
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another very handy addition to the movement aids.
    Thanks for pointing it out Jim.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Gregory, that's good to hear.

One item that did come up in my solo play, and the "Treasure Island" scenario specifically, was that the solo rules sometimes don't work as well when the AI ship is likely to be sailing towards a fixed target. Ralf (Uthoroc) came up with a grid for such occasions. This may or may not be relevant for your app work but here's the information?

See post No. 17 in this thread.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...ember-Campaign
    Okay, I've gotten the majority of Fred's solo rules implemented. I just have a couple of clean-up tasks to take care of, like handling when you are within a certain distance of an obstacle or map edge. After checking out your link, I believe I can very easily implement Ralf's (Uthoroc's) rules for sailing toward a fixed object into Fred's rules in the application.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Okay, I've gotten the majority of Fred's solo rules implemented. I just have a couple of clean-up tasks to take care of, like handling when you are within a certain distance of an obstacle or map edge. After checking out your link, I believe I can very easily implement Ralf's (Uthoroc's) rules for sailing toward a fixed object into Fred's rules in the application.
    Wow! That's wonderful news!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly is. This is something I have been hoping for ever since we saw the first computer aided war games back in the eightys.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Okay, I've got everything updated with Fred's rules and the additional rules by Ralf (Uthoroc). I've uploaded a test version of the app (movement only) to the files section, and right now it's in the moderator's queue for review. (It's a .zip file that contains an executable, so I imagine they're going to want to give it a good going over before letting anyone download it.) ;)

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

I'm looking forward to running it! I wonder if it will work smoothly on Wine.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    I wonder if it will work smoothly on Wine.
    Abut as smoothly as wargamers generally do when they are running on wine I guess

A most welcome project which we will watch with considerable interest!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Okay, I've got everything updated with Fred's rules and the additional rules by Ralf (Uthoroc). I've uploaded a test version of the app (movement only) to the files section, and right now it's in the moderator's queue for review. (It's a .zip file that contains an executable, so I imagine they're going to want to give it a good going over before letting anyone download it.) ;)
    I'm pretty certain Eric doesn't have time to deal with this file and both he and Keith may be off to Origins in Columbus, OH next week? Do we have other admins/officers who can take a look at this initial solo app file? Thanks.
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

If there are any brave souls out there who don't mind the risk, you can PM me with your email, and I can send you the .zip file.

I wonder if the moderator queue is getting checked? (is this a plea for moderation? )

I posted something to the Sale/Trade forum a few weeks ago and it still seems to be waiting for approval...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am it for now chaps. Only Keith or Eric can deal with your questions. My Admin role does not extend to financial, medals to do with Top posters, or moderation and approval of Files.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

If there are any brave souls out there who don't mind the risk, you can PM me with your email, and I can send you the .zip file.
    I can try wine on Linux, it would be interesting to see if it can run your program. I am willing to give it a try if you'll send it to me.

Pm me and I'll send you my email.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Okay... here's a question: I'm close to a point where I can code the damage dealt during the combat phase. I've modeled the code around the way the game actually works. I have objects which are containers for counters, which are randomly drawn based on the firepower of the ship/arc. So, I've got a few ways of doing this. I can draw against the collection, not removing the counters previously drawn. The probabilities of getting any certain counter drawn stays constant for all ships, throughout the entire game. I find this method the least appealing. It gives rise to the ability to get counter draws that simply aren't possible in the game... like a ship with a firepower of 7 causing a draw of 7 counters that have fire damage. Another method would be to remove the counters that are drawn for a ship only for that turn, and only for that ship. (EX: As damage is drawn, that counter is removed from the collection, and can't be drawn again for that particular round of damage. But the counters are replaced for each ship, so each ship begins it's drawing from a full set of counters.) Next, I can remove the counters drawn from the collection for the entire turn. (EX: Ship 1 draws a 3 damage counter with fire damage. That counter isn't available to be drawn by any other ships for that turn. At the end of the turn, the counters are returned to the collection, and are available to be drawn during the next combat phase.) Lastly, I can remove the counters from the collection as they are drawn, and they are not available for the rest of the game. Any thoughts on which method would be best?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

The program runs fine on Ubuntu using wine. It looks really good! Im really quite impressed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is that an American quite impressed or an English quite impressed Hugh?
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Is that an American quite impressed or an English quite impressed Hugh?
    Rob.
    Hmmm, I have been here a while but haven't gone full native. To clarify then I shall, instead of quite impressed, say that everything is ticketyboo!

