Thread: 3 battle

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

Default 3 battle

In a obscure basement north of Copenhagen the 3 battle took place. We were very excited to see Kristians HMS Hibernia in action. Played "enemy in sight" from rulebook. Standart rules with some optional rules.

First game
    Point Value:

- Kristian:
    HMS Hibernia = 212 PV

- Morten:
    Aquilon = 144 PV
    Le Succes = 68
    total = 212 PV

Start the game with some provisions:
    Name:  Piber.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  182.4 KB

After thoroughly examining of HMS Hib.´s log, it was all clear for me. That ship will NEVER sink. I have to take his crew out with musketer with out getting to much dammage getting close.
    Some minor maneuver fail´s make Le Succes a bit too far from Aquilon, but i managed to get close, entangled and roar out my ordre to the crew: FIRE WITH ALL YOU GOT (think some of my men even throw their pipes against the enemy)...Ohh, i was so lucky with damage and Kristian...not. Both of my ships did their homework very well but all of the time it was a delicate balance if i could keep my ships in play It all end up with Kristian loosing his crew and surrender with almost no damage to his hull. It´s a very strong ship indeed. Of course i once again managed to make a collision

Second game

...this i will make up to you Kristian, but first let me bring thanks to our fellowship whom make it possible to play 5 men:

Sigurd = British
    Kristian = British
    Mikkel = French
    Nikolaj = French
    and at last the drunken sailer, Morten = French

Thank you all for bringing the spirit into my fantasy
    Morten
    ...put him in the brig until he's sober...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Taking on Hibernia with a 3rd and a frigate! That ship puts even the mighty ocean class ships to shame. I'd love to see some pics

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes we all want pics.
    Like vampires our life's blood is pics.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Kristian

Now lets see.

First of all, We where playing with standard rules.

Birtish:
    Sigurd- HMS Meleager - 69 pts
    Kristian - HMS Hibernia - 212 pts.
    Total pts cost - 281 pts

French:
    Mikkel - Aquilon - 144 pts
    Nikolai - Courageuse - 74 pts
    Morten - Le Succés 68 pts
    Total Pts cost - 286 pts

I was a day of black skies and lots of heavy rain. The waves was high and it was hard work for the lads to be on deck.
    After some hours, The storm begain to calm down, but still very windy.

The second scenario was that game where the french have to go from one of the short sides of the board, and all down to the other side. (can´t remember the name of the game)
    But we swift places, and the British captains was the ones who had to go the long way.

First lets see the 2 british captains. (Iám the one on the left side.) The pipes was good, and the coke even better.

The line up was like so.

Now the first short was fired.
    HMS Hibernia fired her broadside on to Le Succés. I thought that I would take out the small Frigate first.
    HMS Meleager open up on Aquilon. And Aquilon and Courageuse open there fire to the small HMS Meleager.

All ships this turn was on range A. The french took a hard bitting, but the again, that did Meleager too.
    Two rounds after we got to shoot again. And was close enough to the crew can fight.

Hibernia open up on Le Succés. And she shot back this turn. Aquilon did fire on to Hibernia too.
    And Meleager and Courageuse fired on to each other. Then Hibernia and Aquilon got stuck together for 2 turns. We fought on the ships. When if was time to shoot again. I Told Morten to bress himself. Mortens look on the face was priceless. I then i turned around and open on aquilon insted. That was the right call from me. I would have taken out Mortens ship, but then i wouldn´t take out Aquilon letter on. Morten was relief that his ship could sail on the sea ones more. and then we got free (And then we make some movement mistakes) The last round of combat was closing in on us.

HMS Hibernia fought both Aquilon and Le Succés The hole battle, Where HMS Meleager fought Courageuse almost the hole game.

Now to last combat.
    I should say, The round before The player who was in control of Aquilon was a lucky man, When we where fighting he had 2 crew slots left, before he was about to surrender his ship, and i was a long way down on my crew slots too, only having 3 slots left.
    He drew his counters. And what does the man get, 1 freaking crew and a zero. And i Drew 2 zeroes.

Now to the last round. I shot my broadside on to Aquilon, to take her out of play.
    And Courageuse took Meleager out of play. Then I Couldn´t keep my mouth shut, and told my dear friend Mikkel (Aquilon) That he could infact shoot his broadside on to me too.
    Then i Drew my counters, Morten Shot his ship on to me too.
    I was surrending too. There where 3 ships in one round of combat who got taking out.

