Page 81 of 96 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 4777

Thread: Favourite Nautical related tipple.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A third offering from the Ghostfish Brewing Company - It Came from the Haze - a deep hazy golden IPA. Who knows what might emerge from the haze at sea?

Name:  it-came-from-the-haze-3-423x1024.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  118.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Santiam Brewing Company of Salem, Oregon, U.S.A. manufacture Pirate Stout.

Name:  piratewebsite_orig.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  93.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From Sweden comes Captain Nemo's Sudden Death IPAAAHH .

Name:  CaptNemo.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  147.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 08-05-2020 at 12:41.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Maine Craft Distilling of Portland, Maine, USA manufacture a spiced rum named Queequeg.

Name:  Queequeg-Spiced-Rum.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  10.8 KB

Queequeg is the harpooner on board the whaling ship Pequod in Herman Melville's famous novel Moby Dick.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Also from Maine Craft Distilling there is Cannon Shot Cinnamon Flavoured Vodka.

Name:  cannonshot_product_draft.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  73.6 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Maine Craft Distillery also manufacture Tashtego white rum.

Name:  tashtego_page_bottle.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  69.3 KB

Tashtego is another harpooner in the crew of the Pequod in Moby Dick.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From the Wadworth Brewery in Devizes, Wiltshire comes Horizon a criso golden ale.

Name:  Horizon_for_website.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  81.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From Flight Deck Brewing of Brunswick, Maine, USA comes Subhunter IPA.

Name:  b9314cd6f0035d1b9ea84f362d424f56_c_921748221_640x640.jpeg
Views: 837
Size:  201.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 08-11-2020 at 04:03.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

From the Karl Strauss brewing Company of San Diego, California comes Wreck Alley Imperial Stout.

Name:  WreckAlley_detail.png
Views: 790
Size:  48.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Wreck - Preservation ale is produced in limited quantities at James Squires' Brewhouse in Sydney, Australia from yeast grown from 220 year old yeast salvaged from beer bottles found aboard the wreck of the ship Sydney Cove, which ran aground at Tasmania's Preservation Island in 1797.

Name:  shipwreck-beer.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  125.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another interesting bit of history Dave. Thanks for that little nugget.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is a similar story behind Wreck Ale from Mikkeller of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Name:  WreckAle.jpeg
Views: 921
Size:  142.1 KB

In 1861 the ship S/S NEVA was on her way to St. Petersburg, Russia, with very valuable cargo. Ale from more than 30 breweries being part of the shipment. Off the coast of the Danish island Laesoe she met the Danish S/S L.N. Hvidt in stormy weather. NEVA’s captain North misunderstood the signals from L.N. Hvidt and was hit hard by the Danish vessel. S/S NEVA went down in less than 10 minutes, all hands were saved by L.N. Hvidt.

More than 150 years later the Danish diving team Ternen, lead by the cultural explorer and treasure hunter Stig Thornsohn, found the golden drops of beer from Hull, England, brewed in 1861. The yeast had survived 70 meters at the bottom of the sea. When the team pulled up the first couple of bottles they popped open, but they managed to find a way to salvage the rest, so that the liquid stayed inside.

“The old wrecks have so many good salty stories to tell, and we thought it would be a unique opportunity to let people taste history,” says Stig Thornsohn, Dive Team Ternen Project director.

Name:  1574674494-img-4748.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  110.0 KB

He then contacted the yeast- and fermentation producers White Labs, who analyzed the beer to re-create color, alcohol strength and determined which types of hops and malt had originally been used. They managed to isolate and keep the yeast alive to make it ready to produce beer again mirroring historical recipes and ingredients used in England at that time. The original recipe was then carefully adjusted by pioneer brewers at Mikkeller.

Mikkeller of course could not resist the opportunity to help recreate the historical beer.

“When Stig contacted us and told us about the project, we said yes immediately. It is deeply fascinating and a fun project to recreate such an old beer found at the bottom of the sea,” says Mikkel Borg Bjergsø, founder and CEO of Mikkeller.

https://mikkeller.com/news/beer-made...east-from-1861
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-17-2020 at 01:14.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Whitby Brewery in Whitby, North Yorkshire produced Whitby Whaler - a fruity bitter.

Name:  bottlewhalersq-w800.png
Views: 1527
Size:  151.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Whitby Brewery also produces Smuggler's Gold, a golden ale.

Name:  whitbyb-bottle-smugglersgold-2-w800.png
Views: 703
Size:  278.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's offering is....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Saltwick Nab is a full bodied dark ruby ale manufactured by the Whitby Brewery.

Name:  whitbyb-bottle-saltwicknab-copy-w800.png
Views: 740
Size:  268.3 KB

It is named after the alum quarries in Saltwick Bay at Whitby. An alum is a type of chemical compound, usually a hydrated double sulphate salt of aluminium. The quarries are now closed but they are protected as an important site for fossils. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwick_Bay

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

We have already seen two beers called 'Old Ironsides' in paragraphs #1180 and #3753 but here is another one, a barrel-aged bock called 'Old Ironside' from Fiskhop, Hamburg, Germany.

Name:  OldIronside.png
Views: 711
Size:  294.4 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-22-2020 at 23:51.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 08-23-2020 at 03:22. Reason: Picture vanished!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Abbeydale Brewery Ltd. of Sheffield, South Yorkshire manufactures Voyager IPA, described as a Citra, Centennial & Mosaic IPA.

Name:  32-abbeydale-voyager-keg-clip-21---citcentmos-social_270x360.png
Views: 691
Size:  132.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A lighthouse has been the salvation of many ships. Here is Salvation Steadfast Stout from the Abbeydale Brewery Ltd.

Name:  32-abbeydale-brewery----salvation---steadfaststout----keg-clip---web-social_270x360.png
Views: 2193
Size:  121.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Those navigating by the stars would recognize the constellation of Orion. Here is Orion pale ale from Abbeydale Brewery ltd. in Sheffield.

Name:  32-abbeydalebrewery-geoglyph-orion-web-social_270x360.png
Views: 1111
Size:  166.1 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Admiral Kolchak beer from Irkutsk, Siberia.

Name:  AdmiralKolchak.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  20.0 KB

Alexander Vasilyevich Kolchak KB (Russian: Алекса́ндр Васи́льевич Колча́к; 16 November [O.S. 4 November] 1874 – 7 February 1920) was an Imperial Russian admiral, military leader and polar explorer who served in the Imperial Russian Navy and fought in the Russo-Japanese War and the First World War. During the Russian Civil War, he established an anti-communist government in Siberia—later the Provisional All-Russian Government—and was recognised as the "Supreme Leader and Commander-in-Chief of All Russian Land and Sea Forces" by the other leaders of the White movement from 1918 to 1920.
    From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Kolchak

Name:  IAk7Koi.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  20.2 KB
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-27-2020 at 22:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Epic Brewing company of Auckland, New Zealand manufacture a 19th Century style English IPA named Message in a Bottle. I am pretty sure that they do not put a message in each bottle with the beer. :)

Name:  262a0224c37cf5509dd7c7103687753c_320x320.jpeg
Views: 610
Size:  32.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 08-31-2020 at 07:20.