A few notes, I don't know if you are planning to but, maybe add some form of ships log so we can keep a visual tally?
    Last edited by Hjl; 06-10-2016 at 09:00.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Okay... here's a question: I'm close to a point where I can code the damage dealt during the combat phase. I've modeled the code around the way the game actually works. I have objects which are containers for counters, which are randomly drawn based on the firepower of the ship/arc. So, I've got a few ways of doing this. I can draw against the collection, not removing the counters previously drawn. The probabilities of getting any certain counter drawn stays constant for all ships, throughout the entire game. I find this method the least appealing. It gives rise to the ability to get counter draws that simply aren't possible in the game... like a ship with a firepower of 7 causing a draw of 7 counters that have fire damage. Another method would be to remove the counters that are drawn for a ship only for that turn, and only for that ship. (EX: As damage is drawn, that counter is removed from the collection, and can't be drawn again for that particular round of damage. But the counters are replaced for each ship, so each ship begins it's drawing from a full set of counters.) Next, I can remove the counters drawn from the collection for the entire turn. (EX: Ship 1 draws a 3 damage counter with fire damage. That counter isn't available to be drawn by any other ships for that turn. At the end of the turn, the counters are returned to the collection, and are available to be drawn during the next combat phase.) Lastly, I can remove the counters from the collection as they are drawn, and they are not available for the rest of the game. Any thoughts on which method would be best?
    Removing the counters from the game as they're drawn would seem to replicate how they stay on your ship mats until the end of the game. However, some folks actually use grease markers to fill up the boxes on the ship mats and return the counters for drawing purposes continually.

I wont claim to understand statistical probabilities, but I would be fine with any system for damage that remains constant for all ships involved.

This probably hasn't answered your question, but others who game more might give you what you need? Cheers.
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

"A few notes, I don't know if you are planning to but, maybe add some form of ships log so we can keep a visual tally?" - Hjl

The full version has a ships log that displays the current status of the ship. It includes the general ship data, Artillery and Musketry firepower, actions, port and starboard broadside status, and any damage conditions the ship is under. I'm going to include an option to allow the user to select "Maneuvering Only" in the full game, so if you like, you can use it only generate AI ship maneuver cards, just like the current test version does.

The full version will "select" the damage counters pulled during combat, and automatically apply the damage after the turn completes. It will display the current Firepower after applying the selected counters per the game rules.
    It will also keep track of damage such as fire, leaks, broken masts, etc, and remind the player before the action planning phase of any unresolved damage that is available for repair. And, of course, it keeps track of the cannon status. It's not going to let you fire a broadside if the cannons are still reloading. :) The only thing I'm not really covering is collision damage. Right now, it ignores it. I know there's been a bit of conversation on this subject in other forum posts. The only way I can think of to include it would be to have a form that comes up after every movement phase asking if there were any collisions, allow the user input the specifics, and let the app generate the damage to be applied.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Okay... I've got the full version more or less finished as far as the Basic and Standard rules go. I'm still not sure what to do about collisions. So, to recap: Basic and Standard rules in place. Standard and Fred Miracle's movement rules implemented. I've got the following options rules included as well: Let the men drink, Gunners lacking training, Continuous fire, First broadside, Forced Aim, Flagships, and Surrendered Ships.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like you are just about there. As you say the collision rules are a bone of contention. Although I personally don't like them in the form that they are presented in the Official Rule book. I would add them as they are written, with an option to apply them to all ships, or non.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Sounds like you are just about there. As you say the collision rules are a bone of contention. Although I personally don't like them in the form that they are presented in the Official Rule book. I would add them as they are written, with an option to apply them to all ships, or non.
    Rob.
    I can do that. On that note, though... are there any optional rules, that just don't appy to Solo play?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nothing that roles off the top of my head, but I'm hoping that one or two of the expert rules interpreters will chip in on this and put us right on any omissions.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

I've not had a lot of time to work on the application lately, but I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who would like to have a few run-throughs with what's been done so far. You can use the app, and keep track of the damage on a physical ship's log to make sure that the application is applying damage as it should.

Also, would anyone be interested in a mini version that only drew damage chits for attacks, kind of like the maneuvering one I made earlier, but for cannon fire. You would input the current firepower for the firing arc, and the range and the app would inform you of the damage counters drawn. You could then track the damage on the ship log/grease pencil mat/etc... I could easily pull that code out of the full app to make a small stand-alone damage only one.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Woot! I've got the advanced rules coded. I've got a fair bit of testing and debugging to do now. And I still have to get the rest of the optional a rules coded as well.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Okay, it's code complete. :) Not all of the optional rules will be included. Several of them require a conscious decision on the part of the user. I couldn't find a way to adequately simulate certain decisions for the AI, so those will have to wait until version 2. :)

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Can't wait to try it out! I've been holding off on the campaign game so that I can give this a proper christening.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also look forward to seeing this in action Greg.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

I set up a confrontation between the USS Constituion and the HMS Guerriere (represented by the HMS Amelia) I used the app with Fred Miracle's movement rules and advanced game rules. Here's the report generated by the app. There's a bug in the removal of water damage, as well as ship surrendering. The Guerriere actually surrendered with an artillery space still available. the report doesn't track player movement, just AI movement, and actions done through the application.

The following log is an account of the actions between the following ships:

Player ship(s):
    USS Constitution 1812

Opponent ship(s):
    HMS Amelia

Turn 1

For the HMS Amelia, use a straight veer 5 card from maneuver deck E.

Turn 2

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 1 card from maneuver deck E.

