Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clipper's clippers?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Clipper's clippers?

Indeed after the thread on the early clipper conversion my elves ran amuck!

Finding lots of info on a series of Baltimore clippers the pictures were secured, a few Thorns procured and we are off and running!

Ship photo of a large museum model happened to be side on, so it was reduced to our scale . . .

The de-constructed Thorn and the scale size photo. Now to make the bits! Nice to have the sails (except the squares) ready as patterns . . . thinking stickers? Thinking air hardening clay? We will soon see what the elves are up to!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Okay, the hulls are repainted, the sail stock painted, spar and mast plastic rods ready to cut, join, paint . . . . I can hardly wait! 4 clippers on the horizion!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Masts spliced on masking tape to keep the little "beasts" in place till the glue sets!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Sails, stack cut 4 sets at one time . . .

Layout and cut out main square sails . . .

Gluing sails to masts, handy bit of foam core to hold them . . .

Spars glued to sails . . .

Bow spirits . . . mast holes drilled . . .

Square sails curled and added to front masts . . .

Assembled so far X 4 . . .

Let set overnight tomorrow we rig and add jibs etc!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Keep it coming, Clipper!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The elves have been busy for sure.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The night shift did some sails and rigging, still need the stays . . .

The Clipper rule: If you are going to make one, its just as easy to make 4 or more . . . now to find names, I suppose the Thorn log will be fine . . .

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Glad the Elves were helping you rather than going of gallivanting with the Faeries!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Wow, they are looking great!

Have you thought about how their stats/manouvre-decks will look like?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Torrence View Post
    Wow, they are looking great!

Have you thought about how their stats/manouvre-decks will look like?
    Haven't a clue. Figure similar to the Thorn with only a few guns . . . should be fast though? Awaiting wisdom from the forum : )

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They look fine ships Dave.
    I just hope my Thorn comes out looking as good.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  Enterprise.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  115.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    Haven't a clue. Figure similar to the Thorn with only a few guns . . . should be fast though? Awaiting wisdom from the forum : )
    Here is the Base Card I made for my schooner http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthre...timore-Clipper

My thought is that with the fore and aft rig, schooners were faster upwind, but not good running directly downwind. The blue band indicates using the next orange sail setting slower. Note that the ships use the "C" deck.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I kept the gun stats the same as Thorn, as it seems like schooner armaments were all over the place.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think there might be some crew tweaking, but haven't looked into that yet...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

By the way, Clipper, good job on the fisherman sails! I wrestled with whether or not to include them on my schooner, and chose not to. Still, I do think a clipper captain would probably crowd on all possible sail. I'm still considering adding the flying jib.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Outstanding job, David.
    Models looks great.
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thanks! I am grateful for the card and info, not being an educated sailor-have been free boarding on all your expertise! Just added a flash of color wash to make them each distinctive, now to the names . . . Desert Clipper, Burgundy Clipper, Bomb Bay Clipper, Patriot Clipper all being considered . . .

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I like the paint jobs! I may have to make another schooner.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So has anyone explored color printing the ship's card on clear plastic? A bit of tacky glue dots could secure the ship to the card for the game and be popped off afterwards, it would make the ships look like they are truly afloat . . . just wondering . . . I will ask on the general thread too : )

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

What about removing the pin on the ships, gluing the ships to the clear plastic piece, and sticking the card underneath?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Wow, these are fantastic! Great job.

My suggestion would be to keep the maneuver deck of the Thorn, but make the "no go" red zone smaller (maybe *just* the bow edge?) to reflect the better windward performance of a fore-and-aft rigged ship, and bring the green back so that the ship will still be solidly in the green on a beam reach. Otherwise the orange as reflected above for the Enterprise seems pretty spot-on.

I'm very impressed and so tempted to try my own!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Check this thread out gentlemen.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...1459#post61459

Rob.

...all those shreddered sloops.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm with you on that, Sven.

I also think schooners would be a little smaller if nitpicking. I think the HMSchooner Pickle would be about two centimeters. It's ridiculously small.

It's still very good conversions and I wish I had them in my fleet.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

By the way... I'm thinking that clippers would be better at a "hard over" than the ship sloop and could therefore have veer 9.

Any thoughts on this?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is this more what you had in mind Gents.

Name:  Bombay Clipper.3.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  57.1 KB
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I'm with you on that, Sven.

I also think schooners would be a little smaller if nitpicking. I think the HMSchooner Pickle would be about two centimeters. It's ridiculously small.

It's still very good conversions and I wish I had them in my fleet.
    Many of the Baltimore Clipper / revenue cutter/ privateer schooners from this era were in the 90-120' range if I'm not mistaken, so I think using the Thorn (which was 90' long if I'm not mistaken) as the basis for conversion is fine.

I ordered an extra Thorn and am going to give this conversion a go. Can't wait!
    Last edited by surfimp; 05-11-2016 at 10:32.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Is this more what you had in mind Gents.

