Thread: Historic absence...

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

Default Historic absence...

I had in no way thought that Sail´s Of Glory would pull such a long historical traces of it. Never had i read so many books about Ships, Captains, Naval battles, historical wars and Beer. Thanks to some great posts here at Anchorage from some amazing people from, among others, Sweden, England, Poland, Germany, USA, Australia and many more, are my historical knowledge been so much bigger.
    Last Friday i was out fishing on a small boat slightly north of "Hven" (a small island between Denmark and Sweden). It was easy to imagine the many old sailing ships around "Øresund":
    Name:  IMG_2133.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  124.5 KB

No ship without a port. "Nyhavn", a small channel in Copenhagen inaugurated by His Majesty, King Christian V and survived two fires in the 17 century and the British bombardement in 1807:
    Name:  IMG_2187.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  173.7 KB

I have been there a lot of times, but this time was different. I could smell the tar, rope and saltwater and small buildings from the 18 century popped up here and there:
    "sail flags and compass maker"
    Name:  IMG_2183.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2181.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  159.4 KB

There are so many tales from Nyhavn about the "Nyhavn-girls", Tattoo´s, robberies, hard working people and of course all the old pups with sand on the floor.
    This small place caught my interest:
    "Fisken" (the fish):
    Name:  IMG_2188.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  179.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2192.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  132.0 KB

Here in Nyhavn my friend and enjoying the rest of the day until we were going home...pretty drunk

Once again thanks to all of you great people who gives me inspiration to be curious.
    Morten
    ...put him in the brig until he's sober...

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Copenhagen is a beautiful city, I knew about it, but these pictures have confirmed me in this.
    I hope that I will have the opportunity to visit this city in the future personally.
    Cheers Morten!

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

Kamil, please do. You are so welcome and take some ships with you I have been in Krakow a bit south from your location and that is indeed a beautiful city as well. I would like to fly fishing in Poland and catch trout someday...and of course taste the polish beer
    cheers mate
    ...put him in the brig until he's sober...

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Unfortunately, in terms of fishing, I can not help you , I've never been interested in this hobby.
    I often visit Copenhagen using google earth and I think, that this is a city with a great historical atmosphere. And I hope that one day I get a chance to visit Denmark in person.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Looks well worth a visit. I have been to Denmark once when I was on holiday in Laboe (where the U Boat memorial is) but it was a very hurried affair. We had gone to look at the Kiel Canal and drove into Denmark on a whim. We went about 70 miles to a seaside town, can't remember it's name, had lunch and then drove back to Germany. I will have to plan it better next time.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Great photographs, Morten! Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Very nice photos, Morten, I wish I could just grab my bag and travell back to Denmark!
    When I was there last summer, I was mostly interested in the war of 1864 (which is almost completely forgotten here in Germany, our children don't even learn about it at school anymore!), so I haven't seen much of the seafaring side of your country (except the beautiful coasts and the (compared to my place) very strong wind!). I toured the whole country by car for about three weeks and of course visited Copenhagen but I can't remember having seen "Nyhavn".

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great places with wonderful atmosphere!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I really love those atmospheric pictures Morten.
    Your Capital has certainly been added to my bucket list.
    Just reminded me of the old places we just visited in Praag last week.

Name:  IMG_0499.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0512.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  209.0 KB

Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks for the lovely pictures! I already have Denmark on my bucket list!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

A pub with character too. Copenhagen now on the bucket list.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Been there many times and probably will again. I will have to make sure to look up that bar.

Rob, that first picture looks a bit like old town of Stockholm. I would feel like home.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Doing our hobby can make you see places in a different light. Going to small coastal towns (As above, Weymouth/Portland etc,) Or going to Portsmouth. I have gone there with no interest in Naval-Wargaming and post Naval-Wargaming. The interest in our hobby is like turning on a light to these places. One see's them full of tall sails, Dock-sides teaming with sailors, Dockworkers and horses. The odd troop of marines marching too or from the ships. The smell of the sea, ropes, tar and humanity. I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes to these places with a funny look on my face and a dreamy look in the eye!
    Be safe
    Rory