Thread: Clarification of rules help

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

Default Clarification of rules help

Hi all
    I'm new to the game and trying to get my head around some aspects of the rules.

Watching the clips on YouTube hasn't really helped due to different player cards.

Could I have clarification on some points.

Damage.
    I understand that a damage counter is issued when damage is occurred and that that damage can be fixed by issuing action counters.

Question ...... how long does it take to fix the damage ...... some Youtube videos say 2 turns some say 1

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

In the rules it offers 2 options.
    Firing, reloading, pumping water are ordered in the action phase of the same turn

Extinguishing fires and repairs are different. You plan the repair/extinguish action in any turn after you receive it, then it stays till the next turn, therefore blocking one of your possible actions for this turn, but at the end of this second turn, the originally ordered extinguish fire/repair action is completed. Read page 31-2 in the rulebook for more detail

In my club, we think this rule is a bit clunky, so if you order a repair/extinguish action it is removed at the end of the turn it was ordered.
    We do this as its - in our opinion - easier to play!

Incidentally, it was also pointed out to me this week that even a single point of damage in a hull box means you use the next, undamaged box's firepower!
    We think this is a silly rule, so ignore it!

As you see, we all have our modifications to the basic rules, which doesn't matter if all the players are aware and agree to it!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

That makes it so much clearer.
    I thought that all actions took place over two turns.
    Read rules so many times and missed that one line " of the same turn" for Ammo

Thank you so much

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

I agree with the damage box rule Richard. Otherwise you might as well strike the box off then and there. I think that if it's stillgot life in it it's still working and when it is finally gone it is just that, gone.

Some of the repairs are more complicated to complete than others so take more time, ie delayed and take 2 turns. However as Richard has pointed out on friendly games as long as all players agree house rules may be used instead.

Neil

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Obviously you can employ any house rules you want, but I'm sure Ares intended the firepower ruling for a good reason. Perhaps David M. or Andrea could comment, but clearly the box can still soak up damage even though the guns are no longer functional at that level of efficiency.

Striking off a box completely with any level of damage would certainly speed up a game, but I think SoG is pretty fast and bloody as it is?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

As always, I say Go with what works for you! --we use rule modifications for Wings of glory too, as it improves game play for our little group!

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

My concern is that a box is useless for firing even with only 1 damage. Can understand for a burden 2 sloop but a 1st rate?

I might try a simple house rule of half the burden or more damage and the box cannot fire.
    Last edited by Union Jack; 12-06-2015 at 02:41.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

My only concern is the added complexity of working out 1/2 boxes? If it works for you tho' ......

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

Played my first full game yesterday. The game flowed pretty well but found it very long trying to play two ships each. Might have better to play one ship each for starters.

One concern was raised from playing the game and that was the act of entanglement. I understand that when two ships touch you draw a damage counter to determine if they remain entangled or in fact they are free.

OK .... so the damage counter says that are free.............. surely issuing any type of movement card will still result in them touching if the ships in the first place collided head on.

How do other players overcome this issue

Ian

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Well, once you draw an appropriate chit in a subsequent turn to become untangled, I just assume the ships are able to move through each other. I place the ships where their next planned move takes them, or as close as possible to that position. I would only test for entanglement again if the ship models have separated completely, and then move back into contact. All the rules are on page 35 of the rulebook, though they do not cover every possible situation!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I assume the same Dave they just rub alongside if head on and then continue on their way.
    Rob.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Just talking for solo games here.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    My only concern is the added complexity of working out 1/2 boxes? If it works for you tho' ......

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

Now that makes a lot of sense Rob

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

OK .... just a SoL against SoL game.

OK then ..... I get a damaged rudder so place a token in the special damage box ............... no problem with that

I then get another rudder damage ..... ok ...... another special damage token ....... plus a broken mast token

Now ....... a broken mast under normal circumstances can be repaired BUT only once per game and the token stays in the special damage box.

Now ..... if I get the two rudder damage and therefore the additional broken mast token and I fix the rudder ...... does the damage mast token stay in the box as per normal damage rules for a broken mast.

