Size:  137.7 KB

To: Captain Samuel Nicholson, USS Constitution;
    Captain Thomas Truxtun, USS Constellation;
    Captain Stephen Decatur Sr., USS Phiadelphia;
    Captain, Richard Valentine Morris, USS New York;
    Captain Edwin Preble, USS Essex
    Re: Three month cruise in the Greater Antilles

Sirs:
    You are directed to accompany me on a cruise of the Greater Antilles to intercept any French merchantmen and warships that come our way. We will rendezvous at the mouth of the port of Havana, Cuba at 6:00 a.m. on March 23, 1800 and proceed, in company, to Saint-Marc, Haiti.

Respectfully,

John Barry
    Commodore, Caribbean Squadron
    ___________________ . ___________________

To: Captain Samuel Nicholson; Acting Commodore, Caribbean Squadron
    From: 2nd Lt. William Perry Jones, Acting Commander USS United States
    Re; Engagement, April 2, 1800

Sir:
    I regret to report, for the record, the death of Captain John Barry, commander of the USS United States and Commodore of the Caribbean Squadron of the United States Navy. His last courageous act was to fling his ship into the maelstrom to prevent a French Fleet from entering the Port of Saint-Marc, Haiti. His actions lead to the sinking or capturing of two ships-of-the-line and three large frigates. He was a gallant sailor and he will be missed by the entire service.

I also must report that 1st Lt. Paul Marley was severely wounded during the action. While he may yet recover, his wounds have certainly ended his life at sea.

I was stationed on the bridge near the captain during the entire battle and feel that I am competent to give an accurate report of the events.

The USS United States and the USS Constitution had struck their sails and were blocking what appeared to be the only entrance to the harbor at Saint-Marc. The four frigates patrolled the entrance at battles. Seven French warships approached the harbor having suffered a great deal of damage in the storm of a fortnight ago. Captain Barry signaled the French, using their own signal flags, to turn into the wind and strike their colors if they wanted help. The enemy gave no sign of complying with the order and continued on their course.

Name:  T03-2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  94.6 KB

The captain signaled our squadron to raise sails and to begin to encircle the enemy. Capt. Barry ordered our sails raised and we moved to intercept their flagship, Genereux. Constitution was signaled to follow.

Name:  T04-2.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  75.6 KB

Genereux signaled for us to let the French ships through or she would open fire. At 12:32 p.m. the two flagships opened the engagement by exchanging broadsides. Both sides took damage, but Genereux lost her foremast in the exchange.

United States lowered sails to backing and turned sharply to starboard, as Le Swiftsure rammed her. The two ships exchanged fire and Carmagnole added her own broadside to our damage. Our ship began to leak. Swifture caught fire and our musketry decimated her crew.

Name:  T05-4.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  66.5 KB

We broke away from the burning her as Swiftsure gave Constitution a raking broadside into her bow with what was left of her starboard guns.

Name:  T06-2.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  75.5 KB

Swiftsure collided with Constitution and Carmagnole collided with us. Our forward starboard guns punished Carmagnole and our port broadside joined in with Constitution's port broadside to put and end to Swiftsure.

Name:  T07-3.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  86.4 KB

With Genereux, Dryad, Unité adding there guns against us, our captain and first mate down, and Carmagnole ready to board, I ordered our flag to be struck. We were out of the fight;
    ___________________ . ___________________

To: His Excellency Benjamin Stoddert, Secretary of the Navy
    From: Captain Samuel Nicholson; Acting Commodore, Caribbean Squadron
    Re: Engagement, March 29, 1800

Sir:
    As you have read in the report from 2nd Lt. William Perry Jones, our commodore, John Barry, was killed in action on March 29, this year. His 1st Lieutenant, Paul Marley was wounded so severely that he may not recover and his usefulness to the Navy is probably at an end. Let me describe what occurred after Lt. Jones surrendered his ship and the alterations I made to the squadron for your approval.