Name:  Bombay Clipper.3.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  57.1 KB
    Rob.
    I think the red zone is probably pretty close but the orange and green should be reversed... the fore-and-aft rigged ships are pretty fast on a close reach, at their fastest point of sail on a beam reach, a bit slower on a broad reach and absolute dogs when running dead downwind. As I understand it, the square rigged topsail of a topsail schooner was added specifically to try and address the absolute dogginess of sailing downwind.

I liked Dobbs' approach but I almost think something with two orange zones, in addition to his "Sail setting -1" at dead downwind idea, would be good.

Here's a very rough approximation of the idea:

Last edited by surfimp; 05-11-2016 at 21:35. Reason: Replaced image link, which had broken

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right I'll work on that basis with the extra veer of 9 if you think Jonas has that correct gentlemen.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hi Steve, I couldn't see your attachment, but I'd like to. This is a completely new field for the game and I'd like to see other interpretations.

One other thing I've done to reflect sloop agility is allow them to plot the current turn, whereas bigger ships have to plot a turn ahead.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Hi Steve, I couldn't see your attachment, but I'd like to. This is a completely new field for the game and I'd like to see other interpretations.
    Not sure what happened, but I quickly re-made the card using your Enterprise as the base.

My understanding is that a schooner (or any multi-mast rig) can't sail quite as close to the wind as a sloop, and is slow on the dead run, but is optimized for maximum speed on a beam reach.

Ergo something like this, that would of course have to be tweaked to match up with the actual model being used, and how it (and its masts) sat on the base.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    My understanding is that a schooner (or any multi-mast rig) can't sail quite as close to the wind as a sloop, and is slow on the dead run, but is optimized for maximum speed on a beam reach.
    Steve, Bear in mind that while Swan class sloops of war are called sloops, they are actually ship-rigged sloops (sloop being just the navy's way of classifying them as an unrated vessel), and a schooner could definitely outsail a ship-rigged sloop to windward.

I have been pondering how the card might change based on the schooner's mast, but on my schooner, the mainmast only a mm or so aft of the Thorn's original location. I suppose that means that even using the original unmodified Thorn card she'd be able to sail closer to the wind...

I think I'm going to go back on my choice of the C deck and stick with the G deck.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In that case I will hold back on any further modifications to my cards, and wait until your debate reaches some final conclusions. This is all most illuminating and far more complex than anything with which I could have come up.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In that case I will hold back on any further modifications to my cards, and wait until your debate reaches some final conclusions. This is all most illuminating and far more complex than anything with which I could have come up.
    Rob.
    Me too matey! I will wait till the pros who knows sort out the details, meanwhile I am deep into rigging and reading the history of the bigger Clipper Ships, fascinating! Beginning to understand the impact of steam for good and bad . . . still hope to do a windjammer cruise someday . . . drawn to the sea by wind and sail . . .ahhhhhh

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As soon as they decide Dave, I will knock out a set for all four of your ships.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Steve, Bear in mind that while Swan class sloops of war are called sloops, they are actually ship-rigged sloops (sloop being just the navy's way of classifying them as an unrated vessel), and a schooner could definitely outsail a ship-rigged sloop to windward.
    I understand this (and understood it well, before your reply) but am not sure what I am to take from it?

I have been pondering how the card might change based on the schooner's mast, but on my schooner, the mainmast only a mm or so aft of the Thorn's original location. I suppose that means that even using the original unmodified Thorn card she'd be able to sail closer to the wind...
    Sure, with an unmodified Thorn card, she'd sail closer to the wind, but she'd be in orange...

The goal of my effort was to significantly extend the green into close reach range, while still keeping some orange in the closehauled range just before irons. That change would tremendously increase the schooner's windward performance vs that of the Thorn's original... it would go much faster, much closer to the wind, as it'd be in the "green zone" in a wide arc around beam reach.

The reasoning for having a bit of orange between green and red was because, as I understand it, the closehauled tack is one of the slower points of sail, with the greatest amount of leeway induced. So it didn't seem reasonable to go from green directly to red without some intermediate orange at the extreme closehauled angle.

I also didn't change the red zone from your original Enterprise card, although in my original conception the red would be the extent of the bow end of the card and not extend down the sides at all. However, while I think that close angle would possibly be acceptable for a true sloop, for a multimasted ship like a schooner, ketch or yawl, my understanding is that they are incapable of sailing quite as close to the wind as a single masted sloop-rigged ship/boat.

I don't have first-hand experience but if that is the case, it might be an argument that either the Thorn's original irons range is not wide enough, and/or that it would be appropriate, within game terms, to provide a very narrow red zone for a schooner because, relative to the ship-rigged vessels, it would be able to sail that much close to the wind.

I suspect that the Thorn's red zone is too small, and that it should be bigger, but in any event it is an official product so we have to work from there. And so, I have updated the card (below) with the narrow red zone I originally considered but did not include in my first pass, for the reasons stated above.