I think I've explained that right

Ian

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have made a chart for using the Standard and advance rules, which I think explains most of what you are asking.
    Well I hope so, drop me your email via pm and Ill send you a copy so you can see if it helps.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

If a ship is entangled pending a boarding can it still fire on other ships within range that are not involved with the boarding action

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I, for one, think its ok to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by ijo58 View Post
    If a ship is entangled pending a boarding can it still fire on other ships within range that are not involved with the boarding action
    As far as I can tell, once the boarding action takes place on page 38 (resolving the boarding) the rules show all damage counters equal to the ships burden are used, which makes sense because once boarded, crewmen are fighting for their lives. And since the full value of the ships burden (I assume that means all available seamen) are used, there wouldn't be sailors available to man the guns.
    But you should notice that I used the word assume.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Ian

Makes a lot of sense to me Gunner. Thank you

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    As far as I can tell, once the boarding action takes place on page 38 (resolving the boarding) the rules show all damage counters equal to the ships burden are used, which makes sense because once boarded, crewmen are fighting for their lives. And since the full value of the ships burden (I assume that means all available seamen) are used, there wouldn't be sailors available to man the guns.
    But you should notice that I used the word assume.
    I agree with your logic, but I humbly submit that loaded guns should be allowed to fire, as only a couple of men with linstocks would be needed to walk down the decks firing the guns. The mass of sailors needed to load and relay the guns are not needed to fire them.
    Additionally, in a boarding action, the men on the upper deck would indeed be 'fighting for their lives', but the lower deck men would have to be organised and armed to contribute to the melee IMO.
    The loss of crew in boarding actions is loss of morale, if I remember the rules correctly, so maybe only the marines, deck crew and topmen need be involved.

This is only my opinion too, so feel free to disagree.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is also interesting to read historical descriptions of boarding actions where the lower gun battery continues to play on the boarded ship until it strikes.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It is also interesting to read historical descriptions of boarding actions where the lower gun battery continues to play on the boarded ship until it strikes.
    Rob.
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about that! Very good!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now about Nelson's bridge. I almost got a chance to try that out yesterday. How the heck would we work out the stats for that?
    Maybe minus 10% of your burdon to account for the Prize crew left on the Bridging ship?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    Sounds like Master and commander -The far side of the world.

And that's why I put Assume in bold letters.

PS And you would have to cot your broadside way down.

PSS Why would anyone try to sink a ship that they're boarding and trying to capture?
    Last edited by Gunner; 12-11-2015 at 13:22.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Sounds like Master and commander -The far side of the world.

And that's why I put Assume in bold letters.
    A wise move!, I have learnt from bitter experience that when I think I know something, I do not yet know as much as I ought!.
    I really should read more on Napoleonic naval warfare!!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

PSS Why would anyone try to sink a ship that they're boarding and trying to capture?
    Not to sink Ed, but to dissuade the enemy gunners from manning their pieces, and doing the same to a ship they were not trying to capture.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

This may be a silly question but as a relative newcomer to the game (only played four times) here goes.
    Can a Red Border card be chosen instead of a normal manoeuvre card even if not In Irons?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nope, the red border cards are the replacement for the cards you planned to use before going into the wind ( in irons)

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Thanks Chris.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

A nice little house rule to add in there Richard. Larger ships could use their lower gundecks to fire one last broadside if the guns were fully loaded before boarding took place. So some figure would have to be worked out to represent a partial broadside, perhaps using one of the two other figures, fore/aft?

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    I agree with your logic, but I humbly submit that loaded guns should be allowed to fire, as only a couple of men with linstocks would be needed to walk down the decks firing the guns. The mass of sailors needed to load and relay the guns are not needed to fire them.
    Additionally, in a boarding action, the men on the upper deck would indeed be 'fighting for their lives', but the lower deck men would have to be organised and armed to contribute to the melee IMO.
    The loss of crew in boarding actions is loss of morale, if I remember the rules correctly, so maybe only the marines, deck crew and topmen need be involved.

This is only my opinion too, so feel free to disagree.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I have made a chart for using the Standard and advance rules, which I think explains most of what you are asking.
    Well I hope so, drop me your email via pm and Ill send you a copy so you can see if it helps.
    How about sharing your chart by placing it in the Files section, Chris?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    How about sharing your chart by placing it in the Files section, Chris?
    Its more of a Sequence of Play David for both sets of rules, I was waiting for feedback as to its use before doing so, pm me your email and Ill send to you to have a look at.
    The reason I made them is that, for me, its important to follow the correct sequence and the rules then fall into place.

Well thats the theory anyway :)