Le Succés with almost nothing left on his hull, Courageuse with even less damage. Was the reminning ships

Our ship mats look like this.

HMS Hibernia

HMS Meleager

Aquilon sorry for the bad picture

Le Succés

Courageuse

I am sorry that there are no more pictures. There are infact alot of pictures, but can´t remember was it was.

I should learn to take pictures of the ships and who is shooting on who.
    But hey It is only the second time we where trying to make a battle report.

More pictures are comming on tonight

I still hope you find this report good. altought there are not that many pictures
    Last edited by Guldfisk; 04-07-2016 at 05:27.
    Greetings From

Kristian. S. Hansen

Ordinary Seaman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Kristian

And here are some pictures from the first battle of the day.

Deployment

Here is HMS Hibernias first broadside on to LE Succés

Last edited by Guldfisk; 04-07-2016 at 05:23.
    Greetings From

Kristian. S. Hansen

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks for the reports, Hibernia really is a tough enemy. And undamaged she makes a perfect prize for the French!

Quote Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post
    Start the game with some provisions:
    Name:  Piber.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  182.4 KB
    Ha, when I visited Denmark for three weeks 8 months ago, I too stumbled upon your "Skipper's Pipes" and at once bought a huge pack of them for my SoG round! It's a small world!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

A well thought out strategy. I made mistake in the last campaign mission of trying to destroy the Commerce de Marseille. I should have taken out her crew.

The crew is the most vulnerable point of those 1st rates, especially when playing without special damages.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are spot on there Sven. It is often the crew who buckle first unless you are really lucky with sever on fire or raking shots at close range. I guess that is why we read so many battle reports where two or three 74s had a go at a three Decker and came out near hulks before it eventually struck.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

True. If we were playing with advanced rules i will be busy trying to get far away from 1 rate and put out fire, pump water, repair and be very afraid of 1 rate broadsides. It would be a very big risk to keep on trying taking out her crew....hmmmm, thinking of some "hit & run" with the wind in full sails. But then i really have to practice my maneuvers.
    The 1 rate is not exactly the best ship to making quick turns and that could be a possibility to out maneuver her with two ships, but again you have to figure out what your opponent do the next couple of turns and keep focus on your own maneuvering
    Can´t wait for the next battle.
    Morten

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

Quote Originally Posted by Torrence View Post
    Thanks for the reports, Hibernia really is a tough enemy. And undamaged she makes a perfect prize for the French!

Ha, when I visited Denmark for three weeks 8 months ago, I too stumbled upon your "Skipper's Pipes" and at once bought a huge pack of them for my SoG round! It's a small world!
    Richard, next time visiting Denmark prepare for battle. Maybe some exchanges..."Beer & Pipes"
    Morten

Quote Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post
    True. If we were playing with advanced rules i will be busy trying to get far away from 1 rate and put out fire, pump water, repair and be very afraid of 1 rate broadsides. It would be a very big risk to keep on trying taking out her crew....hmmmm, thinking of some "hit & run" with the wind in full sails...
    I want to see how you outmaneuver a 1st rate on a SoG gamig mat.

Sooner or later you'll catch a broadside and you need to deal with some nice special damages you described above.

So I would change the "hit & run" into a "run" tactics.

Sometimes you have to deal with the big ones, for example to catch a salvo before your own flagship gets a raking shot.

But the try to get in musket range too and to soften the enemy 1st rate for you allied ships.

Ordinary Seaman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Kristian

Is it all who can´t see the pictures from the first battle.

I could on my computer at home, but not at work.

Well i think i will take a look later tonight
    Greetings From

Kristian. S. Hansen

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I could not see your first pictures Kristian.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Kristian

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I could not see your first pictures Kristian.
    Rob.
    Only the 1st battle report right?
    You can see from the 2nd where there are only pictues?
    Greetings From

Kristian. S. Hansen

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes the rest are fine Kristian.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can see them now Kristian.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's nice pictures of what seams to have been a good fight. I hope you have lots of fun!

Ordinary Seaman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Name
    Kristian

We did indeed.

The second game. The french was coordinating there ships better then the british.
    But next week, The british will get there revenge.
    Greetings From

Kristian. S. Hansen

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Good to hear.

Remember to take a few pictures. We love to see them.