Constitution continued its battle until Genereux sank and Carmagnole struck her colors.

Name:  T14-3.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  74.9 KB

She fired a raking shot on Succes, causing great damage, as she struggled to make it through the channel.

Name:  T10-2.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  77.7 KB

Dryad was confronted by USS New York who sunk the Frenchman.

Name:  T11-3.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  131.8 KB

New York immediately joined in on the sinking of Genereux with a raking shot that sparked a second fire on board the enemy, and then fired her starboard broadside into Le Succes. She finished the battle colliding with Carmagnole, losing two of her masts.

Name:  T12-2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  98.8 KB

USS Constellation took part in the sinking of Dryad and battled Courageuse into a watery grave.

USS Philadelphia and USS Essex swept the rear elements of the French convoy keeping the ships bottled up and less likely to break through the American screen. This was, as you know, of immeasurable import to the success of the mission. However it also meant that they had fewer opportunities to exchange fire with the enemy. They did get some licks in.

Name:  T08-3.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  73.4 KB

Philadelphia took devastating damage from raking shots provided by Courageuse and Dryad causing severe leaking below decks. Captain Stephen Decatur Sr. circled around the tail of the convoy until the leaks were shorn up.

Name:  T12-3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  84.2 KB

Philadelphia rejoined the fight in time to take part in the capture of Carmagnole.

On seeing Philadelphia’s plight, Essex cut between Decatur’s ship and the French.

Name:  T13-2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  73.7 KB

After an exchange of fire with Courageuse, and the fourth of our adversaries slipped beneath the sea.

Two ships escaped our grasp. Unité and Le Succes slipped through the uncharted channel and into the harbor. Both ships were severely damaged by the storm at sea and the storm thereafter.

Orders:
    1st Lt. Ezekiel Fulbryte to take command of the ships being sent to Havana for immediate repair. He will act as captain of USS Constitution.

2nd Lt. William Perry Jones will command USS United States to Havana for immediate repair.

2nd Lt. Isaac D'Israeli will command the French prize ship, Carmagnole, to Havana for immediate repair.

Captain Samuel Nicholson to take command of the squadron and transfer the Commodore's Flag to USS Constellation.

Captain Thomas Truxtun to remain in command of USS Constellation.

USS Constellation, USS Philadelphia, USS New York, and USS Essex will continue the cruise, making repairs that can be made; then to arrive in Havana on or before June 15, 1800.

I hope that, in all of these decisions, you concur.

Respectfully yours,
    Captain Samuel Nicholson;
    Acting Commodore,
    Caribbean Squadron
    Last edited by Bos'n; 04-16-2016 at 18:33.
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Après la Tempête - After the Storm:
    And Then the Storm Thereafter

Changes in the Scenario:
    1. I chose to use all six of the ships in the American squadron so enlarged the play area to accommodate the entire American squadron.

Name:  P1-3.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  141.9 KB

2. I placed four fixed locations that I felt any ship would have to sail to if they were going to risk the channel. If the harbor entrance was the only location used with the movement chart, then grounding would be inevitable.

Name:  P1-6.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  128.3 KB

3. Changed which French ships would try the channel. After using a D6 to determine which ship would head for the channel, two ships were chosen, the barely damaged flagship and a large frigate with only a little damage. Two smaller frigates, Unité and Le Succes, each sustained greater damage including a fire aboard Unité.

Name:  P1-1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  144.8 KB

Half of Unité’s hull damage boxes were filled before the game even began. Unité and Le Succes tried the channel.

