David

Congratulations anyway, Chris!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Congrats just the same. Maybe after four years they'll start taking the medals back?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can't understand why not a medal?
    Very well done sir. You are a credit to the uniform.OH sorry Pirates don't have one do they?
    Still a very good show.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I can't understand why not a medal?
    Very well done sir. You are a credit to the uniform.OH sorry Pirates don't have one do they?
    Still a very good show.
    Rob.
    Actually we do have uniforms. We call it 'Business Casual'.
    –English Proverb

I admire your Tenacity Chris, but if memory serves, last year it took a while before the 3 year medals were issued

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I admire your Tenacity Chris, but if memory serves, last year it took a while before the 3 year medals were issued
    Tenacity Gunner! Chris never told me he had Tenacity. In fact I never even knew Ares had released that one. What rate is she?
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Actually we do have uniforms. We call it 'Business Casual'.
    That's far too subtle for me Jim.
    Never mind we'll hang you anyway.
    Rob.

Tenacity Gunner! Chris never told me he had Tenacity. In fact I never even knew Ares had released that one. What rate is she?
    Bligh.
    If its Chris's it must be 1st Rate.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    If its Chris's it must be 1st Rate.
    Guess you must be right there Ed.
    Rob.

Well done, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

Pity there's no medal for that.... ;)
    Make a repaint of your "3 Years of Service and 1500 Posts" - medal.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Well done Chris.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Congratulations, Chris.

You bring much to discussions here.

Medal is forthcoming. We've not had to issue these until now.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The way my sinuses have been malfunctioning lately, I may not live to see the 4-year medal release.... :P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I hope it is nothing too serious Chris. I get sinus infections most winters. They can be very debilitating.
    Hope you are feeling better soon
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quite a few folks here in Wisconsin have a nasty long term cold these days. It's been four weeks for me now (sinuses, coughing, bleh energy). I can sympathize and hopefully you'll 'live' to see your new award?
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Today was a rough sinus day in central Illinois. This bizarre weather does not help.

I really need to get the sinus surgery done this spring.

Best wishes to all from a fellow sinus sufferer.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Eric,
    They won't operate on mine until they have exhausted all the steroid remedies. These damp cold winters play havoc with my sinuses. Then I get a chest infection, and then it's Spring again.
    Rob.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sorry to hear, Rob. Damp and cold sound horrible.

The surgery will help due to wider nasal passages, but it won't treat allergies. Moving from the city to central Illinois where we're currently surrounded by farmland has wreaked havoc on the sinuses. In years to come, we'll relocate to a desert area. When I was stationed in the desert, it was awesome regarding health.

Cheers Eric,
    They won't operate on mine until they have exhausted all the steroid remedies. These damp cold winters play havoc with my sinuses. Then I get a chest infection, and then it's Spring again.
    Rob.
    Watch it, they find steroids in your systems, they'll take you guys off the team, and we can't afford to loose you.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Sorry to hear, Rob. Damp and cold sound horrible.

The surgery will help due to wider nasal passages, but it won't treat allergies. Moving from the city to central Illinois where we're currently surrounded by farmland has wreaked havoc on the sinuses. In years to come, we'll relocate to a desert area. When I was stationed in the desert, it was awesome regarding health.
    Plenty of room in Arizona Eric. At least 15+% of the people in my town are what we call snowbirds (from the upper U.S. and Canada).

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ed, Arizona is a definite contender. It all depends upon the nature of each state government at the time when we relocate. Not to get political, but living in Illinois ....

The last handgun I bought in Prescott Arizona, I had to wait a whole 20 minutes for a computer check before they handed it to me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The sinus surgeries have really helped me, the last one 10 years ago was done by a real pro who put together a custom designed coating which kills anything thinking about visiting my sinus. 10 years, no colds or sinus infections! AZ it's been good for me and the elves! The house next door is vacant . . .

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I hope that an effective treatment can be found for you, Eric.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    The sinus surgeries have really helped me, the last one 10 years ago was done by a real pro who put together a custom designed coating which kills anything thinking about visiting my sinus. 10 years, no colds or sinus infections! AZ it's been good for me and the elves! The house next door is vacant . . .
    Glad to hear that worked for you Dave.
    I doubt that there will be anything like that on the NHS.
    Rob.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Custom-designed coating, David? That would be incredible.

