Page 35 of 96 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 4777

Thread: Favourite Nautical related tipple.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not something to drink when the Press Gang are in town.

Name:  111658.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  9.7 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Name:  HardysKiss.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  174.8 KB

The brewers wrote," Thomas Hardy was a Royal Navy officer who took part in many prominent sea battles before rising to the rank of Flag Captain to Admiral Lord Nelson, for whom he commanded H.M.S. Victory at the battle of Trafalgar in October 1805.

Nelson immortalised Hardy by saying "Kiss me Hardy" as Nelson lay dying below decks and from then on overshadowed Hardy in history.

Subsequently Hardy went on to become Vice Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, first naval lord."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that one is clever Dave!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can't top that, but I can give you the........

Name:  beer_79602.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  62.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Name:  Brandyweb.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  167.7 KB

About this the brewers wrote," Lionel Lukin is credited with the invention of the first 'unimmersible' lifeboat and in November 1785 his prototype went to Ramsgate for sea trials at the hands of a local pilot.

The pilot thought the boat ideal for use in heavy weather. At the time, the smuggling of goods from France was rife along the Kent coast. The crafty pilot realised that Lukin's boat could be used when the Custom's cutters were unable to put to sea.

The end result was that Lionel's lifeboat fared extremely well but was impounded in a foreign port never to return."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Something to raise the spirits if not the anchor.

Name:  1991916_orig.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  181.6 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Today a heroine of the sea.

Name:  Grace.gif
Views: 893
Size:  33.1 KB

The brewers wrote," Light house keeper, William Darling and his daughter Grace were on duty on the North East Coast when the drifting S.S. orfarshire struck rocks and broke up in heavy seas. At 5.OOam on the 7th of September 1838 Grace spotted survivors on Big Harcar Rock and she and her father rowed to their rescue through heavy seas and high winds. Eight survivors were brought to
    safety by an exhausted Grace. Both father and daughter were awarded gold gallantry medals with Grace becoming Britain's greatest heroine, only to die four years later, aged only 26, of T.B."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I did at least keep the Lighthouse theme Dave.

Name:  18403489_1.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  130.7 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Today's drink honours Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki expedition.

Name:  Pacifica.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  196.0 KB

The brewers wrote,"The 7th August 1947 saw the raft Kon-Tiki grounded on a Tuamoto island reef. The primitive craft had been constructed, mainly of Balsa Wood, to demonstrate Thor Heyerdahl's theory that ancient civilisations had made long sea voyages using only sea currents and the wind.

Thor and his companions sailed 4300 miles in 101 days across the Pacific, from South America to the Polynesian Islands.

Fittingly Thor, a Norwegian Ethnographer and adventurer was a Master Brewer's son, obviously reaching parts that other Ethnographers couldn't reach."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Name:  1491947802458.png
Views: 836
Size:  361.4 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A famous story.

Name:  Drake.gif
Views: 833
Size:  23.8 KB

The brewers wrote," Drake was told of the Spanish invasion whilst playing bowls. He finished his game before his fleet harried the spaniards back up the Channel to Calais. There they took refuge for the night until the fire ships were sent amongst them to force them out into the open sea.

Strong winds then finished Drake’s job by forcing the spaniards up the east coast of England and right around to Ireland leaving many wrecked on the rocky coast.

A victory for hearty English ale over Spanish plonk."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another beer associated with Sir Francis.

Name:  craft-beer-drakes-release-jolly-roger.png
Views: 821
Size:  151.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Today we remember Captain Cook.

Name:  Kiwi.gif
Views: 839
Size:  28.3 KB

The brewers citation was," On the 6th October 1769 a surgeon’s boy at the mast head of Captain Cook’s H.M.S. Endeavour spotted the coast line of New Zealand to claim it for our Country.

Cook once said that his aim was to go “further than any man has been before me and as far as I think it is possible for a man to go” Move over Neil Armstrong & Co. This seafarer charted the entire New Zealand coast in six months by sailing 2400 miles before coming back home."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one brings us up to date more Dave.

Rob.Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  55.2 KB

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That is a good one, Rob.

Since the Dunkirk movie is in the cinemas at the moment, this beer is quite appropriate:

Name:  Dover.gif
Views: 794
Size:  27.9 KB

The brewers wrote," Admiral Ramsey was responsible for wartime Naval operations in the Dover Straights and he spearheaded Operation Dynamo to bring backour troops from the Dunkirk beaches.

He and his staff assembled 850 boats, mostly private fishing boats and pleasure cruisers, and by the 4th of June ‘the miracle of little ships’ had rescued 338,226 men. Ramsey went on to be Naval Commander of the return fixture, the Normandy Landings, but unfortunately, he later died before the war ended in an air crash."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another rather obscure one.

Name:  beer_67778.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  17.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Today we celebrate an engineer, whose engines have powered many ships and perhaps cost him his life.