Name:  P1-2.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  153.5 KB
    Bob

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Après la Tempête: After the Storm, and then the Storm Thereafter

French Ships

Name:  Genereux.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  196.1 KB
    Sunk took fire from United States (2pt/3), Constitution (2pt/3), New York (3pt/3)

Name:  Le Swiftsure.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  218.6 KB
    Burned to the waterline took fire from United States (2pt/2), Constitution (2pt/2)

Name:  Carmagnole.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  196.7 KB
    Captured took fire from Constitution (1pt/2), Philadelphia (2pt/2)

Name:  Dryad.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  202.4 KB
    Burned to the waterline took fire from Constellation (2pt/3), New York (2pt/3), Philadelphia (2pt/3)

Name:  Courageuse.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  188.9 KB
    Sunk took fire from Constellation (2pt/2), Essex (2pt/2)

Name:  Le Succes.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  184.6 KB
    Made it to port

Name:  Unite.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  172.4 KB
    Made it to port

American

Name:  USS United States.jpg
Size:  158.1 KB
    Fired on Généreux (0.67), Swiftsure (1)
    John Barry 1.67 rounds to 2 rep. pt. (posthumously)
    Repair: in battle (0), at sea (1), Damage (5 full, 1 partial), RtP (4 full, 1 partial)
    Crew Damage (9), RtP (9)

Name:  USS Constitution.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  149.6 KB
    Fired on Généreux (0.67), Swiftsure (1), Succes (0)
    Samuel Nicholson 2.17 rounds to 2 rep. pt.
    Repair: in battle (1), at sea (1), Damage (4 full, 1 partial), RtP (2 full, 1 partial)
    Crew Damage (5), RtP (5)

Name:  USS Constellation.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  197.6 KB
    Fired on Dryad (0.67), Courageuse (1)
    Thomas Truxtun 1.67 rounds to 2 rep. pt.
    Repair: in battle (1), at sea (1), Damage (2 full), RtP (0 full)
    Crew Damage (2), RtP (2)

Name:  USS New York.jpg
Size:  178.9 KB
    Fired on Genereux (1), Dryad (0.67), Succes (0)
    Richard Valentine Morris 1.67 rounds to 2 rep. pt.
    Repair: in battle (1), at sea (1), Damage (3 full, 1 partial), RtP (1 full, 1 partial)
    Crew Damage (2), RtP (2)

Name:  USS Philadelphia.jpg
Size:  195.2 KB
    Fired on Carmagnole (1), Dryad (0.67)
    Stephen Decatur Sr. 1.67 rounds to 2 rep. pt.
    Repair: in battle (0), at sea (1), Damage (2 full), RtP (0 full)
    Crew Damage (2), RtP (2)

Name:  USS Essex.jpg
Size:  192.2 KB
    Fired on Courageuse (1)
    Edwin Preble 1 rep. pt.
    Repair: in battle (1), at sea (1), Damage (1 full, 1 partial), RtP (0 full)
    Crew Damage (0), RtP (0)

Personally, I'd give everyone 2 reputation points and John Barry the Naval Cross.

<NO I HAVEN'T THE FOGGIEST IDEA WHY SOME OF THE PICTURES ARE UPSIDE DOWN>
    Last edited by Bos'n; 04-16-2016 at 20:38.
    Bob

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wow! That was an impressive battle.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Out of curiosity, how long did that take to play?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long did that take to play?

Well, I think I started in March 2006. I'm not sure, but I think that's right.

Actually, the game took 15 turns and some days I only had the energy to complete a turn or two. My living room was the ocean sea for at least a week and a half. What my wife won't put up with'
    Bob

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Ver nice action and AAR, this time one size bigger: Bigger squadrons, bigger ocean!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Welldone to manage so many ships alone even over a week. Not an easy task. Salute Sir!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great battle!
    Nice American ships. I like your fleet.

Some of the pictures that got upside down is probably due to the gyro of the smartphone. It puts the information in the picture of orientation but it doesn't work when transferred. You have to use a program like photoshop/gimp/paint etc. to be sure of how the picture will turn out. It's mostly when the phone interprets a flat orientation as slightly upside down.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly done my scenario proud with your interpretation Bob, and the larger Squadron.
    Just sorry that your ships and Officer Cadre were hit so hard in the action.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

How it happened that I could overlook such a battle
    Great
    Big boats take the glory, little boats make the sailor