Thread: AAR January - For Honour and Glory

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default AAR January - For Honour and Glory

Captain John Shortland, briefly looked up from his papers as his First Lieutenant, Henry Maxwell, entered the cabin. “Ah, Maxwell my good man how goes it on top?’, “Remarkably well Sir” replied Maxwell, “Prize crews have been transferred and are on their way, everything is expected to be squared away on board by the end of the watch.” Shortland nodded absently, returning to the dispatch he was in the process of completing, regarding the ships action earlier in the day. Shortland read through it again, as Maxwell waited patiently for his Captain to return to the present, after a few minutes he nodded to himself and finally put it down.

Looking up he asked with genuine concern, “How goes young Templeton?” The young Midshipman, Andrew Templeton was well liked by all the hands and had received several nasty wounds from flying splinters, “The Doctor believes he will survive” replied Maxwell. “Well that is good news, he was a deathly colour when they took him below, I must confess I feared the worse, and the remainder of the wounded?” “Several are unlikely see out the night, McKean, Richmond and Barlow; but most are expected to recover” replied Maxwell. “Very good, very good” nodded Shortland, “tell the doctor I will call by and speak with the wounded once I complete this report to the Admiral.” Very well Sir” Maxwell replied.

Shortland looked to his papers again meaning to dismiss Maxwell and continue the report, but instead put down his quill. The Captain gazed across at his new First Lieutenant in contemplation, and rising to his feet, he offered his hand saying, “I must also congratulate you Maxwell for the exemplary way you conducted yourself today, no Captain could ask for more from his first.” Maxwell took Shortland’s hand and gave a slight inclination of his head in thanks. Shortland continued, “I have nearly completed my report of our recent action for our new Admiral and I made specific mention of your conduct. I trust this will lead to a ship of your own in the future. I will see to it you have the chance to meet Philip when we join his squadron.” Shortland smiled briefly reflecting on his new commander. “He is a wonderful man and commander; I was the Masters Mate on the Sirius when he commanded the First Fleet to the colony of New South Wales, where he served as its first Governor. Rose from an ordinary seaman to a Governor of a new colony and now an Admiral, a most remarkable man.”

Maxwell released the captain’s hand, saying “You do me a most singular honour sir”. “Nonsense” replied Shortland, “it is well deserved. Now if you will excuse me I must finish this report while the action remains to the front of my mind. I would be most grateful if you could see to it I remain undisturbed for the next hour.” “Certainly Sir and can I offer you my congratulations on a most successful engagement.” Replied the Lieutenant. Maxwell turned and left his Captain in peace. Shortland looked out at the sea and allowed his mind to drift over the events of the day.

Name:  IMG_7055_resize.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  99.6 KB
    For several days a sail has been seen following HMS Concorde, turning to investigate, Captain Shortland discovers it to be in fact a French Frigate (Carmagnole) attempting to seize a friendly merchantman. The order is to set full sails and intercept, Concorde turns into the wind and heads in a northerly direction. Double shot is loaded on all guns.

Name:  IMG_7079_resize.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  148.3 KB
    Proceeding north sailing close to the wind. It is now noted the merchantman is indeed being boarded.

Name:  IMG_7083_resize.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  119.0 KB
    Continuing on the same heading

Name:  IMG_7086_resize.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  138.5 KB
    The French Frigate has taken her prize, and prepares to defend herself.

Name:  IMG_7088_resize.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  159.6 KB
    HMS Concorde turns to the west, the Carmagnole moves to engage, while the Merchantman moves in the opposite direction.

Name:  IMG_7092_resize.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  192.6 KB
    Sails are reduced to Battle sails and the Concorde turns her guns to meet the approaching French Frigate.

Name:  IMG_7096_resize.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  240.1 KB
    The French Captain has judged the situation poorly and sails directly into a disastrous raking broadside from HMS Concorde.

Name:  IMG_7100_resize.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  209.3 KB
    The damage to the Carmagnole is significant.

