Thread: Rules question from a new player.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

Default Rules question from a new player.

Hi everyone. I got a copy of sog for Christmas. So far we have had a few games and it is fantastic! We decided to jump in the deep end and go with the advanced rules. During one of the games a situation came up and we had no idea how to proceed.

During a particularly bloody combat the enemy ship had one of its masts destroyed. The next turn the wind changed and he was now facing into it. Which move should he do? The red move for facing into the wind, or the broken mast move? The mast move has no numbers on it so how would you know which red move to take?

Thanks for the help!

Ps, lesson 6 from playing sog: a frigate makes a very poor choice for boarding a ship of the line, even a wounded one!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Hugh.
    Firstly welcome to the Anchorage and the British Fleet, even though you are a bit far away. Strange to say, this very incident occurred in one of my games for the first time this Christmas, and after some discussion we decided that with the mast and sails over the side acting as a sea anchor or drag, we would proceed with just the mast damage card. I don't know if this is correct, but it worked O.K. for us. No doubt some more expert member than I will come along to give us the definitive answer.
    Meanwhile, why don't we repair to the Wardroom for a jug or two of virtual ale.
    Rob.

Should be a randomly drawn red maneuver card in this case.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Greetings Hugh. Welcome aboard the Anchorage!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Longino

That never happened to me before. It's great to have that answer before the problem arises!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for clearing that one up Sven.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    Hi everyone. I got a copy of sog for Christmas. So far we have had a few games and it is fantastic! We decided to jump in the deep end and go with the advanced rules. During one of the games a situation came up and we had no idea how to proceed.

During a particularly bloody combat the enemy ship had one of its masts destroyed. The next turn the wind changed and he was now facing into it. Which move should he do? The red move for facing into the wind, or the broken mast move? The mast move has no numbers on it so how would you know which red move to take?

Thanks for the help!

Ps, lesson 6 from playing sog: a frigate makes a very poor choice for boarding a ship of the line, even a wounded one!
    Welcome aboard Sir! I hope you thoroughly enjoy more games of SofG - I, too, was introduced to the game using most of the advanced rules, and I rarely play anything else now.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Coincidently we had exactly the same problem at our gaming round yesterday evening: All members of my fleet had broken masts at nearly the exact same moment and turned in the wind, so we had the chance to choose the one of the red movement cards that fit the situation best. We played a custom scenario with a chase and manoeuvring around a lot of reefs and small islands, so we had a huge advantage, being able to make surprising, quick turns. The enemy team naturally felt humbugged but none of us knew how to combine the "broken masts" and "movement against the wind" rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Should be a randomly drawn red maneuver card in this case.
    Sven, thank you!
    Next time we'll try that rule; it really makes a lot more sense!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Hugh

How is the manufacturer about replying to rules queries?

I've played 4 games so far and loved them! I even tried to get my wife involved, but apparently a napoleonic era naval captaincy simulator ship to ship combat game is too nerdy for her! Women eh?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Hugh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hjl View Post
    How is the manufacturer about replying to rules queries?

I've played 4 games so far and loved them! I even tried to get my wife involved, but apparently a Napoleonic era naval captaincy simulator ship to ship combat game is too nerdy for her! Women eh?
    The response can be a bit hit and miss, but we do have several contacts within the firm or who have tested the product.Several of them are members either on the Anchorage or Wings. If they spot a post they generally give a response. This includes Andrea Angiolino, the originator of the game, who has written a number of lengthy answers to some of our questions.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage!

I had that same situation in one of the solo-missions this summer. That was due to touching shore while tacking so it was a one in three done-for situation.
    Or a little more since a straight move would probably have worked for just one turn.
    Last edited by TexaS; 01-05-2016 at 02:12.