Name:  Maschine.gif
Views: 784
Size:  27.7 KB

The brewers wrote,"Rudolph Diesel, born in Paris in 1858, patented an engine in 1882 that was to bear his name and make him a fortune. It was more efficient than any other method for driving locomotives and ships.
    In 1913 he sailed for England for talks with the Admiralty. He disappeared in mid Channel and his body was found 10 days later with no cause of death being apparent.
    This led to speculation ranging from suicide to murder, either by wealthy coal owners or the German Government to prevent the Royal Navy re-equipping with diesel engines."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nothing so esoteric as your post Dave, but something which owed its success to Diesel.

Name:  cleverman4.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  164.1 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A piece of history for London boatmen.

Name:  Thames.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  171.4 KB

The brewers wrote," Thomas Doggett, an 18 Century Irish actor used the services of Thames watermen as water taxis during his daily routine.
    In gratitude for their services he established a race in 1715 for six newly qualified watermen. They raced their boats on the 1st August 1715 from the Swan Inn London Bridge to the Swan Inn Chelsea, a distance of 4.5 miles.
    The prize, a traditional waterman's red coat adorned with a large silver badge, went to the now forgotten winner of that first event
    The Doggett's Coat & Badge Race, now run in July, is the oldest continuous sporting challenge in the World."

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a dogeared coat and badge Dave!
    However, for today's ale ........

Name:  2013_04_BMBC-66.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  81.3 KB

A dogeared hulk.

Bligh.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

How deep is your wreck, Rob?

Name:  16908622_268081033605348_5355209552457367552_n.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  48.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This ale is really down under.
    Just how deep is hard to fathom Dave.

Name:  Natural selection.png
Views: 754
Size:  22.9 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Whilst we are 'Down Under', from New Zealand there is

Name:  PacificPaleAle_Roundel1-1.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  86.8 KB

I am not sure what would cause black sand in New Zealand, volcanic rock perhaps?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another one from Darwin.

Name:  images.png
Views: 760
Size:  12.9 KB
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Beers named Flagship have appeared before but not from this brewery. It was first brewed in 2005 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the battle of Trafalgar, when it had a different label.

Name:  Flagship.png
Views: 745
Size:  65.0 KBName:  beer_51559.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  14.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good find Dave.
    I never knew Hook Norton did that one.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A different Admiral.

Name:  beer_210153.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  15.7 KB

One for Guus.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I am not sure that this beer is still in production but the ship chosen has a very appropriate name.

Name:  whats-news_39_3114058360.png
Views: 735
Size:  361.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is an old beer rebadged.

Name:  beer_249590.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  56.6 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The Brewers wrote," H.P. Lovecraft’s, The White Ship, tells a story of a lighthouse keeper’s adventure aboard a mysterious ship where his curiosity and greed win out over his better judgment."

Name:  IPA.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  242.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Too much ale I guess!

Name:  beer_310070.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  14.2 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Something unusual today- a Japanese beer called Okhotsk Blue brewed with water sourced from icebergs and tinted blue with seaweed. If you thought like me that it was only Romulan ale, which was blue, I am afraid that we were wrong. There are several more.

Name:  ba3a0f9683ae5b375ebaafe2809c8db2.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  23.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Too esoteric for me Dave. I only have natural ice in my G&t. The odd pink tinge now and then is the most that I can abide.
    Bligh.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For today I give you.......

Name:  beer_351633.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  55.0 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I fear that the label on this ale called Powder Monkey does not give an accurate impression of the role. :)

Name:  beer_265770.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  35.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This one does even less so.
    It is just knot correct.

Name:  MonkeyFist.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  276.8 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Here is my previous offering's boss.

Name:  beer_323561.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  34.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My offering is.......another.

Name:  upload_HiLLDi-medium.png
Views: 665
Size:  66.0 KB

Rob

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I do not thing going to sea in (on?) one of these is practical.

Name:  JOLLY-PUMPKIN-Persimmon-Ship.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  249.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that is novel Dave.
    Here is my daily tipple.....

May well be true of your sea monster.

Name:  CpbUsnaXEAAtm5j.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  258.7 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Name:  450x450.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  59.8 KB

Ngaru iti means 'Little Wave' in Maori. However, it is actually brewed in Nottingham at the Black Iris Brewery.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And I didn't even know we had a Black Iris Brewery Dave!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Let's hope it don't turn into a vicious....
    Name:  c31e049524f4579e4fa370ef0b687045--brewery-newport.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  21.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Another one from Black Iris. Their address is Black Iris Brewery, Unit 1 Shipstone Street, Nottingham, NG7 6GJ, Rob.

Name:  450x450.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  56.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Interesting Dave.
    Shipstone's was the name of one of our big Brewery's until Green king took them over and then shut them down.
    Looks as if this is a new Micro Brewery raising from the ashes!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My daily ale is....

Name:  Boatswain ale.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  156.6 KB

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When you reach port the order is given to

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  78.0 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another Boatswain.....

Name:  Boatswain American IPA.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  122.8 KB
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Something we do not want to encounter when at sea.

Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  230.3 KB

I have no problems seeing the pictures you have uploaded to this thread, Rob, but are these from the internet rather than from your camera?
    Last edited by Naharaht; 08-23-2017 at 21:07.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A bit of merchant action today.....

Name:  Bushy ales.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  7.5 KB

Rob.