Since we're on this theme:

How do you make a handkerchief dance?

Blow a little boogie into it.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yeah, they took a sample of the culture that was growing in my sinus for decades and found the right means to kill it, I am told everyone has a unique culture growing in their sinus and the only final way to kill it is to adjust the meds for that one strange bug. OTC meds are too general these days, sounds like a good way to make $ for them, but then it has worked . . .

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks, Dave. I will mention this to my doctor the next time I see him.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    Yeah, they took a sample of the culture that was growing in my sinus for decades and found the right means to kill it, I am told everyone has a unique culture growing in their sinus and the only final way to kill it is to adjust the meds for that one strange bug. OTC meds are too general these days, sounds like a good way to make $ for them, but then it has worked . . .
    Ah, in the business, we call that Culture and Sensitivity testing, where the lab finds the right AB for the relevant bug.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    Ah, in the business, we call that Culture and Sensitivity testing, where the lab finds the right AB for the relevant bug.
    At first, I read this as: Ah, in business, we call that Culture and Sensitivity training. I'm not sure if something Freudian just happened.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good grief Eric! If you went on a course like that you would never be cultured or sensitive again.
    Look what man management courses do to nice decent ordinary people.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Congrats Chris, I raise a glass of Port to you
    Apologies for tardiness just seen this one

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Good grief Eric! If you went on a course like that you would never be cultured or sensitive again.
    Look what man management courses do to nice decent ordinary people.
    Rob.
    I taught two Organizational Behavior courses this semester. I kept reinforcing that what we were covering was to enable my students to interact with others in more gracious and considerate ways as they are gaining a better understanding of emotional intelligence, appreciation for the human condition, communication skills, etc. I received some interesting feedback from the adult degree completion program students as to how the course positively impacted their marriages, interactions with their children, health, etc., let alone their experiences at work. It is amazing what happens when you train managers to care about others more than themselves. Instead of undermining authority, they earn respect and trust. The more you invest in your people, the more they can invest in the organization's mission. The math does not seem difficult to understand, but it is to those who have strong self-serving biases. The one thing I keep clear, though, is that investing in others is simply the right thing to do, and to do so accordingly, i.e. not to get something in return; the payoffs are a natural consequence. In the end, if others take advantage, let them. I rather live a life of giving than perpetually watching my back and calculating every interaction to maximize personal gain. Life is too short and fragile for such games.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I taught two Organizational Behavior courses this semester. I kept reinforcing that what we were covering was to enable my students to interact with others in more gracious and considerate ways as they are gaining a better understanding of emotional intelligence, appreciation for the human condition, communication skills, etc. I received some interesting feedback from the adult degree completion program students as to how the course positively impacted their marriages, interactions with their children, health, etc., let alone their experiences at work. It is amazing what happens when you train managers to care about others more than themselves. Instead of undermining authority, they earn respect and trust. The more you invest in your people, the more they can invest in the organization's mission. The math does not seem difficult to understand, but it is to those who have strong self-serving biases. The one thing I keep clear, though, is that investing in others is simply the right thing to do, and to do so accordingly, i.e. not to get something in return; the payoffs are a natural consequence. In the end, if others take advantage, let them. I rather live a life of giving than perpetually watching my back and calculating every interaction to maximize personal gain. Life is too short and fragile for such games.
    Hear Hear!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I may have to look into getting my sinuses 'rootered -- add it to the ever-growing list of "S*** in my head which has never worked properly".

As to allergies: The big one for me is a certain kind of mustard seed... which only grows in the Desert Southwest....

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I had an allergy test a couple of years ago. When the staff walked back into the room, they started laughing because I has massive welts that were readily visible from the door. It turns out I am allergic to dust, some types of grass or something like that, and I think mold. I told my boss the results showed I was allergic to meetings, but he didn't buy it.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Good to hear of improvements. I really wish good health to all in this wonderful community.