Name:  IMG_7109_resize.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  198.6 KB
    HMS Concorde sailing into the wind tacks to meet the Frigate and the Shortland orders marksmen to be ready and to reload the port guns with round shot. The French Frigate off balance from the previous broadside, turns and runs into HMS Concorde whilst attempting to fix her leak and ready her sharp shooters.

Name:  IMG_7115_resize.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  176.4 KB
    The French Ship is able to bring her front guns to bear and knocks out a single slot on Concorde, due to the shock of the collision musket fire is ineffective from both ships.

Name:  IMG_7117_resize.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  170.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_7124_resize.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  181.3 KB
    The situation between the two vessels is stark.

Name:  IMG_7125_resize.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  206.1 KB
    HMS Concorde prepares for boarding, however the Carmagnole sails behind the Concorde and the opportunity is lost, and fortunately as her guns are being reloaded no raking shot is to be had.

Name:  IMG_7136_resize.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  173.7 KB
    HMS Concorde reduces sail and repairs her damage. The French Captain thinking HMS Concorde is breaking off to chase the merchantman, foolishly turns into the wind to continue her attack.

Name:  IMG_7142_resize.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  158.5 KB
    HMS Concorde increases sail again and turns back into the wind, whilst the Carmagnole turns to bring her guns to bear. The merchantman turns into the wind to avoid the approaching Concorde.

Name:  IMG_7149_resize.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  232.8 KB
    The Carmagnole fires with no success. HMS Concorde being double shotted is out of range and needs to close the distance. The Frenchman takes the opportunity to repair some of her extensive damage.

Name:  IMG_7159_resize.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  170.1 KB
    HMS Concorde turns to bring her guns to bear again, whilst the French Frigate moves into the wind and turns. The prize crew on the merchantman seeing the stark situation their shipmates are facing bravely turns to face her guns to the Concorde.

Name:  IMG_7167_resize.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  151.5 KB
    Once again the French Captain has poorly judged the situation and turns to face a raking from the Concorde’s front canons. The Merchantman fires and the Concorde with no alternative returns fire with a full broadside.

Name:  IMG_7169_resize.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  193.5 KB
    The damage to the French ship is once again extensive, several fires break out, and further damage to the sails and crew losses occur.

Name:  IMG_7172_resize.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  198.7 KB
    With so few men to service the guns on the Merchantman the valiant effort came to naught.

Name:  IMG_7174_resize.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  219.3 KB
    The Concorde’s answer to the merchantman’s broadside is devastating, she strikes her colours immediately.

Name:  IMG_7175_resize.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  207.6 KB
    Shots are fired from the rigging felling more men, including the French Frigate’s captain. The Carmagnole First Lieutenant realising the situation is hopeless strikes her colours.

Name:  IMG_7185_resize.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  209.4 KB
    HMS Concorde: I forgot the rule about the enemy ship not being able to fire muskets so two of the crew damages need to be removed.

Name:  IMG_7186_resize.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  207.3 KB
    Wasn’t sure where I was supposed to take the prize crew from, so I chose the last three slots.

Name:  IMG_7189_resize.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  184.8 KB
    Not sure if my gunners enthusiasm resulted in the merchantman being sent to the bottom.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Feel free to advance any opinions, I decided to have a crack using the advanced rules, so I have probably made a few novice mistakes here and there.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations to your Captain David.
    A very neatly carried out engagement.
    Just a pity about all that damage to the merchantman.

C'est la vie.

Bligh.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It was a shame, the gun crews had their blood up and there was no stopping them.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Very nice action!
    That first raking broadside was brutally devastating, bravo!

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes it set things up very nicely!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The double shotted first raking broadside certainly seems to be the way to go.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Denmark

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Morten

Amazing story and thrilling battles. Think i will quit dinner and jump on board...
    ...put him in the brig until he's sober...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very good story. I like the narrative.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Results to follow. I see an add on to the story here.....

