2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Return of the lost mariner

Ahoy there,

I've been away from the forum for a while and my involvement has tapered off sharply. But I'm just popping in to share some info with you. I got back from Boston last week and thought I'd share this pic with you. A close friend of mine works at the US Naval War College and sent me a pic of a special wargaming event at the college commemorating the battle of Jutland.

Name:  Jutland1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  211.9 KB

Here's the info of the event. I would have given my left arm to be in that room:

"The outstanding lesson to be drawn from the battle it seems to me is that success in battle must be based upon a vigorous offensive."
    -Captain Joel R.P. Pringle, USN (Thesis on Tactics, Naval War College, Class of 1919)

JOIN THE FIGHT!

The Naval War College Maritime History Department, War Gaming Department, and the Naval War College Museum are proud to host JUTLAND: The War Game. Please join us to commemorate the centennial of the largest naval battle of World War I and follow in the footsteps of admirals Chester W. Nimitz, Ernest J. King, and William “Bull” Halsey as you “game” the Battle of Jutland.

The President of the Naval War College, Rear Admiral P. Gardner Howe, USN and the Director of Naval History, Rear Admiral Samuel J. Cox, USN (ret.) will command the fleets! You, the players, will command the ships!

TIME
    Tuesday 10 May 2016, 1:30 to 4:00 PM

Light Refreshments will be available during the event. You may also join us following the action during a “no host” social at the Officers’ Club.

This event is open for all NWC faculty, staff, and students to participate and/or observe. Read on for information on how to register.

EXPERIENCE THE RICH HISTORY OF THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE!

"The Battle of Jutland provides an ideal illustration of how future commanders may use radio to increasing the flexibility of strategy…..Basing his decisions on the strategic situation and the intelligence he had through radio, Jellicoe made sound tactical decisions to preserve the integrity of the British fleet at Jutland. In so doing, he insured the supremacy of the British fleet and placed the Germans in an inescapable stalemate which ultimately favored Britannia."
    -Captain Ernest J. King, USN (Thesis on Tactics, Naval War College, Correspondence Course, 1920)

Marking the centennial of the First World War, the Naval War College will revisit the epic Battle of Jutland which defined the first “great” world war of the twentieth century. As the German fleet sortied on 31 May of 1916, British intelligence enabled their fleet to seek out and attempt to destroy the enemy in the North Sea approaches to the Skagerrak Strait off Jutland on the North German coast. Although the German fleet inflicted more casualties during the battle, the British ultimately secured a strategic stalemate which eventually fueled the collapse of Imperial Germany by 1918.

Rear Admiral William S. Sims, Commander of U.S. Naval Forces in Europe during the First World War, returned as President of the Naval War College and used the Battle of Jutland to educate a new generation of U.S. Navy professionals including the future five star admirals – William D. Leahy, Ernest J. King, Chester W. Nimitz, and William F. Halsey, Jr.

You too can consider key questions of strategy and naval leadership by participating in the battle between the Imperial German High Seas Fleet and the British “Grand Fleet” helped define the Naval War College curriculum, inspired the Anglo-American alliance of the Second World War, and influenced the development of the U.S. Navy of the twenty-first century.

JOIN THE FLEET!

RULES OF THE GAME
    Umpires from the War Gaming Department will explain the rules prior to play and guide you along the way.

REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE
    Click above to register for the event. Players will be randomly assigned one of the 49 available battleships or battlecruisers of the German High Seas Fleet or the British Grand Fleet.

Register NOW to take command of your vessel! Register NOW to take command of your vessel!

You can also watch the action from the mezzanine or the floor! Stop by even if you cannot stay for the whole event!

There's lots of really great stuff to see at the war college. Their museum currently has exhibits on Trafalgar at 200 and a death mask of Lord Nelson. You can see a lot of their collection online here:

http://usnwcarchive.org/exhibits

I'll try to be as frequently annoying as I was earlier this year. Great to be back. Now I have hundreds of postings to catch up on.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the photo and post Ken. Nice to see you back. Being a part of that event would have been great, but just to watch would also have been fun. They do have a YouTube channel so I'll keep an eye out there to see if footage of the event might show up down the road?

https://www.youtube.com/user/usnavalwarcollege/videos
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome back, Kenneth. It looks an interesting event.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Thanks for the photo and post Ken. Nice to see you back. Being a part of that event would have been great, but just to watch would also have been fun. They do have a YouTube channel so I'll keep an eye out there to see if footage of the event might show up down the road?

https://www.youtube.com/user/usnavalwarcollege/videos
    look here

https://www.usnwc.edu/About/News/May...d-wargame.aspx

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Missed you Ken, thought a haboob or worse had blown you off the map . . . : ) Almost had to use my super vacuum former while you were gone.

As to the topic at hand, my oldest son did a scale re-enactment of this battle for his master's in military history degree years ago - blew his instructor's mind - he still has his 1/1000" scale ships and planes he used in his presentation on his desk down under . . . I sent him the link! Thanks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great to have you back Ken.
    I never really got to thank you properly for the insight into sailing that you gave me.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As a practical sailor yourself, I wonder if you could cast your eye over this thread Ken, and give me your opinion on how correct the card for the Schooner is getting.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...per-s-clippers

Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Thanks David. I will be looking to view that video off their Facebook page come May 31st!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb