Thread: Some tidings from ARES at SPIEL games fair in Essen Oct. 2023

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Default Some tidings from ARES at SPIEL games fair in Essen Oct. 2023

I attended SPIEL games fair in Essen a couple of days ago, where ARES had a presence with a booth of medium size.

It was possible to test play various of their games, though I did not observe "Sails of Glory" featuring on any of the tables.
    Their newest game - "Quartermaster General" was still stuck in customs on Thursday - I bet the napoleonic forces had a hand in that - but they hoped that the game would arrive before the week-end.

I chanced upon "Argo" from this here forum at the ARES booth, who inquired about future releases for "Sails of Glory". He was informed that future releases were planned but that there was no date scheduled. However, ARES does not want to let the game die.

"Argo" took the opportunity to notifiy the ARES staff about some scaling mistakes regarding a number of SoG models.

As for products, ARES offered a "Buy two, get one free" deal for all SoG products from Starter Boxes over ships to accessories. In each group of three products, the cheapest one came free.

Prices were:

Starter Box: 70 Euros
    Special Ships (i.e. USS Constituton, HMS Victory): 25 Euros
    "Large" Ships: 20 Euros
    "Small" Ships: 15 Euros
    Chit Bags: 20 Euros
    Extra counter sets: 10 Euros

Plenty of ships were to be had, including the rare sort otherwise only available as part of the kickstarter campaign.

I managed to lay hands on - well, immediately and frantically grab, that is - (the last?) two sets of extra Ship Mats.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.

Thanks for the report!

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    lankin

Thanks for the insight.

Not such a good deal, but I was still wondering - it seems that Ares has produced nearly
    everything from SoG line, even the KS-ships:
    https://ks.aresgames.eu/products/cat...ails-of-glory/

Unfortunately, not everything is available worldwide.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks as if the KS-ships are out of stock. A pity because they are the only ones of which I do not have duplicates.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    lankin

Hi Rob,
    if you log in you can see that they are available in Europe, but not overseas:
    "In Stock (NOT AVAILABLE OUTSIDE Europe)"

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Lankin.
    I logged in to the site you gave us on your first post and discovered that the KS ones and also the ship mats packs are out of production.
    Thanks for your consideration.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    lankin

Hi Rob,
    I am sorry to hear, maybe they mean EU only.
    I still can order 3 of them only HMS Juno is out of stock.

Name:  ares-231014.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  130.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could be. It was Castor an Junon, which I was after as I only have one of them and I like to do both sides of each ship, but I guess I should be glad I at least got one of each. I'ts my own fault. I should have bought them when the KS was on in the first place! If I had listened to Nelson, I would have known that you can never have enough Frigates.

Rob.