Thread: Australian fleet launch

Default Australian fleet launch

Well the Australian fleet is a go...even if it is only me at the moment. 20,000 miles of coastline to myself and not a sail to be seen on the horizon. I may have to make do with intrepid explorers from the Old World for company ;)

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Adrian

...not quite alone :)

Adrian

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

....and there is me as well!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Dave

Who are we seeing off, the Ruskies or Frogs? Some lost Yank privateers?

Dave
    Klingons on the starb'd bow Cap'n... no wait, that's not right...

We can see them all off..mind you I'm partial to the French so there could be some discord in the fleet here!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Hi

Count me in as well. Plan is to do Russian and Swedish (they might be a long time coming in the game) but will also have some Brits as well so I can defend the shores.

Paul

Welcome Paul. The fleet's a bit dispersed, but not a problem!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

And another from Vic. Makes me wonder if I've possibly met Paul & Adrian over a few biplanes? WoW Over Melbourne last year, or Conquest this year, perhaps?

To be honest, I am really looking forward to SoG - still have some fond memories of a series of games called the Hornblowewr Cup, played here in Melbourne in the late '80s - and as I'd just finished painting and rigging a couple of Langton ships when i saw the announcement of SoG, I was already revved up!

Quote Originally Posted by frpat View Post
    And another from Vic. - still have some fond memories of a series of games called the Hornblower Cup, played here in Melbourne in the late '80s
    ok now things are getting weird.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000898.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	395

As you can see from the picture..."The Hornblower Cup" won by yours truly back in the late 80's at the Western Suburbs Wargame Club in Altona....They ran the competition for several years and the only year I entered I somehow managed to win. Talk about a small world, blast from the past etc etc :D:cool:

Oh and that makes 100 posts!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

My main memory is of the commander of the squadron I was in suddenly deciding he was in big trouble as we neared the opposition's squadron, and ceding command ot me as he shot through - playing at the League at the time. So i went all death or glory on other guys' ships - Hearts of Oak were the rules at the time. Broke the line - point blank fully loaded broadside stern rake on their leader, and a full point blank bow rake on the next ship. Then I got rather badly shot up - but they bought me a beer in honour of a gutsy try!
    Really hoping these rules kick off a big interest in the era.

Anyone coming up for Cancon?

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

'Fraid not - I'll get back there one day....okay, so I visited once in about 1980, but I do mean to get back...

Well went to the first ten years or so and been back a couple of times since, but now it's usually a last minute decision. So at the moment probably not. Last time I went was 2010, visited to the War Memorial and saw the fantastic WW1 film by Peter Jackson (wrong forum I know).

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Wrong forum, sure - but a great bit of film!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Have pledged Capitan level in the Kickstarter campaign. August before we can fire the first broadsides though.

Captain level? Too rich for me. But I did chip in $90

Captain level and yes s bit rich, might have to sell some Wog/wow.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Stuart

Well kickstarter is over and the comment threads on there have died down so I need a place to call home. It is nice to see some Aussies getting involved.

Good to see you here Stuart!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Wilfred

Wearing in the dry North West
    Happy to be part of the Line with the Boys from "Our Lady's Light Brigade" in Dalby Queensland

Welcome Wilfred your first post but you joined nearly a year ago. A man of few words?

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Wilfred

Indeed.

Ordinary Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Craig

Sydney (Baulkham Hills) here. Just the starter set so far, but I'll be expanding my fleet as soon as the second wave ships are released.

--
    Craig

Welcome Craig, we have a couple of members in ACT but you seem to be the first to declare for NSW. Hopefully you'll have more company soon!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Greetings all!

Permission to come aboard mateys!

I have just updated my profile so you can suss me out there. I have just obtained my SoG game following on from my grandson's interest in Wings of Glory at Cancon, and being an expartriate Prisoner of Mother England, I am obviously going RN, mind you, I would like to explore a Russian fleet too.

At the moment I am exercising my ships and getting familiar with the rules. I live in a somewhat remote location between Port MacQuarie and Taree so getting opponents is a tad difficult. If anyone live nearby, let me know.

Just one thing, I cannot find where on the profile page to insert an avatar. It's not my fault, it's entirely due to old age! (LOL.) So, if anyone can assist I will be most grateful.

Incidentally, I noticed at the end of each entry on the list of fleets there is a number/number. Is the latter an indication of the numbers in that fleet?

Take care and keep well mates

Brad

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Disregard the note about an avatar. I found it on another page.

Yours aye

Brad

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Hi Paul

I notice you use a Russian ship for your avatar. Do you have a particular interest in the Russian Navy?

Yours aye

Brad

The number/number on the national fleet I think refers to total number signed on as from that region, so for Australia 37, and the number of "active" members...something like the number who have posted in the last few weeks or month to this groups page.

Anyway welcome to the forum Brad

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

That means the Germans are way ahead! Pity they never had a real blue water Napoleonic fleet. I guess we could always pretend however!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Hi all, just posting to let you know of another Australian Sails of Glory player. My posts on my blog can be fund here: http://onesidedminiaturewargamingdis...s%20of%20Glory

That gives a good picture of what I've been doing with Sails of Glory. I'm lucky to play a bit with my club, NWS http://napoleonicwargamingsociety.blogspot.com.au/

Still early days with the game system and I will probably drift off to try some other naval rules now I have found a method I am happy with to liberate the models from the plinths.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Mark and welcome to the Anchorage!

Your blog is great and you've done some interesting things with your ships, bases, etc. Quite nice!!

Welcome mark, not certain but you might be first to join from the West. Cool blog!

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thanks. There are a few players over here. Tactics in the Perth CBD stocks the models.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Trevor

Ahoy thar me Arties!
    Thought I'd better get some sunlight! Been hiding down here in the bilge awhile, just lurking about eating rats. This looks like an interesting game, I used to play lots of Wooden Ships & Iron Men with GHQ miniatures back in the Eighties. I actually jointly organised that Hornblower Cup WSWA, Daniel with Paul Oakes who was working at Napoleons Military Bookshop in Melbourne! I think I bowed out in the first round though.

I really want to get into this game but the Historical Gaming action in Geelong is virtually non existent and on top of collecting Wings of War/Glory WW1 I'm scared as good as the game could be it will become too much of a shelf sitter. Is there much interest in this game in Melbourne? I could pop up for some games if I knew when they were on. Anyone at WSWA play with any regularity?

Cheers
    Trevor

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Trevor. You may like to introduce yourself in the general section as well as here in the Australian fleet section.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Trevor. Welcome to the Anchorage.

You might want to check out the solo rules section under the campaign sub group. Folks here have developed some fairly robust solo rules and we've been tweaking them as we move to a larger solo campaign kicking off next year.

Hi Trevor, welcome to the Anchorage! I live in Melbourne but in Langwarrin which is about as far as you can be from someone in Geelong and remain in the same city I'm not aware of any other active players here, but havent been to WSWA for years since I moved down this way. Best bet is here in the Australian section of the members board or maybe an enquiry to Milsims as they have sold out a couple of times with starter sets (though individual ship sales have been slow they tell me...might be some on sale in a few months cheap?).

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Robert

Hi All

I've now have the starter set plus some additional ships from release 1 and 2, extra counters etc. Only managed one trial game so far but keen for more. Based near Penrith in NSW with the Tin Soldier there my local gaming store.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, welcome to the Anchorage. Hopefully you can hook up with some others players around Penrith. Feel free to ask any questions in the forums, you'll get answers very quickly!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Rob, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hello Rob. Welcome aboard!