Thread: My version of Santisima Trinidad

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Default My version of Santisima Trinidad

Hello everyone. College is done so I finished my Santisima Trinidad model. I used a Orient SOL and came close to the original. I hope you enjoy this. At 51 years old my hands are not steady and I need a very good pair of glasses now .

Shane

Name:  100_1126.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  135.3 KBName:  100_1133.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  162.7 KBName:  100_1143.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  182.9 KBName:  100_1149 - Copy.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  154.9 KBName:  100_1152.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  173.1 KB

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Very nice Shane I know what you mean about unsteady hands and glasses as I too suffer from those problems but it does not appear to have affected you with this model

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a great piece of work Shane.
    Can you describe your methodology to us.
    At 70 my hands are also not too steady, but i find after a couple of G&Ts things are much more steady.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Thanks to both of you for your kind remarks!!!!

I also have reduced the number of movement cards. There are none of the tight turns that the origional movement deck has. From what I have read
    maneuvering the Trinidad was like trying to turn around a heavy truck with a 53 foot trailer behind in a coffee shop parking lot. She will wallow about in high waves,
    but don't try to tangle with her at optimum broadside range.

Shane

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

First I took the model apart so I had the side pieces, top deck and stern separated from the hull center piece. Then with small piece of styrene I leveled out the top
    of each side piece for the top deck guns,

Then the decking piece I just moved up make the top deck look normal, only needed about a 1/16 th of an inch. Once I had the two sides and top deck completed I glued the
    top gun pieces to the sides and top deck to represent the entire cannon complement on the top deck.

On to the stern, there are so many pictures of the stern view all of them are different.So I went with the design that seems prevalent with all spanish ships

I started with a semi circular piece of styrene, I had some fine screening cut out a piece to fit, glued it onto the semi-circle. Took small strips of styrene and curved it around the top to make an edge, then strips for each level of decking. Then added three lanterns to the top of the semi-circle. I had to rebuild the lower portion to match up with the rudder and lower hull.

Once do with the stern, then glued all five pieces together, and filled gaps as necesary. Placed the masts and sails on her then a coat of paint.

So there are five pieces Two side pieces, port and starboard, the center piece , the top deck, and the stern.

Took a while to finish is. The white trim was a no go for me, needs a real steady hand, so settled for the red black of the hull. I will eventual
    apply ratlines and rigging, but I have 100 ships as well to do

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for your synopsis Shane.
    That will be very useful for any of us wishing to emulate your design.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Well done shir!

The truth is that I look forward to Ares selling the Holy Trinity.

Greetings,

Julián

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At my age I'm not sure that I can afford to wait that long Julián.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Beautiful work! The discussion on the conversion process is very interesting, but probably beyond my skill level at this point. Like Julian, I will wait for Ares to market her. I am curious what you are using for the ship's mat/statistics?

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Actually it is really easy, I try to keep the stuff I do as simple as possible. Rigging is probably going to be impossible for me. Just not steady enough.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Hi Rob

Do you have an idea when the new ships ill be for sale............Ares website says they are now in stores but nothing here right now. Just thought I would ask if you were celebrating a new catch of the day?

Shane

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Only Keith will be able to tell us when they arrive in the States. Hopefully about a month after the release date.
    Note, I said hopefully.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Hi Rob

I used to be a logistician..........I know about orders that are "supposed" to be on time.......The idea of just in time shipping is fluid. It all depends on the truck drivers and warehouse workers and just in time usually means somewhere between
    the 1st day of the month and the last day

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We always worked on the supposition that JIT was actually what we termed the JINT, Just in nick of time, or more likely OWL system Shane. One week late! I fear that we must add another tier when dealing with supplies from Ares distributors. MNM. Maybe next month?
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    We always worked on the supposition that JIT was actually what we termed the JINT, Just in nick of time, or more likely OWL system Shane. One week late! I fear that we must add another tier when dealing with supplies from Ares distributors. MNM. Maybe next month?
    Rob.

Hi Rob.............MNM sounds about right, kind of like the post office. When we are getting paid, the post office takes it,s time to send us our cheques............not the same when we are sent our bills......they always arrive on time.

My favorite saying was............you expect your parcel today........wait I will consult my crystal ball ..............nope............not coming today and tomorrow looks even worse.

Shane

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Reminds me of one my technician used.
    Impossibilities we execute immediately, miracles take a bit longer.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Reminds me of one my technician used.
    Impossibilities we execute immediately, miracles take a bit longer.
    Rob.
    I heard it as "The Difficult we do immediately; the Impossible takes a bit longer."

Able Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    shane

From Scotty on Star Trek
    "Always remember we are engineers, so we need to be miracle workers, so tell the cap'n that it takes two hours when it actually takes one hour...............makes us look like
    miracle workers when we get it done in one hour"

Shane

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I heard it as "The Difficult we do immediately; the Impossible takes a bit longer."
    That's inflation for you Chris.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by stuh42asl View Post
    From Scotty on Star Trek
    "Always remember we are engineers, so we need to be miracle workers, so tell the cap'n that it takes two hours when it actually takes one hour...............makes us look like
    miracle workers when we get it done in one hour"
    "I told the captain I would have this diagnostic done in an hour."
    "And how long will it really take you?"
    "An hour!"
    "Oh, you didn't tell him how long it would really take, did you?"
    "Of course I did."
    "Oh, laddie, you have a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker."

And additionally:

"The tank can't handle that much pressure."
    "Where'd you get that idea?"
    "What do you mean, where did I get that idea? It's in the impulse engine specifications."
    "Regulations 42/15: 'Pressure Variances in IRC Tank Storage'?"
    "Yeah."
    "Forget it. I wrote it... A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper."

[ http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Relics_(episode) ]