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Great battle, very good to read
    Last edited by KDz; 02-29-2016 at 15:35.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Add on story:

"Bos'n, pipe aboard the Swans Captain."
    "Sir".
    Peep, peep...peep.
    The portly gentleman looking rather bedraggled, wet and red in the face climbed aboard.
    "'nd you can belay that catwahlering too, where's the blasted Captain of this ship who just shot my ship out from under me?"
    Captain Shortland stepped forward;
    "Good day to you Sir. 'nd you needen't thank me for rescuing you from those French brigands. Didn't help when they fired a broadside into me and my lads were game enough to reply."
    "That may well be captain. But you shall hear from our insurers mark my words. Cargo,ship and all me blasted particulars too!"
    "I'm sure the Admiralty will sort this out, now if you will be so good to follow me to my cabin whilst my first sees to your crew. Mr Maxwell and whilst your at it see if any of these fine sailors would like to 'volunteer' for a spell with His Majesty's finest eh!"
    Before the merchant captain could say anything more, Captain Shortland shepherded him down the stairs

The nitty gritty:
    Carmagnole: Unfortunately by my reckoning this fine ship sank.

Damage:
    1st 5/4/4/3+2/2: 2 x crew
    2nd: Fire/Fire/Fire/Fire/Fire/Fire/3(+previous 2)/3+2/3,0,0: 1 crew
    3rd: 2 x crew

= 13 boxes and 3 over the top.

As a note each fire token will take out a second box before being put out. As you can only fight 1 fire then the 2nd fire counter adds an additional fire damage the turn it is not being put out.

HMS Swan:
    1st: Fire 1/3/2/2
    2nd: Fire (damage from fire 1)

= 5 boxes.

That said HMS Concorde does recover 1 crew loss from survivors!

Captain Shortland:
    Reputation +2 (defeating same size ship)
    Prize Money = 0

Turn 1: Ship takes 2 fire damage counters.
    Turn 2: Ship plans to fight 1 fire. Take a Fire damage for each fire damage token (x2)
    Turn 3: Ship tackles fire. Take a damage token from fire 1 and from fire 2 not being fought. Fire 1 is extinguished at end of turn.
    Turn 4: Ship plans to fight fire 2. Take another fire damage token for fire 2.
    Turn 5: Ship tackles fire. Take a damage token from fire 2. Fire 2 is extinguished at end of turn.

total 6 fire damage to ship! (rules page 30/31)

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Captain Shortland will certainly have some explaining to do, when he comes face to face with the Admiral.
    It's one thing to sink a French Frigate in battle and quite another to send a friendly merchantman, (captured or not), to the bottom of the ocean. Let's hope one weighs out the other and the Swan's Captain doesn't have any powerful friends in Admiralty.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

David I'm sure Captain Shortland will take it in his stride, shrug his shoulders and in the words of the French utter those immortal words, C'est L'Guerre!

Great first under the belt David. Looking forward to many more.

Neil

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very witty addendum Neil.
    Almost worth Rep in itself.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I do but try my best Captain Bligh. I will have to put my thinking cap on for any others that need my erstwhile wit.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

well played but one hint:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfocal View Post
    Name:  IMG_7167_resize.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  151.5 KB
    Once again the French Captain has poorly judged the situation and turns to face a raking from the Concorde’s front canons. The Merchantman fires and the Concorde with no alternative returns fire with a full broadside.

Name:  IMG_7169_resize.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  193.5 KB
    raking shots are only possible with the central arc!

Please try to imagine the ships position - how much guns can hit the enemy ship from these acute angle? (not much )
    Raking shots are always T-positions.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I see your point Spiessbuerger; that error probably cost me the ship.
    Odds are I may have only drawn one fire chit, and the ship would have been taken instead of being destroyed.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

well spotted missed that one. If you wish you may redraw the damage and send me the amended chits.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Neil, thanks for the offer but I think I will leave things as they stand.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

NP David. Looking forward to your next foray.