I'm not sure I understand how my card displeased you, or if you were actually displeased at all. I kind of read it that way, but I'm certainly not looking for a fight, and I prefaced my effort by noting that it was extremely rough and just a brainstorm.

In any event, I was just trying to come up with something that matches my real-world experience as a (novice) sailor (entirely in sloops, and not sloops-of-war :p ) as well as aligning in a generalized sense with what I've read of schooner performance at various points of sail.

Here's a revised version. I've narrowed the red zone at the bow and also increased the purple zone (where, per your idea, Dobbs, you'd play your current sail setting -1)

Last edited by surfimp; 05-13-2016 at 15:33.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am still interested in this debate chaps. it is all very enlightening on points of sailing.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I am still interested in this debate chaps. it is all very enlightening on points of sailing.
    With all due respect - "debate" makes it sound much more contentious than I feel comfortable with. I believe we are simply trying to introduce mechanics for fore-and-aft rigged ships that do not currently exist in the game, and we have the best of intentions in doing so. Any of these things would need to be tested and really, discussing card artwork without the ship model (and its main mast position) represented is really the most broad and vague of first efforts. We're feeling about in the dark for something that seems right, but play testing and a consistent model would be mandatory for making anything like a defined card for these vessels.

For that matter, I am very much a novice and have much to learn about sailing. I have been fortunate to have once sailed aboard the replica of the America down in San Diego, and raised her sails, and spoken a bit with her crew, but that is as much as I have personally experienced in terms of schooners. She was quite fast on a beam reach, for what it's worth, but really I'm at best guessing as to what would be appropriate.

Summary: it's a discussion amongst peers, not a debate :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is and should be all in fun : ) thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. In my world a debate is a spirited educational experience where all parties serve the topic with their best efforts to enlighten all parties. From this thread I have enjoyed all your ideas and interest and passion, thanks!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

As soon as they decide Dave, I will knock out a set for all four of your ships.
    Rob.
    Thanks so much! My graphic days are pre-digital. My Adobe Illustrator is still in the box : )

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Here's something kind of fun that demonstrates the influence of sail setting and relative wind direction on the speed of a typical fore-and-aft rigged boat: http://www.thepirateking.com/ships/sail_simulator.htm

I am certain it's not super accurate but it gives a reasonable approximation of how fore-and-aft rigged boats perform. Quite different than square riggers, which are optimized for broad reaches if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by surfimp; 05-13-2016 at 18:13.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So in my search of all things sailing, I saw this crazy "tiny" sailboat at the marina on Lake Pleasant, AZ. With a moment on Google I discovered the mini 12 class of sail boats! Too cool!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ni+12+sailboat

No clippers or square riggers!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am sorry if my use of semantics has disturbed you Steve. I was using the word as defined in the Cambridge English Dictionary."debate meaning, definition, what is debate: (a) serious discussion of a subject in which many people take part."
    I in no way intended to upset anyone, nor suggest that this was in any way a less than harmonious discussion. Simply that it was serious to me as a way of gleaning information about a n area of seamanship about which I am sadly ignorant. However little experience you may have on schooners, it is 100% more than my own.
    I hope that I have not put you off continuing to help me get a better understanding of how to handle one of these vessels, albeit a small plastic one.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just had a trial run with your simulator program Steve, and I found it very informative.
    I will be revisiting periodically I'm sure.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have been pondering Steve's base card. I can agree with the logic of the split orange zone, as the closer to the wind the ship sails, the less efficient it gets. However, I think the schooner would still be a better performer than the ship rigged sloop, so I think I am going to stick with green all the way to red, at least at first. It's a tough call and subject to change with play testing.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I'm going to have a go with it, too, Dobbs. It would be great fun to accommodate these ships in the game! I'm such a schooner fanboy I can barely stand it.

I'll look forward to reading about what you come up with!

As we do in Naval Action: o7

It's an emoticon of someone delivering a salute :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So I will pursue the base cards and give them a try as well. Are there other, larger armed such ships I might build in this medium? I love the process and the ships are a blast to make, too bad the Bigger Clipper ships are so much later than our game . . . I too love the schooner look!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I'm going to have a go with it, too, Dobbs. It would be great fun to accommodate these ships in the game! I'm such a schooner fanboy I can barely stand it.

I'll look forward to reading about what you come up with!

As we do in Naval Action: o7

It's an emoticon of someone delivering a salute :)
    Hey Steve, what is the ship in your avatar?
    Last edited by Clipper1701; 05-17-2016 at 22:12.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nearly ready to start my conversion.
    As of yesterday and a cruise by my local Model shop, I now have Carbon fiber for the masts and thin plasticard for the sails.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have a number of CF rods from my R/C projects, hadn't thought about using them up on ships . . . more clippers then? Good luck on yours, mine are taking up residence on the mantle for a while . . .