Thread: Advice for beginners needed

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Default Advice for beginners needed

Hello mates,
    I'm seeking information from the battle-hardened repainters, and these will certainly I find here ;)

I'm sorry for perhaps trivial question, but please advice regarding the use of wash paints, especially for our models. Don't want to completely repaint them, just give them a depths. What wash should I have to use to sails, and what to hulls? Maybe are any special techniques?

I have to mention that I don't have any experience in repaiting.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Finally something I know! I use a watered down sepia on the sails and a watered down black on the hulls.

I have used a variety of companies paints and find that gw isn't bad paint. Paint evenly with a large brush so as not to leave brush marks on the model. I use a kalinski sable hair brush.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For myself, I dont give the ships hulls any wash, I prefer them bright, but if you wish you can use a very watery black or a dark grey to run over the decks and hull sides, use a largish brush and use light strokes over the aras.

For the sails, i now use a white or cream with a little light grey just to give the sails an off white colour.

I now paint all the spars and fighting tops black, this helps cover a multitude of sins.

For paints ,like Hugh I use a variety of paints, GW for white , administrum grey and foundation Red.
    I also use lemon yellow mixed with white for masts,.

I should have said I use acrylic paints not oils or enamels. Saves on smell of brush cleaner and just use water to thin the paint and clean brushes.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-15-2016 at 10:41.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Thank you mates for this useful information.
    As soon as I'm doing something with my models, I put here some pics.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'm pretty much the same as Chris on painting techniques. Tops in black and masts done in Ochre.
    I usually use a dark brown wash instead of black but it is just a matter of choice. I still have a lot of Citadel inks for washes.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I don't wash the hulls either, but have given the deck a light wash when I didn't paint an entire deck to emulate the finished as-is deck.

I find that the boats will be much better with a wash.

I've seen great sails from just a wash but I paint mine in an off-white that I mix each time. That makes for variation. It's mostly yellow and a sand/beige I mix in. Lately I've thought to paint the topsails a little darker as those would most likely have been most used. First rates get a little whiter sails as they get newer cloth than a frigate just back from the far side of the world.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This is what I love about this site, lots of great ideas and techniques! Thanks all!

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    This is what I love about this site, lots of great ideas and techniques! Thanks all!
    You come to the point