The USS Constitution 1812 fires a port stem broadside at the HMS Amelia, at long range, using ball ammunition.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: Crew, 0, 0, 0.

Turn 3

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 4 card from maneuver deck E.

The HMS Amelia fires a starboard stem broadside at the USS Constitution 1812, at short range, using ball ammunition.
    The USS Constitution 1812 receives the following damage: 5, 4 w/Crew.

The USS Constitution 1812 reloads its port cannons with Ball ammunition.

Turn 4

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 8 card from maneuver deck E.

The USS Constitution 1812 begins repair actions.

The USS Constitution 1812 fires a port full broadside at the HMS Amelia, at short range, using ball ammunition.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: 4, 3 w/Rudder, 3, 2 w/Crew, 2.

The HMS Amelia reloads its starboard cannons with Ball ammunition.

Turn 5

The USS Constitution 1812 repaires damage.

The HMS Amelia begins repair actions.

The HMS Amelia fires a port full broadside at the USS Constitution 1812, at long range, using ball ammunition.
    The USS Constitution 1812 receives the following damage: 0, 0.

Turn 6

The HMS Amelia repaires damage.

The USS Constitution 1812 fires a port stern broadside at the HMS Amelia, at long range, using ball ammunition.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: 4 w/Leak, 1, Crew, 0.

The HMS Amelia reloads its port cannons with Ball ammunition.

Turn 7

The HMS Amelia takes damage from 1 leak.

The HMS Amelia removes damage by pumping water, and begins repair actions.

Turn 8

The HMS Amelia takes damage from 1 leak.

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 3 card from maneuver deck E.

The HMS Amelia removes damage by pumping water, and repairs a leak, which will be fixed at the end of this turn.

Turn 9

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 6 taken aback card from maneuver deck E. Use the movement line with one sandglass.

The HMS Amelia begins repair actions.

The USS Constitution 1812 fires a port stern broadside at the HMS Amelia, at short range, using ball ammunition.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: 2 w/Crew, 2 w/SailDamage, 1, 0.

The USS Constitution 1812's marines engage the HMS Amelia with musket fire.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: Crew, Crew, 0.

The HMS Amelia fires a starboard stern broadside at the USS Constitution 1812, at close range, using ball ammunition. It is a aft raking shot.
    The USS Constitution 1812 receives the following damage: 2, 1 w/Crew, 0.

The HMS Amelia's marines engage the USS Constitution 1812 with musket fire.
    The USS Constitution 1812 receives the following damage: Crew, 0.

Turn 10

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 9 card from maneuver deck E.

The HMS Amelia repairs its rudder, which will be fixed at the end of this turn.

Turn 11

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 3 card from maneuver deck E.

The HMS Amelia reloads its starboard cannons with Ball ammunition.

Turn 12

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 6 card from maneuver deck E.

Turn 13

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 8 card from maneuver deck E.

The HMS Amelia fires a starboard full broadside at the USS Constitution 1812, at long range, using ball ammunition. It is a fore raking shot.
    The USS Constitution 1812 receives the following damage: 3 w/Fire, 1, 0.

Turn 14

The USS Constitution 1812 takes damage from 1 fire.

For the HMS Amelia, use a veer 6 card from maneuver deck E.

The USS Constitution 1812 begins to extinguish a fire on board.

The USS Constitution 1812 fires a port stem broadside at the HMS Amelia, at short range, using ball ammunition.
    The HMS Amelia receives the following damage: 5, 4, 4.

The HMS Amelia has surrendered.

You have won this enagement!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Do you have a copy I can use for the campaign game?

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

I just sent you the updated version. :) You might check your Spam folder. I had sent you the previous version on the 3rd. This one's got a few of the bugs quashed, but I'm sure there's more. :)
    Once an engagement is complete, look in the Logs folder wherever you unzipped the file to, and the After Action report will be there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just sent you the updated version. :) You might check your Spam folder. I had sent you the previous version on the 3rd. This one's got a few of the bugs quashed, but I'm sure there's more. :)
    Once an engagement is complete, look in the Logs folder wherever you unzipped the file to, and the After Action report will be there.
    I am very impressed with the look of this and, as a complete numpty when it comes to the use of this apps type of game, will be asking some questions when you have sorted out all the bugs.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Gregory

Hey all...

I've been messing around with the full app for a bit now, and to tell the truth, it seems to take some of the flavor away from the game. I'm taking the maneuver and firing code, and creating standalone apps for anyone who wants a small app that only generates a maneuver card for AI ships, or one that generates the damage chits for a broadside. I'm not discontinuing work on the full app, but for right now I'm focusing more on the smaller ones. That being said, I have a windows app for Fred Miracles movement rules done, as well as an Android app:

Here's a screenshot from my phone:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160717-202235.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  100.2 KB

Here's the interface. It's pretty bare-boned, but functional.
    Name:  Screenshot_20160717-202256.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  71.6 KB

Here's an example of a generated maneuver card selection:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160717-202317.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  70.9 KB

Here's another example of a generated maneuver card selection:
    Name:  Screenshot_20160717-202556.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  68.7 KB